Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A few quick questions related to the speakers in my Abarth:

I assume the tweeters are of the usual 1" variety, but what size are the woofers?

I also assume there is some type of crossover in place between the amp/head unit and speakers to divert frequencies to the appropriate speaker drivers. Is this assumption correct?

I absolutely love my Abarth, but the speakers are quite irritating at any volume that allows me to hear music with the top down. Ultimately I'm looking to swap them out but wanted to determine the size and setup before I talk to the speaker guys.

Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hello all,

A few quick questions related to the speakers in my Abarth:

I assume the tweeters are of the usual 1" variety, but what size are the woofers?

I also assume there is some type of crossover in place between the amp/head unit and speakers to divert frequencies to the appropriate speaker drivers. Is this assumption correct?

I absolutely love my Abarth, but the speakers are quite irritating at any volume that allows me to hear music with the top down. Ultimately I'm looking to swap them out but wanted to determine the size and setup before I talk to the speaker guys.

Thanks!
5 1/4 thru 6 1/2 should work in the doors but the stock speakers are very low impedance and you may have a tough time finding speakers that will interface well with the stock amplifier regardless of which system you have (Bose or not). You'll really need to replace the amp to make a significant improvement in sound. As for crossovers, most "car" tweeters are going to have some sort of crossover that comes with the speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!

Looking at the wiring diagrams at Ameridan's blog posting, I'm unsure of exactly what I'm looking at. Does the non-Bose audio system have it's own amp, separate from the main head unit? If so, where is it located? I'm just wondering if I can actually replace the amp, and how much room would I have for an aftermarket amplifier?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
232 Posts
The amp and tuner for the non Bose

Thanks for the info!

Looking at the wiring diagrams at Ameridan's blog posting, I'm unsure of exactly what I'm looking at. Does the non-Bose audio system have it's own amp, separate from the main head unit? If so, where is it located? I'm just wondering if I can actually replace the amp, and how much room would I have for an aftermarket amplifier?

Thanks again!
Unit is located on the passengers right foot kick panel.. to get to it, you must remove the passenger door sills, the remove the plastic pop rivet holding the kick panel. You won't have room for an aftermarket amp there. The Factory non Bose amp puts out 100 watts ( 25 x 4 ).
I just replaced my Factory door speakers with Polk Audio DB+ 6.5, 300 watt speakers from Chutchfield ( because they threw in the wiring harness and speaker adapter for FREE) and I can tell you they are more then enough and sound fantastic.
I also put Dynamat in the doors, trunk, wheel wells and also sprayed two cotes each on the wheel fenders of 3m undercoating soundproofing.
I will have some pictures and video up for everyone to see soon
Not Sure.

Here is the link:
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_107DB652/Polk-Audio-DB652.html?avf=Y
Here is link for 3m undercoating:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...SqSRQazmfbF_iAy_QkhoCRxUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Unit is located on the passengers right foot kick panel.. to get to it, you must remove the passenger door sills, the remove the plastic pop rivet holding the kick panel. You won't have room for an aftermarket amp there. The Factory non Bose amp puts out 100 watts ( 25 x 4 ).
I just replaced my Factory door speakers with Polk Audio DB+ 6.5, 300 watt speakers from Chutchfield ( because they threw in the wiring harness and speaker adapter for FREE) and I can tell you they are more then enough and sound fantastic.
I also put Dynamat in the doors, trunk, wheel wells and also sprayed two cotes each on the wheel fenders of 3m undercoating soundproofing.
I will have some pictures and video up for everyone to see soon
Not Sure.

Here is the link:
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_107DB652/Polk-Audio-DB652.html?avf=Y
Here is link for 3m undercoating:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...SqSRQazmfbF_iAy_QkhoCRxUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
;)

did you use the factory amp with these speakers? and what difference did they make in the sound? better clarity more volume, deeper bass, etc.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes , I used the Factory amp, and

did you use the factory amp with these speakers? and what difference did they make in the sound? better clarity more volume, deeper bass, etc.....
The difference in clarity was unbelievable, especially with the roof up. It is missing the low base, thus I am now getting ready to install a Kenwood self powered underseat subwoofer, that will slip on the floor BEHIND the driver seat. Walmart has them for $133.00 and the package includes all you need to hook it up. That Factory amp is adequate to push the Polk door speakers.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-...75035&wl11=online&wl12=26076188&wl13=&veh=sem

·
Registered
480 Posts
if you are going to place a powered subwoofer behind the seat, it might be prudent to place it behind the rear cabin fascia in the void below the roll bar assembly. if you detach the rear interior panels you will find a bunch of space which will not interfere with the limited leg room which would be affected by placing the sub behind the seat. also, it will protect the sub from the occasional rain from going topless and getting caught.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the tip...I'll take a look

if you are going to place a powered subwoofer behind the seat, it might be prudent to place it behind the rear cabin fascia in the void below the roll bar assembly. if you detach the rear interior panels you will find a bunch of space which will not interfere with the limited leg room which would be affected by placing the sub behind the seat. also, it will protect the sub from the occasional rain from going topless and getting caught.
There and maybe put some Dynamat in there also. I'll. Shoot you some pictures when I tackle this project..

Thanks
Not Sure;);)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts