Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spent the last few days in the Highlands and Islands of Bonny Scotland, these piccies/ video were taken on the Isle of Skye, these roads are meant for the Spider. I’m quite a new owner and so this is my first real trip (2k miles), thoughts:
  1. It’s an OK motorway/ highway car, it goes along quite nicely at 75/80mph, good fuel consumption and pretty comfortable. Road and wind noise are a little intrusive, but as I said, OK. The seats are pretty comfortable (5 hour stint), no oil consumed and the car didn’t ’miss a beat’;
  2. There’s not much space, the boot/ trunk just about takes two weeks of clothes, if you are prepared to ‘pack light’. Inside the car, ‘thingymagig’ room is next to zero, there isn’t anywhere to put anything and it soon starts to look like a 4 year old has been playing in it;
  3. But on these twisty single tracks, everything comes alive, this car is such fun. Firstly the power, mine is stock apart from the GFB+ and a V1 intake, there is plenty of poke for overtaking and more than enough to get the car out of shape. The stock tyres and suspension set up are brilliant, the car is very ‘pointy/ squirty’, great turn in and it drifts beautifully, it is so progressive and responsive to throttle inputs (and it’s a turbo...), once you turn in, you squeeze the throttle and the thing just squats down and powers out of anything. Just a word about the standard tyres, the Bridgestones are a great match for this car, it’s nonsense to call them ‘rubbish’ and so on, for general stuff like we do, perfect. Honestly, I wouldn’t want anymore power or grip, if I did I’d buy a Boxster;
  4. Top down is great fun, that exhaust note is mesmerising, windows up, heater on you can bomb along in any weather really, even rain at times;
  5. I have had loads of positive comments and people looking at the car, they have no clue what it is.
We have another week left, I can’t wait, tomorrow we will drive the Bealach na Ba pass to Applecross, it’s meant to be quite a challenge

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
790 Posts
A gorgeous car in equally gorgeous surroundings. My wife and I had the opportunity to visit Scotland (we had a friend living on Isle of Skye), it is truly ruggedly beautiful country.
It would be great to see it again once this COVID madness is over. Enjoy the rest of your trip and stay safe!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Beautiful car in beautiful surroundings. Our eldest son visited Skye in 2019 and his pics were incredible. How wonderful to be able to drive your spider on those twisty roads ! I have to agree with you on the stock wheels & tires and keeping the car essentially stock as I have also with a few minor cosmetic additions and an RM exhaust. The amount of compliments and attraction my 124 receives is astounding and negates me from bothering to do any mechanical mods to it....but to each their own !
Have a splendid journey and do have a wee dram or ten of evry scotch ye find.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We have been trying the factory Nav system alongside the Apple CarPlay system which I have recently installed. I have to admit to not being a fan of the factory nav system from day 1, the interface is so very old and clunky and the search functions are not at all intuitive. Some of our destinations weren’t to be found at all, or took ages using the search menu and the routing was, at times, at odds with logic. All I can say about that system is that it functions, just about. (All of this is ‘in my opinion’). Using the Google maps app in CarPlay is like stepping from a Model T to a Tesla, it is so much more intuitive and easy to use, all destinations are routed effectively, with multiple options, the mapping is easy on the eye and every single hotel, pub or restaurant is found in seconds, in the same search menu as post codes, addresses or anything else for that matter. Even easier is setting the destinations and ‘waypoints’ in the morning over a coffee and then simply plugging the phone in, I think it is brilliant. The trip itself is brilliant, if you live in the UK and like road trips, the NC500 is definitely for you, the roads are breathtaking and great fun, at any speed, from poodling to full-on.

·
Premium Member
Abarth 124 spider Auto
75 Posts
We have been trying the factory Nav system alongside the Apple CarPlay system which I have recently installed. I have to admit to not being a fan of the factory nav system from day 1, the interface is so very old and clunky and the search functions are not at all intuitive. Some of our destinations weren’t to be found at all, or took ages using the search menu and the routing was, at times, at odds with logic. All I can say about that system is that it functions, just about. (All of this is ‘in my opinion’). Using the Google maps app in CarPlay is like stepping from a Model T to a Tesla, it is so much more intuitive and easy to use, all destinations are routed effectively, with multiple options, the mapping is easy on the eye and every single hotel, pub or restaurant is found in seconds, in the same search menu as post codes, addresses or anything else for that matter. Even easier is setting the destinations and ‘waypoints’ in the morning over a coffee and then simply plugging the phone in, I think it is brilliant. The trip itself is brilliant, if you live in the UK and like road trips, the NC500 is definitely for you, the roads are breathtaking and great fun, at any speed, from poodling to full-on. View attachment 85419 View attachment 85420

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am so jealous! Highlands and Islands in the Spider is definitely on my wishlist, it looks so beautiful there - It is only a 12hr drive from Kent to Skye!

Will do it one day...

Reactions: Walshy6677

·
Registered
2017 Classica
131 Posts
The pictures are beautiful! What a wonderful drive. Thank you for sharing your pictures and story!
I do like our Nav system once I have the address or location programmed. I think it gives more timely guidance than Siri or Google. But you are right that the interface is tricky and outdated. Interestingly, my wife has a 2021 Volvo with an even more outdated (IMO) interface. We struggle using it and have defaulted to CarPlay in that car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spent an hour chasing a couple of Caterhams around Lair, great fun.
How was the sound deadening with the boot packed full? Planning on some longer trips and was wondering whether to add some sound proofing but with boot stuffed is it really necessary?

Love the placement advertising.
"Doesn't matter how small your boot is there is always room for Quokka Coffee"
I have some DodoMat sound deadening, but also the full boot does help. It’s not a quiet car this, if I wanted quiet I would have used the Lexus, but it does help on the longer runs to make things more tolerable.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car took a day off today, after spending some of yesterday chasing a couple of Caterhams around Lairg. The roads here are pretty lumpy and the Caterhams were hopping and bouncing everywhere, when the Abarth was pretty compliant, it has excellent damping, allowing you to use more of the performance. Also, the gear shift is a delight, short and quick. 6th is a bit long for some of these roads, but 3, 4 and 5 are perfectly judged, with just 500 revs between shifts, it allows you to really keep the motor in the sweet spot. And about the motor, so torquey and revvy, most engines are either or, this one is both and a real delight. Some car this, some trip!

·
Registered
599 Posts
The car took a day off today, after spending some of yesterday chasing a couple of Caterhams around Lairg. The roads here are pretty lumpy and the Caterhams were hopping and bouncing everywhere, when the Abarth was pretty compliant, it has excellent damping, allowing you to use more of the performance. Also, the gear shift is a delight, short and quick. 6th is a bit long for some of these roads, but 3, 4 and 5 are perfectly judged, with just 500 revs between shifts, it allows you to really keep the motor in the sweet spot. And about the motor, so torquey and revvy, most engines are either or, this one is both and a real delight. Some car this, some trip!
View attachment 85466
Sounds like you're having a great time. When are you coming back on your road home. I'm 5 minutes off M74 Junction 9. A pair of Red A124 would make for a nice picture. Gordon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Gordon, we are heading south on 16th, I’m not sure what time but if there is time we’ll stop by. My car is a little grubby after c700 miles, but nevertheless let’s see.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a spot of fly fishing yesterday, headed over to Wick, passing by Dunnet Head (UK mainlands most northerly point), the Queen Mothers home (Castle Mey) and the obligatory John O’Groats photo. The car has been impeccable again, not missing a beat over some pretty challenging roads.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
370 Posts
Fantastic country, Fantastic photos, Fantastically beautiful car, and an absolutely wonderful thread! I too am jealous! Thank You so much for this, Walshy6677!!! Looking forward to seeing a pic of your car and Gordon's car together! Happy Spidering, Best, s.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
370 Posts
P.S.: I'd love to know: While fly fishing, any Trout or Salmon? s.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi S
P.S.: I'd love to know: While fly fishing, any Trout or Salmon? s.
[/Q
Hi Steve, thanks for the comments, it really is some road trip this. We caught some lovely little Brownies (trout), I’ve never fly-fished before and so I was surprised I caught anything, our Ghillie must have been a great coach! Hopefully I can catch up with Gordon, not sure about the picture though, I feel his car will look absolutely pristine, whereas mine looks a little the ‘worse for wear’ after close to a 1000 miles so far. I have some cool video but can’t upload it as the 20mb limit for uploads is restrictive.

7986B47E-A1A5-4598-9AF3-34B0A90667BD.jpeg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I woke up to a scare this morning, we are heading South (home) and so I thought I’d check the oil. After 1200 miles or so, the oil is as when we left, clean and at the correct level. The problem was the crap in the catch can, which it turned out is normal (happy that the catch can is doing it’s job). Only photo’s today, as I have run out of plaudits for this great little car, some more pictures maybe…

1 - 20 of 22 Posts