Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I just purchased and installed a Record Monza exhaust. In the process I recorded this comparison video to help others who might be considering making the plunge. My apologies for the brevity, it was 8am and I didn't want to bother the neighbours too much. That said, there are plenty of videos out there demonstrating the sound of the Monza on the road. I made this so you could have a side by side comparison of the general volume and tone. I hope someone finds it useful!

P.S - Totally worth it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Title should be "found and installed unicorn". It sounds great.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
So assuming one day these are available to the great unwashed in the US, how does it do on the 'significant other' test? When simply cruising, is it noticeably louder than stock? If I fitted one, would my missus be looking at me like I reverted back to being a 20 year old? Will my neighbors be calling the cops / HOA on me?

I wouldn't mind a little extra noise when 'on it', but would also like the car to remain livable when not.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Then you need to get this...

So assuming one day these are available to the great unwashed in the US, how does it do on the 'significant other' test? When simply cruising, is it noticeably louder than stock? If I fitted one, would my missus be looking at me like I reverted back to being a 20 year old? Will my neighbors be calling the cops / HOA on me?

I wouldn't mind a little extra noise when 'on it', but would also like the car to remain livable when not.

It's what I'm getting next month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So assuming one day these are available to the great unwashed in the US, how does it do on the 'significant other' test? When simply cruising, is it noticeably louder than stock? If I fitted one, would my missus be looking at me like I reverted back to being a 20 year old? Will my neighbors be calling the cops / HOA on me? I wouldn't mind a little extra noise when 'on it', but would also like the car to remain livable when not.
It is definitely louder and has more 'character' (little pops, gurgles and the occasional backfired) than stock under all driving conditions. It's actually a bigger difference than I thought it would be. I was under the impression that the difference for regular driving would be negligible. However, what isn't clear from much of the information out there is that the muffler on the Monza is actually much smaller than the regular muffler as well as it having the bypass valve.

Personally, if I was using this car as a daily driver I would not want anything other than the stock exhaust. However, as a weekend/once or twice a week drive, I think I'll be able to live with the exhaust when I do go somewhere casually for the incredible sounds it makes when out in the countryside. It really does 'match' the car (unlike some other aftermarket exhausts that I think sound 'wrong' in the context of the car, its heritage and its engine).

In summary, I think it's an exhaust that enhances the 'occasional' nature of the car (in that it is a special experience to drive), but that it does add noticeable noise to regular driving such that I can see many people finding irritating during daily use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts