Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently @murat124 and I have discovered a high misfire count on our cars. With the stock tune we are already seeing a small number of misfires; going up to P2, the rate of misfires increases several fold. The misfire rate is not high enough to trigger a check engine light but I think I can feel the effects (the car would sometimes stumble while cruising at low RPMs).

I am currently running Brisk Silver racing sparks (gapped at 0.020") and 4C coil packs which I thought was supposed to eliminate misfires, but... guess not?

Does anyone else running a tune see misfires on their car?

Has anyone tried any of the more premium plugs from Brisk, such as their multi-spark line? I'm starting to think that Brisk Silver is not really much better than OEM plugs.

https://www.briskusa.com/Spark_Plug_Assortment

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
The Brisk Silver plugs are good for racing, not so good for daily driving. I encountered the same low rpm/cruise stumbling when I used them on my 1.4T MultiAir Dart. The Brisks also don't last more than a few thousand miles, the center electrode erodes very quickly on them. You should frequently check your gap on the Brisks. I'm running NGK DCPR9EIX gapped at .024 in my Spider.

Reactions: HaZ

·
808 Posts
I am not a fan of Brisk. I think NGK is a much better choice for our cars. This opinion is simply based on what I have heard and experienced though, no solid science behind it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the input. So even the multi-spark line from Brisk is no good? I kind of like the concept but maybe it's overkill for our tiny cylinders.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have the same setup as you and also have slight misfire counts. However, I also had them while on the stock tune.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Try playing with the gap some. .020 might be too tight and if that's the case you're getting a weak spark. Bump it up to .024 and see if that makes any difference at all. Like Sharkcohen, I had the NGK DCPR9EIX in my car at .023 and my car did not run well on stock tune after the exhaust install. I went back to my stock plugs which only had 4,000 miles on them and opened gap to .024 and it seems to run pretty well right now. I briefly threw in the Brisks between these two plugs and while it didn't run terribly, I think my best results are where I am currently. But tomorrow my car could hate me and everything I said goes out the window.

Reactions: Mike34

·
808 Posts
For the record, I am still running the stock original Mopar plugs at the factory gap on my car.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I also still have the Mopar eom plugs gaped at what Greg told me I think .24 with euro drive lite
and not missing a beat.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had the Brisks in mine for a while. After a couple of fairly alarming stumbles on a freeway cruise, I ditched them. Running the OEM's at .024 now and no problems since.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Brisk RACING plugs are ideal for Track/AutoX use, for daily driving and spirited street use we have two different NGKs available.

The larger electrode and ground strap with the combination of the colder plug will cause fouling over a period of time during normal or cruising scenarios.

Street:

NGK - DCPR9EIX - https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine/products/ngk-dcpr9eix-spark-plugs-abarth-500t-500l-dodge-dart-fiat-124

NGK - SIKR9A7/OEM - https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine/products/ngk-fiat-spark-plugs

Track/AutoX/Hard Use:

BRISK - https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine/products/brisk-silver-racing-spark-plugs

·
Registered
388 Posts
I monitor misfire with OBD auto doctor app.
For 10 miles driving with 4-5 times WOT till 6000RPM
Cylinder1 2 misfire
Cylinder2 1 misfire
Cylinder3 0 misfire
Cylinder4 5 misfire
I never get CEL about misfire
These misfire with stock tune, I will test later with Phase2+

Is it normal for this engine?
When monitor misfire but not triggering the CEL because these number of misfires is acceptable.

Also when I change spark plugs 2 weeks ago, cylinder 1 plug have oil in the threads.
Yesterday, Re install plugs for cylinder inspection and check plug gaps.
There is oil again cylinder1 plug threads.

Is it normal to have it or something wrong with my engine.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Most applications aren’t measuring misfire, they are using heuristic algorithms to imply misfire. The issue is that all tunes pull timing under load/boost, most algorithms see that as misfire.

You must use multiecuscan to measure spark knock retard, it’s the only application that is reporting knock that our ECU actually records from the extended obd2 set.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Most applications aren’t measuring misfire, they are using heuristic algorithms to imply misfire. The issue is that all tunes pull timing under load/boost, most algorithms see that as misfire.

You must use multiecuscan to measure spark knock retard, it’s the only application that is reporting knock that our ECU actually records from the extended obd2 set.
I checked the supporting cars for multiecuscan but looks like 124 Spider not in the list.
Is there a way to use multiecuscan with 124 Spider?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked the supporting cars for multiecuscan but looks like 124 Spider not in the list.
Is there a way to use multiecuscan with 124 Spider?
Should be fine. The Abarth 124 ECU (Magneti Marelli IAW 8GMK) is on the supported ECU list. Forgot what non-Abarths use but it should be there. There's a free trial version so you can test it first.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Brisk RACING plugs are ideal for Track/AutoX use, for daily driving and spirited street use we have two different NGKs available.

The larger electrode and ground strap with the combination of the colder plug will cause fouling over a period of time during normal or cruising scenarios.

Street:

NGK - DCPR9EIX - https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine/products/ngk-dcpr9eix-spark-plugs-abarth-500t-500l-dodge-dart-fiat-124

NGK - SIKR9A7/OEM - https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine/products/ngk-fiat-spark-plugs

Track/AutoX/Hard Use:

BRISK - https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine/products/brisk-silver-racing-spark-plugs
Thanks for clearing that up. I do actually track the car.

Are the Brisk plugs just for burning race gas? If I track with pump gas, is there any point in running Brisk plugs? I don't suppose street plugs would have trouble lighting pump gas even under racing conditions, or would they?

Also, do you have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that Alfa 4C coils help with ignition? I have swapped between 4C coils and stock coils and so far have not noticed any difference.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Administrator
1,989 Posts
Interesting. Heat range 9 is a pretty cold plug. I'm used to much hotter. On the Cruze, we were running a heat range 7 from the factory, and I'm running a heat range 9 on it tuned with a big wheel turbo.

Has anyone noticed any reason to move to a heat range 10 when tuned on these cars?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts