Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone attempted some sound deadening in the trunk. Would this reduce road noise?

·
Registered
483 Posts
In this modification also. Come on guys, let's work on this, yes I know it might add some. Weight..:x
didn't you just do a modification to increase sound? why would you want to do modifications to further remove these cars from their most visceral state? sound deadening can be accomplished by removing the carpeting and placing a layer of duramat on the sheet metal. yes it will increase the weight, and probably give you some of those wonderful camryesque driving experiences... yay, not so much....

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If you're serious there's a few good inexpensive sound deadening out there. RAAMAT is one. I've used it on my 71 duster for sound and heat dissipation and it worked well. It is as good if not better then the brand that was named.

http://www.raamaudio.com

But IMHO...it's a convertible how quiet can you expect it to be?

And weight is not relevant if your goal is sound deadening.

Good luck and Aloha!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not exactly...but

didn't you just do a modification to increase sound? why would you want to do modifications to further remove these cars from their most visceral state? sound deadening can be accomplished by removing the carpeting and placing a layer of duramat on the sheet metal. yes it will increase the weight, and probably give you some of those wonderful camryesque driving experiences... yay, not so much....
The Auto Recambi exhaust does increase the sound, but I was aiming for free flow exhaust, and less weight in the rear end. The road noise from the rear tires at 70 MPH with the roof up is to me...very annoying...with the roof down, then everything is off the table, but with the roof up, I'm not looking for Mercedes Benz cabin quite, but less rear tire drone... thanks. :)

·
Administrator
1,925 Posts
Not to reduce the recommendations of others, but I've learned a great deal about sound treatment in automotive aspects, some of it the hard way (arguing with those who knew better and losing those arguments). Out of those experience and that research, I've discovered that the best products by far are made by Don at SoundDeadenerShowdown.com. Don has sent me sample products to inspect and they have all exceeded my expectations.

Don approaches sound treatment with products that address specific needs. Peel-n-stick products like Dynamat do a lot of things but nothing exceptionally well. To quiet the cabin, you need to address a few specific areas.

1. Vibration absorption. This is what sound deadeners are actually supposed to do; to absorb the vibrations of a flat panel of metal so it no longer produces sound. It is important to note that vibration dedeners require a thick flexible medium that attaches the sheet metal to another mass. This can be done either by attaching extrude butyl rope to two surfaces, such as the crash beam inside most automotive doors and the outer door panel itself, or through the use of CLD tiles. Note that CLD tiles require only a 25% coverage area. Those fancy pictures you see of 100% coverage in a car are excessively expensive and demonstrate a lack of understanding of acoustics. 100% coverage is not necessary to absorb vibrations. Furthermore, vibrations are not produced by curved metal parts; they are produced by the flat sections, so you need even less coverage still. The use of CLD tiles will keep weight low while providing real results.

2. Sound blocking mediums. This is where we get into the holes that exist in the vehicle. Anywhere that air passes, sound can also. In this regard, you need a mass loaded barrier that is able to block sound from traveling. SDS sells a MLV (mass loaded vinyl), which is attached using industrial strength velcro, backed by a closed cell foam for sealing and vibration reduction. This adds a substantial amount of weight and is typically only added to doors.

There are other areas to address, but these are the two big ones. The use of purpose-built products when addressing each area will significantly improve your results for dollar spent and keep weight increases to a minimum.

I'd recommend checking out Don's products at sounddeadenershowdown.com when you get a chance. I think you'll find that his methodical and scientific approach to automotive sound treatment is a breath of fresh air in an industry where marketing and fancy photos are the norm.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Open the radio, and put some good music on, this should quiet down any outside noise>:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some good advice. Road noise appears to emanates from the rear through the trunk. I can deal with the wind noise from doors.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have STP BOMB in the spare wheel well to prevent drone from the exhaust. I have done it bevor the exhaust install and don´t have a problem with drone.
I also will use some sound deadening in the door, because as a carhifi enthusiast I know that quiet doors improves sound a lot.

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you look at historical forum posts for miatas they have done a lot in that spectrum. One way is to remove all of the interior, (seats carpets etc.) and spray the car with rubberized undercoat or spray-on bedliner material, which seems like an easy way. there are several other things.
depending on where you live i could certainly understand wanting to get rid of tire noise. on a recent trip the roads in NC where so dang noisy! thei blacktop roads created more tire drone than what i get when i hit a patch of concrete roads around home.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Zero, as they weigh next to nothing. I am assuming you mean the CLD tiles most of us have used on this forum. There is another thread here by Xtremerevolution with a great tutorial on installation and how to

sounddeadenershowdown.com

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Out of curiosity, how bad is your fuel economy affected by adding sound deadening pads to your car?
how many pounds are you intending to add? Two hundred? Three hundred? ;)

The panels do not need to be fully covered, so you really are not adding a lot of weight at all. I can’t see how you can measure the effect of around ten pounds of extra weight.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
how many pounds are you intending to add? Two hundred? Three hundred? ;)

The panels do not need to be fully covered, so you really are not adding a lot of weight at all. I can’t see how you can measure the effect of around ten pounds of extra weight.
10 pounds? I'd be surprised if I added 10 ounces.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The type I bought locally (Sydney) weigh 480 grams each. I had to buy 12 but I used slightly less than two to cover the trunk well. Admora took 4 so I still have 6 left.

If anyone in OZ wants them let me know. $5 each plus potage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts