Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Melbourne, Oz, and have just bought a 124 Spider to replace my 1965 Triumph TR4A.

I've had a 4A as my daily driver for 22 years, and finally found something new that I actually like the look of, like the specification of, and which is fun to drive. Great fun....

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Melbourne (from another Melbourne owner in Port Melbourne). But after a TR4A, how come you didn't go for an RF?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome mate! The Melbourne club is indeed growing!!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Welcome. Don't tell me the TR4A was something you did not "actually like the look of, like the specification of, and which is fun to drive." I had a TR3, and the TR4 was absolutely gorgeous in comparison. But even the TR3 was fun to drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to another Melburnian.
TR's close to my heart as well.
Had a mint TR3A (attached), a GT6, and numerous Healeys, MG's and Morgans.

I'm enjoying the practicality, reliability, heated seats, air con, modern roof side of having a modern rear drive manual roadster that I am using as my weekday daily driver on most days.

I do miss the toying around with British cars, but not the downside of 50 + year old cars.
If I go again will revert back to a Morgan where you get the best of both worlds, but for now really enjoying the Abarth, especially snce getting the Monza exhaust

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all.

The 4A is a beautiful car, very pretty to look at, lovely to drive, with a glorious view from the driver's seat over the walnut dash to the codpiece bonnet bulge, but the spider gives me an interior light, a radio that can be heard over the engine, exhaust, and windage sounds, and a demister that does not involve an old hand towel. Also, I don't envisage crawling under the spider. My TR4A was a 35 year old restoration; a very good, straight, rust free car, but the paintwork tired, the body a bit loose, and the clincher - a rear main seal leak. It needed a body off restoration, and I wasn't going there. In 22 years of TR4A's, the spider was the only car I'd seen that made me think "I wouldn't mind one of them". Classic lines, unlike the ultra modern lines of the MX, and Italian at heart. Michelotti penned the TR4A, and I have a few Moto Guzzi. I like the way Italians engineer stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And for Steve, some pictures of Guzzis.

Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels - sublime. Apologies to George Orwell.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, all.

The 4A is a beautiful car, very pretty to look at, lovely to drive, with a glorious view from the driver's seat over the walnut dash to the codpiece bonnet bulge, but the spider gives me an interior light, a radio that can be heard over the engine, exhaust, and windage sounds, and a demister that does not involve an old hand towel. Also, I don't envisage crawling under the spider. My TR4A was a 35 year old restoration; a very good, straight, rust free car, but the paintwork tired, the body a bit loose, and the clincher - a rear main seal leak. It needed a body off restoration, and I wasn't going there. In 22 years of TR4A's, the spider was the only car I'd seen that made me think "I wouldn't mind one of them". Classic lines, unlike the ultra modern lines of the MX, and Italian at heart. Michelotti penned the TR4A, and I have a few Moto Guzzi. I like the way Italians engineer stuff.
Wow - beautiful TR4. I'd always wanted one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts