Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth 6MT, EC V2 intake, GFB DV+, Record Monza exhaust, and of course a stubby
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great mini-vacation in Niagara Falls and a couple of other parks in western NY, things came to a literal crashing conclusion on the drive home.

Driving on the New York thruway (interstate highway) at highway speeds, a small deer hopped over the median and into my spider.

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth 6MT, EC V2 intake, GFB DV+, Record Monza exhaust, and of course a stubby
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This little car is tough though…drove it the rest of the 90 miles back home, no issues. Off to the shop tomorrow, fingers crossed they can find the parts they need to make it beautiful again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry. They need to extend deer hunting season in NY. I hit one in May 2020. $12k in damage:
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

• Sad
Reactions: jd_ny

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
By the looks of it you’re A pillar looks bent if it is they will total the car that’s unfortunate because it’s still beautiful by the way if they do I would keep it and sell the parts
Hopefully just trim.

I haven't lived anywhere that deer weren't a problem. The Thruway seems as bad as any interstate highway.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
569 Posts
Sorry. They need to extend deer hunting season in NY. I hit one in May 2020. $12k in damage:
Apparently, despite gun sales being up, actual hunting is down. I've seen reports that deer populations are becoming a bigger problem everywhere because deer hunting isn't as popular as it used to be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the looks of it you’re A pillar looks bent if it is they will total the car that’s unfortunate because it’s still beautiful by the way if they do I would keep it and sell the parts
Hoping the A pillar wasn’t bent, really hard to tell with the trim broken.

if it is, I knew the car would get totaled. Then have to get all my mods off it so I can put them on the next one. Not ready to be done with a spider yet.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
569 Posts
Hoping the A pillar wasn’t bent, really hard to tell with the trim broken.

if it is, I knew the car would get totaled. Then have to get all my mods off it so I can put them on the next one. Not ready to be done with a spider yet.
Would be a perfect car to stick a roll cage in though at that point.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Apparently, despite gun sales being up, actual hunting is down. I've seen reports that deer populations are becoming a bigger problem everywhere because deer hunting isn't as popular as it used to be.
Beside hunting being seemingly less popular and the number of actual hunters having decreased the number of deer have increased. Deer are apparently one the few animals that have learned to and have adapted well to living with humans. So in spite of the ever increasing expansion of our human population the deer population has grown accordingly. I recall in the early 1970's the Michigan DRN had drastically restricted the harvesting of does in order to increase the size of Michigan's deer herd, then estimated at less than 1 million animals. Today's Michigan deer herd is estimated at well over 2 million and the DNR bemoans the lack of hunters and does all it can to increase hunting opportunities and issues multiple doe permits to hunters and still the herd is growing.

·
Registered
Fiat 124 Spider Lusso - White with tan interior
20 Posts
Hi
Maybe a surpise to USA/Canada etc drivers but deer are becoming an issue in some parts of the UK. A friend had her audi A3 smashed up by a deer strike only 20 miles from London. There are companies here who are becoming licenced to hunt deer and they then sell the meat, its low fat and the animals have an almost natural life until BANG and then they go to the butcher.
I used to live in Canada where they sold "fender whistles" which were supposed to be audible to wildlfe thereby causing them to seek cover......do they work? who knows!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts