Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this may sound dumb, but I'm looking for some more information.
I would like to put spacers on my 2017 Abarth,
and yes I know the best way to fix a fitment issues is to just get bigger wheels but I really like the stock Abarth wheels.
so my question are:

what size spacers?

do I need lowering springs?

don't do spacers at all?

what are some of the risks?

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,127 Posts
my opinion I wouldn’t do it, reasons why have been explained in detail by engineering explained and many threads asking the exact some question on this forum. As to do you need lowering springs to have spacers. The answer is no but if you want spacers you want it for looks so I would say it would look terrible with the high ride height and wheels pushed out. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I wouldn’t do it either. The Abarth wheels are not particularly lightweight to start with; you’d be adding further unsprung weight to each corner. And you double the number of lug nuts you need to keep torqued from 16 (4 lugs x 4 wheels) to 32.

Some stores like Discount Tire won’t touch your car if they discover you got spacers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had 20mm spacers on my standard wheels. Worked well, looked great.
But I don't drive it at the limit.
I have now upgraded my tyres to +1 (comfort and speedo correction) so removed the spacers as they rubbed.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
330 Posts
Now I know this may sound dumb, but I'm looking for some more information.
I would like to put spacers on my 2017 Abarth,
NO SPACERS. If you would like to see what wheels, tires, and springs will do, read through this long post. Street Suspension Options for the 124 Spider

Here's a pic of an Abarth just lowered on stock wheels/tires and how it looks with wider wheels/tires.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Quality 15 or 20mm ones appear to push the wheel out to a more pleasing location in the wheel well. Remember that spacers, of course, are not a performance modification (I think everyone gets that) and are just an aesthetic modification - just like getting the same width wheels with a different offset.

Get quality ones that are hubcentric. Eurocompulsion have 15mm ones from Eibach. You'll need 2 sets, so pushes the price over $200 plus bolts.

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...s/products/eibach-15mm-wheel-spacers-fiat-124

I was thinking of getting some for my Abarth, but need new tires first for winter (plus motorcycle bits, etc, etc, too many vehicles stretches the dollars thin).

·
Registered
2017 Abarth spider
101 Posts
I have H&R spacers because they come in black.
25mm is B5024541
20mm is B4024542
18mm is B3624542
*mm’s per corner
** same number without the B is the normal ‘silver’ version

·
Registered
13 Posts
Abarth looks like a boat without them. This and lowering was my first modification. Porsche fit spacers as standard just for the stance alone. If its good enough for......... Really feel like i have a bonifide sports car now.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Spacers as standard doesn't make sense. Why not just design the suspension for the desired stance?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Ultimately, I added 20mm spacers all round. The ‘stance’ is better on the stock Abarth wheels, but the front may poke a little too much for some. I need to add mudflaps to the front, have them in the rear. I have snow tires on the stock rims so it’s not exactly a performance machine.

I’ll take the spacers off when putting the 8” summer rims on (which moves the outside of the wheel out around 12mm. The 235 tires are ‘full’ on that rim so it looks much better.

Anything Less than 20mm will require different studs in the hub (or cutting down the studs, if you aren’t going to put different wheels on), with the stock rims. There are divots on the back of the wheel where the stud, at 20mm spacers, can sit without interfering with the wheel.

Reactions: RedLightRay

·
Super Moderator
1,349 Posts
If all you care about is a particular look, by all means proceed. But if you’re looking for an actual performance improvement, it’s a waste of money. Julia DeGrace has a lot of experience, as do some other very capable members. Brian Goodwin comes to mind. Ask him if he’s using spacers to regularly spank the opposition at numerous events .
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Abarth looks like a boat without them. This and lowering was my first modification. Porsche fit spacers as standard just for the stance alone. If its good enough for......... Really feel like i have a bonifide sports car
Spacers as standard doesn't make sense. Why not just design the suspension for the desired stance?
Ultimately, I added 20mm spacers all round. The ‘stance’ is better on the stock Abarth wheels, but the front may poke a little too much for some. I need to add mudflaps to the front, have them in the rear. I have snow tires on the stock rims so it’s not exactly a performance machine.

I’ll take the spacers off when putting the 8” summer rims on (which moves the outside of the wheel out around 12mm. The 235 tires are ‘full’ on that rim so it looks much better.

Anything Less than 20mm will require different studs in the hub (or cutting down the studs, if you aren’t going to put different wheels on), with the stock rims. There are divots on the back of the wheel where the stud, at 20mm spacers, can sit without interfering with the wheel.
I staggered the spacers on mine. 20 at front 25 at rear to complement the wider rear
Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel
arch design of the abarth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i think this reinforces the desired look porsche wanted for their cars and also allowed for those who dont share the same sentiments. Abarths definitely need to be lowered as the wheel arch gap is way too big from factory. For Classica and lusso this is okay but the sportier abarth should reflect is sportier intentions. Spacers just complete the look imho

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
i think this reinforces the desired look porsche wanted for their cars and also allowed for those who dont share the same sentiments. Abarths definitely need to be lowered as the wheel arch gap is way too big from factory. For Classica and lusso this is okay but the sportier abarth should reflect is sportier intentions. Spacers just complete the look imho
Again, why doesn't Porsche just design the suspension's geometry to deliver the stance you say they want? Adding spacers just introduces weight and cost and reduces reliability, completely against sound engineering methodology. Or maybe it's to accommodate owners who don't want that stance and appreciate the opportunity to moderate it.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth spider
101 Posts
Ultimately, I added 20mm spacers all round. The ‘stance’ is better on the stock Abarth wheels, but the front may poke a little too much for some. …

Anything Less than 20mm will require different studs in the hub (or cutting down the studs, if you aren’t going to put different wheels on), with the stock rims. …
I can confirm the HR 18 mm spacers fit the wheel studs without damaging the inside of the wheels. (I went with 18 in the front and 20 on the rear)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I can confirm the HR 18 mm spacers fit the wheel studs without damaging the inside of the wheels. (I went with 18 in the front and 20 on the rear)
Didn’t think 18mm was available, just 15 and 20mm. But then, I didn’t look too hard and knew 20s fit. Good to know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts