Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fine yesterday, tried opening the boot this morning, nothing. Central locking had unlocked. Start button flashing yellowish, no dash or power to starter. Fluke says battery at 4.5 v which means it is dead and due for burial. Started on jumpstart but not happy, fuel gauge at zero and dials erratic. Off to dealer to be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Looks like your world has been turned upside down.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well its back and everything seems to work. Apparently it has had a software upgrade as the electronics where not totally shutting down once the ignition was off and the current drain was enough to totally flatten the battery over a period of days with only minimal milage, still doesn't explain the 4.5 volts though. We shall see (keeping booster battery in the boot for a few weeks).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, its fully charged and has held its charge for over 48 hours so as far as the dealer is concerned its a good battery, we shall see.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If it's that low a voltage after putting into the car, but holding charge out of the car, I would leave it disconnected until they can fine what is shorting out. That's a huge amount of voltage drop, and the next thing will be a fire.

However, if it's just draining down to 4.5 volts (which it sounds like it may be), that's also a very heavy drain and the battery won't last too long repeatedly draining down to that. A clamp on ammeter would definitely read something significant.

Personally, I would suspect the battery (best case scenario, and also the most likely).

Edit: also, I would concur with it being a 'boat anchor' - who uses unsealed batteries in cars?! Sounds crazy to me (but probably very cheap).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts