Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth 6MT, EC V2 intake, GFB DV+, Record Monza exhaust, and of course a stubby
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dropped off at the body shop today - estimate is about $6k for repair, all cosmetic and no hidden damage. Now just have to hope the parts are available from Fiat in a reasonable timeframe…..

on a side note, as this was my third deer incident in about three years, my daughter asked me if it’s actually my job to hit deer:rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dropped off at the body shop today - estimate is about $6k for repair, all cosmetic and no hidden damage. Now just have to hope the parts are available from Fiat in a reasonable timeframe…..

on a side note, as this was my third deer incident in about three years, my daughter asked me if it’s actually my job to hit deer:rolleyes:
Good that your A Pillar didn't bend
good luck with the parts

·
Registered
588 Posts

I've hit 2 in 2 years and 4 in my lifetime. All in NY. Good thing we have never planned a meet up, I fear the deer would be privy! Conversely, you'd think with 7 between us, we've met our quota!! I hate deer!!! Don't even like eating them.

Good luck with the repairs. I had to wait the longest for the headlight. Looks like you don't need one, so hopefully the rest won't take too long.

Reactions: cwomsa and jd_ny

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hi
Maybe a surpise to USA/Canada etc drivers but deer are becoming an issue in some parts of the UK. A friend had her audi A3 smashed up by a deer strike only 20 miles from London. There are companies here who are becoming licenced to hunt deer and they then sell the meat, its low fat and the animals have an almost natural life until BANG and then they go to the butcher.
I used to live in Canada where they sold "fender whistles" which were supposed to be audible to wildlfe thereby causing them to seek cover......do they work? who knows!
Regarding the fender whistles? Nope. Just a waste of $10 that neither functions or looks good. A literal double fail.

I had heard about the deer hunting in the UK via a documentary I was watching that was one of those "foodie" gourmet travelling chef kind of things. They bagged some fresh Bambi, and then headed off to a nice restaurant to prepare some fresh cuts. I also remember them hunting what I would call a short, stocky kind of deer (can't remember the name), but apparently since they don't really have much in the way of local predators, they're exploding in population and raising havoc in both roads and gardens. I can buy farmed deer meat here in Calgary (along with bison, elk, and of all things.... yak...). Growing up in a hunting family I miss it hugely, but in deference to my wife's sensitivities, I no longer hunt. I have a feeling with the ongoing increases in food prices in the supermarkets that hunting is going to gain a resurgence in popularity again.

Reactions: jd_ny

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth 6MT, EC V2 intake, GFB DV+, Record Monza exhaust, and of course a stubby
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've hit 2 in 2 years and 4 in my lifetime. All in NY. Good thing we have never planned a meet up, I fear the deer would be privy! Conversely, you'd think with 7 between us, we've met our quota!! I hate deer!!! Don't even like eating them.

Good luck with the repairs. I had to wait the longest for the headlight. Looks like you don't need one, so hopefully the rest won't take too long.
If we are ever going to do a meet up, it won‘t be in NY! Sorry to hear someone else has the same bad luck with deer that I do!

·
Registered
907 Posts

When I first relocated to my present location twenty years ago, which is rural, I hit 9 dear in the first 8 years I lived here. Luckily, even though I've come might close, I've not hit one since.
Hopefully the stars will align and the required parts will be available resulting in a relatively quick turnaround at the body shop.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Stopped for one of these deer last night in my neighborhood on the way to the LIDLs less than 1mi away. Full stopped the car and stared that varmint down till it ran completely off. As it finally ran off, I told that deer I don't mind sharing my road, but next time it sees me coming, it better skeedaddle. It has likely gathered a gang by now and's waiting for me to show back up, so tonight I will be scootering out to pick up dinner. That way if we do collide, the Spider is parked safely back home in the garage with the doors shut and locked. Dang ole' deer. Menaces.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi
Maybe a surpise to USA/Canada etc drivers but deer are becoming an issue in some parts of the UK. A friend had her audi A3 smashed up by a deer strike only 20 miles from London. There are companies here who are becoming licenced to hunt deer and they then sell the meat, its low fat and the animals have an almost natural life until BANG and then they go to the butcher.
London used to be the worst for Deer but then I lived near this side. Hundreds of Epping Forest deer may be killed to keep population at 'suitable' level
Richmond has the same problems on the other side.

... anyways with all this talk of deer strikes, I will shut up about my stone chipped windscreen

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow. That sucks. Good luck to you. Hopefully whoever does the repair will be willing to look to Mazda for parts. My windshield needs to be replaced. There are none of those from pieces available from fiat and I’m told will be months out. Fortunately the ding in the windshield is passenger side. They did the patch thing they do to make sure it didn’t spider crack so I can drive it.
I saw another post where guy hit a deer. Was $15,000 to get it all fixed up. And he was stuck waiting for parts for months.
Sadly this may be the denise of our little wonderful cars. Repairs are quickly going to get so expensive from accidents that the insurance company will just take the easy was through and total them. Engine parts and granby parts and such will be a available long into the future. But fiat unique body parts are already disappearing. And it’s doubtful now that they’ve been bought up by stelantis that they will really care about keeping customers of a product they no longer make happy.

·
Registered
2019 Classic
6 Posts
Hi
I used to live in Canada where they sold "fender whistles" which were supposed to be audible to wildlfe thereby causing them to seek cover......do they work? who knows!
Installed whistles on our BMW when we moved up to Washington ages ago. Can't confirm they worked....but we never saw/hit a deer. Forgot all about the whistles! Time to go online for Spider's...can't hurt!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
OMGOSH! Are you okay?
We were fine. Shocked when it happened, but no more so than having a tire blowout on the highway. I think we were lucky in how it hit, could have been far worse.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,323 Posts

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

$6,000 is not bad , considering that a minor scratch these days is a $2,000 repair

Reactions: jd_ny
21 - 33 of 33 Posts