150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Love the new 124. I'm going to test drive one on Friday. Here is where I'm at-

If the test drive goes well I think ill be happy with -

White arbarth with black hood.

Lux package

6 speed stick

And of course that car is no where to be found.

Is the stick that much better performance wise then the auto?

Is the GPS nav worth the lux package?

Is it really 8 months to build one? That's what the dealer told me.

Currently have a 2011 bmw z4, auto. Had a 2007 bmw z4 coupe stick that was a screamer. The 2011 is not. More of a cruiser.

So coming from the z4 will I be disappointed?

Any thoughts are aappreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a white Abarth w/ a black hood, so if you're like me you'll be happy :)
I don't have the lux package...
I do have a 6 speed stick, I couldn't see getting a sportscar w/o a stick
I don't think there's much to choose in performance between stick and auto.. I guess in a way an auto could actually be a bit faster in a straight drag race
The cars all have nav, you just need to get a chip, $100-$125 on eBay (or hundreds more from dealer)
I guess it is about 8 months to get the one you want if you order, some people report longer
no idea as I have never driven the BMW, but I don't think this car will disappoint.. test drive will tell

good luck

Reactions: Rando

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2 cents...

We just purchased a 2018 Abarth Blu Scuro MT two weeks. My Fiancee knows how to drive a stick (Brownie Points for her) and we enjoy it immensely. We have been trading off driving her Bella with my Jeep (stick) to work. Performance wise, is a stick that much better than an automatic? I expect you'll get 100 different answers. But, for us - the fun factor (even when sport mode is not engaged) trumps all other factors. Plus, I think driving a stick makes you a better driver. You can't text/curl your hair/apply eye shadow/etc. whilst driving a stick. I taught both my kids (24 and 21) how to drive my Jeep and when it was time for their first vehicle - they both got manual transmissions.

GPS + Lux? A good iPhone will suffice and Lux package is up to you. To us, it was worth it.

I've never driving a z4, so I can't comment. But, after your test drive, I think a lot of your questions will be answered. We test drove the Miata's and once we test drove the Spider... well, we bought one.

Since I bought a newly arrived Spider, I can't comment on the length of the order process. I believe there is a thread on this site just for that subject.

Good luck on your test drive and we hope you join the Spider Family!!! We sure are happy we did.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know where you are located, but one of the Fiat dealers in Portland, Oregon, has a white Abarth, MT, all options except the Brembo brakes, including black sport leather seats. No black heritage stripe, but it's better to use a wrap than have Fiat paint it anyway, and lots cheaper.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 2018 models have the option groups broken up which allows you to choose what's important to you. I was originally going to get a Lusso with the Puro-Bianco Tri-Coat paint, manual transmission and no options. Unfortunately, it was going to take a long time for a special order to come in. I found the exact car I wanted last weekend at a dealer 100 miles away. Only issue was it had the upgraded Bose system with nav and the safety and convenience package (blind spot monitoring, auto dimming mirror with homelink etc.) I am now very glad I have those option packages. With the top up, the view out the sides to the rear is nonexistent, so the blind spot monitoring is welcome. I also like the homelink on the mirror so I don't have to have the garage door opener in the car (not a lot of storage for stuff like that). I figure if you're going to spend 30 grand on a vehicle, you may as well spend a little extra to get what you want. No regrets. Oh yeah, the manual is the only way to go unless you commute for hours every day in stop and go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We just purchased a 2018 Abarth Blu Scuro MT two weeks. My Fiancee knows how to drive a stick (Brownie Points for her) and we enjoy it immensely. We have been trading off driving her Bella with my Jeep (stick) to work. Performance wise, is a stick that much better than an automatic? I expect you'll get 100 different answers. But, for us - the fun factor (even when sport mode is not engaged) trumps all other factors. Plus, I think driving a stick makes you a better driver. You can't text/curl your hair/apply eye shadow/etc. whilst driving a stick. I taught both my kids (24 and 21) how to drive my Jeep and when it was time for their first vehicle - they both got manual transmissions.

GPS + Lux? A good iPhone will suffice and Lux package is up to you. To us, it was worth it.

I've never driving a z4, so I can't comment. But, after your test drive, I think a lot of your questions will be answered. We test drove the Miata's and once we test drove the Spider... well, we bought one.

Since I bought a newly arrived Spider, I can't comment on the length of the order process. I believe there is a thread on this site just for that subject.

Good luck on your test drive and we hope you join the Spider Family!!! We sure are happy we did.
Looks great, actually she looks black! The front lip and mirror caps didn't come like that did they?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The 124 will be down on both power and fit and finish compared to your z4. At nearly 1000 pounds lighter, it will also feel and drive smaller (some find that to be a very good thing). Expect more road noise but tighter steering. It will be interesting to hear what you think after your test drive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, it's good info!

I agree, sports cars need a stick. I kind of forgot about the fun they are.

Thanks for the the info in the nav and blind spot. Is the wrap the way people are going? Does it mess up the car in the long term?

I love the Z4 but it drives like a Mercedes. Fast? yes, but I don't feel the road and I would have more fun throwing a car around at 30-40 then at 80. 2.5K for tires is wearing on me too.

I'm in Lauderdale so hopefully there are some cars out there. I'll be at Rick case alfa/fiat tomorrow and I'll report back.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
I've always admired the Z4, but never drove one because I was afraid I'd never want to get out! Even so, I appreciate the difference with the 124.
If you want a more lively experience, I think the 124 is perfect. And you will like the MT!
Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can't speak for the wrap from personal experience, but because I've been considering it, I have followed the posts here in the various fora. Several people who have the matte black factory paint report difficulty in maintaining it. I'm not sure why normal car washing materials wouldn't work, but apparently they don't.
Many have suggested wraps are better, in particular because they are removable without apparent damage to the paint beneath. I'm sure there are more wraps than original paint jobs out there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok. spent 2 hours at the dealership today and drove a stick and a auto. The stick was as it should be but I was surprised with the auto. The auto paddle shifted quick in sport mode and was fun. 5 minutes in the stick reminded me about driving a stick. as a daily driver i'm going with the auto. The car was quick, or at least felt quick. It was faster then I was thought it would be and i'm sure my z4 is faster but in that car you do not feel it. The high reving 124 made me feel more connected with the road. Now the bad news. the number on my trade was a insult. and the when the numbers came in the 124 was sitting at full list. I said really, nothing off? and the answer was we are giving you 1,500 off. My reply was no you are not. the factory was giving me 1,500 off. you are giving me nothing. I got up and started walking to the door. as I forgot they had my keys I agreed to a second try at the numbers. 3K more on my car and 3,500.00 off on the 124. OK, sounds better. First problem, the car they had did not have the lux package and I really wanted that. Second problem is there are no white/mat black cars with the lux pack in the area. They do have a white with the lux but no heritage stripe, so I'm thinking that car and a wrap. The 124 fit and finish is not far off from the Z4. lots of plastic in both cars. It's not on the same level but very close. They are also about the same size. That surprised me. Round two tomorrow.

Anyone with a wrap- does it look the same?

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The factory stripe can be a pain - the matte paint requires different products and techniques to maintain. I’d almost rather have a wrap...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The paint does look ‘better’ if you look really close at areas where paint would be better than a wrap (obviously). But from a couple of feet away, you’d not know the difference.

This is my first experience with a wrap, and had started investigating wraps. The quality you can get is outstanding, and is great if you want something off-the-wall.

As far as care goes, wraps and matte/satin wraps in particular still need different care: similar to matte paint. However, it’s not a big deal if you are used to washing your own car by hand, and like to take care of the details. Paint will last longer, of course. But a wrap can be readily removed or replaced, and costs about 1/3 the price of paint (give or take).

The reason matte paint takes ‘more care’ is that if you mess up cleaning, getting it repaired could be costly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ok. spent 2 hours at the dealership today and drove a stick and a auto. The stick was as it should be but I was surprised with the auto. The auto paddle shifted quick in sport mode and was fun. 5 minutes in the stick reminded me about driving a stick. as a daily driver i'm going with the auto. The car was quick, or at least felt quick. It was faster then I was thought it would be and i'm sure my z4 is faster but in that car you do not feel it. The high reving 124 made me feel more connected with the road. Now the bad news. the number on my trade was a insult. and the when the numbers came in the 124 was sitting at full list. I said really, nothing off? and the answer was we are giving you 1,500 off. My reply was no you are not. the factory was giving me 1,500 off. you are giving me nothing. I got up and started walking to the door. as I forgot they had my keys I agreed to a second try at the numbers. 3K more on my car and 3,500.00 off on the 124. OK, sounds better. First problem, the car they had did not have the lux package and I really wanted that. Second problem is there are no white/mat black cars with the lux pack in the area. They do have a white with the lux but no heritage stripe, so I'm thinking that car and a wrap. The 124 fit and finish is not far off from the Z4. lots of plastic in both cars. It's not on the same level but very close. They are also about the same size. That surprised me. Round two tomorrow.

Anyone with a wrap- does it look the same?
HI Bluejacket, I did the heritage stripe (wrap) on my car and you really can't tell the difference from a couple of feet away. Even close up it doesn't jump out at you as not paint. I'm glad I did the wrap as it can be removed in the future or changed to a different color at a significantly lower cost. It does also depend on the skill of the individual doing the wrap, as always the more skilled the better the end result. I chose a satin finish instead of a matte one because the wrap company said it would last longer (5yrs+ versus 3 to 5yrs) and it is easier to maintain. Cheers

·
Registered
291 Posts
A picture

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really wouldn't let the Heritage Stripe be a deal breaker. You have the option of having it wrapped, or getting it painted locally, perhaps in a satin black that would be easier to care for.

I really wanted the Heritage Stripe, but when I ordered my car, it was not available. Now that I have the car, I don't miss it at all. My car is pearl white, and that long sleek hood looks awesome with the pearl white paint glittering in the sun.

I haven't had any problems with glare or reflected light either.

The car looks great with the euro red bits and without the Heritage Stripe, it seems to me that the red pops more than it does with the Stripe. Photo attached.

It sounds like you have been offered a good deal. Since I ordered mine and waited over 10 months to get it. I wound up paying MSRP minus incentives, and I have no regrets.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Only you know if the NAV is worth it to you. My ca,r and all my motorcycles have NAV, I won't leave home without it.
I'm not a performance driver so it the automatic for me. I thing it better suites the narrow torques curve of a turbo motor as the shift points are going to keep the motor in the heart on the torque curve. On a NA engine that generally has a broader power band that extends into the higher rev. range a stick would be my choice. Beside todays automatics shift more quickly the most drivers can row through the gears.

Paul

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It really helped

Bought 2017 white abarth with auto and lux package. Getting the wrap now.

The first 30 miles with the car was awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts