·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
So sorry to hear this happened to you. I was rooting for you to pull some great times. Get that car on a frame machine and convert it to a dedicated track car.
Absolutely , the car technically is just a dedicated track car. I was lucky at the 7s shop the owner let us use his lift and tools to repair the blown gasket ( he said I saw you here last time and have been looking into this car since ) - side note, many others are now considering this car for a track car after they saw it yesterday . Really is gorgeous and performs so well.
Back to the owner of 7s racing , he feels confident he can remove a solid 300 pounds from the car and re enforce with roll bars . That would put the car in the 2100 pound range. That alone will get the car in my opinion under the 50s at button on semi slicks.
lots of options ahead & with it lots of costs ahead 😂

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Did you buy track insurance? I don't know if they cover timed events, as I have no experience with that stuff.

So are you going to be getting a new car or repairing? I am getting ready to sell my car. I will be taking the Recaro seats and Brembo brakes off, but it already has a Blackbird roll bar in it. I would sell it to you for the exact pay-off, if that is what you would like to do.
This is really cool of you. unsure at this point but since it is a dedicated track car it may be repairable since everything important seems to be ok.
it frame is totally messed which I don’t thunk it is ( I feel my alignment is still good too haha ) I do have two more classica’s I may just transplant the diff and othwr goodies to. I just really don’t want to instal another roll bar , that was a B . Everything else I feel at this point I can transfer in a day or two .

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
I know a really good body guy in LA if it helps. Mulholland Motorsport. Julio, the owner, is a personal friend of mine. Owns an Exige and an Abarth 500 among others. Supported/sponsored/raced the Lotus challenge series and is familiar with track cars. He did a lot of work to keep those poor fiberglass body Lotus in shape over the years.
This is great . I will connect with him . I have a body guy too in Van Nuys just not sure if he does frame work

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Aloha @Spoolin32 I saw your post on instagram this weekend and was happy you got the chance to fix the turbo gasket...
Then I said oh yeah Milo raced...let me check out his thread.....OMG. grrrr...sad.... As others have said...VERY HAPPY YOU ARE OK.

I know you are gonna get her all fixed up and its cool to hear others have taken an interest in the 124 for tracking.

keep that chin up and make it happen man...you got the support of the forum behind you!

aloha mike

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Absolutely , the car technically is just a dedicated track car. I was lucky at the 7s shop the owner let us use his lift and tools to repair the blown gasket ( he said I saw you here last time and have been looking into this car since ) - side note, many others are now considering this car for a track car after they saw it yesterday . Really is gorgeous and performs so well.
Back to the owner of 7s racing , he feels confident he can remove a solid 300 pounds from the car and re enforce with roll bars . That would put the car in the 2100 pound range. That alone will get the car in my opinion under the 50s at button on semi slicks.
lots of options ahead & with it lots of costs ahead 😂
Removing 300 pounds is HUGE. I don't know where he'll take so much from. I can see about 100 pounds in the convertible top and removing A/C and maybe dropping in a lighter weight front windshield. The side windows are already pretty light. If you gut the whole interior and just have a basic gauge board that's another 50-60 pounds maybe? But then you'll add most of that back at least in steel reinforcement. If you look in Webster, it defines a race car as a money sucking pit of never ending cycles of disappointment and joy. Also, after your crash yesterday I told Phil maybe I'll buy more parts from you now. He gave me the TOO SOON meme. I was just thinking ahead!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Haha deffinitely too soon 😂 but in a week everything may be for sale 😂.
@MiniDreamCar believe it or not I haven’t watched that yet but here’s something exciting ....
On my crash lap when I was in a low 50 run , behind me in my head was the rx7 , but after watching this video it looks like Daijiro Yoshihara was piloting one of the white Supra’s @sdlynx friends I believe and he was hitting 157.5 in it . Keep in mind Dai is a pro driver and won overall fastest time of the day yesterday . He also taught me how to drift 10 years ago at streets. He was a rockstar drift driver from japan. Any way he was behind me after he passed the rx7 and after my warm up lap of 2:02 we were both in hot lap mode and I pulled so damn far away from that Supra I couldn’t see him anymore ... until I met the wall of barrels 😂. Another huge accomplishment in my book :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Haha deffinitely too soon 😂 but in a week everything may be for sale 😂.
@MiniDreamCar believe it or not I haven’t watched that yet but here’s something exciting ....
On my crash lap when I was in a low 50 run , behind me in my head was the rx7 , but after watching this video it looks like Daijiro Yoshihara was piloting one of the white Supra’s @sdlynx friends I believe and he was hitting 157.5 in it . Keep in mind Dai is a pro driver and won overall fastest time of the day yesterday . He also taught me how to drift 10 years ago at streets. He was a rockstar drift driver from japan. Any way he was behind me after he passed the rx7 and after my warm up lap of 2:02 we were both in hot lap mode and I pulled so damn far away from that Supra I couldn’t see him anymore ... until I met the wall of barrels 😂. Another huge accomplishment in my book :)
Man, his 1:41 in that FRS was an insane time. I thought he was gonna pull off a 1:40 for a minute there lol. Looks like Street class had a lot of fast drivers though.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I pulled so damn far away from that Supra I couldn’t see him anymore ... until I met the wall of barrels 😂.
So what you're saying is he still crossed the line ahead of you? I know, I know. Too soon. 🤣

But seriously, that is a big accomplishment. That dude is considered one of the world's best drift drivers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
So what you're saying is he still crossed the line ahead of you? I know, I know. Too soon. 🤣

But seriously, that is a big accomplishment. That dude is considered one of the world's best drift drivers.
Technically my clocked past finish line time was still faster then his clocked past finish line in the Supra . This was just on a perfect session track was warm but weather was cooling down so car ran perfect and the track wasn’t slick . I can’t believe I biffed it on an easy left before a nice long straight .
@sdlynx that 86 was wicked fast .
makes me happy To see a guy from japan dominating in an 86. @Phillip33 true Takumi spirit

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Technically my clocked past finish line time was still faster then his clocked past finish line in the Supra . This was just on a perfect session track was warm but weather was cooling down so car ran perfect and the track wasn’t slick . I can’t believe I biffed it on an easy left before a nice long straight .
@sdlynx that 86 was wicked fast .
makes me happy To see a guy from japan dominating in an 86. @Phillip33 true Takumi spirit
Were you looking at your predicted lap time and got excited? I did that one time when I saw I was about to hit a nice time. Too much throttle exiting the final turn and I went spinning off the track. Fortunately no wall, just dirt and grass. I was also carrying a lot less speed than you were.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Were you looking at your predicted lap time and got excited? I did that one time when I saw I was about to hit a nice time. Too much throttle exiting the final turn and I went spinning off the track. Fortunately no wall, just dirt and grass. I was also carrying a lot less speed than you were.
That’s what I’m saying I was entering the last corner at 1;47 that means a 1:52- 1:53 lap . I usually enter it 63-65 to be safe but went 72 this time wanting to lock it down and ended up drifting past the end of the track surface and two wheels hit dirt on the straight. Then I punched it to try and pull out of it back on track and that’s when I lost it . Could have simply gone off 🤦‍♂️ That low 50 lap tho .... mannnn

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
1:41...?

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I installed that bar in my old Classica, then uninstalled it and re-installed it in my Abarth a few weeks later. I know the feeling of not wanting to do that again!!
This is really cool of you. unsure at this point but since it is a dedicated track car it may be repairable since everything important seems to be ok.
it frame is totally messed which I don’t thunk it is ( I feel my alignment is still good too haha ) I do have two more classica’s I may just transplant the diff and othwr goodies to. I just really don’t want to instal another roll bar , that was a B . Everything else I feel at this point I can transfer in a day or two .

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
lots of front and rear downforce ,wide sticky tires and talent
we’re such plebes thinking 1:49 was almost unattainable 😂

·
Registered
258 Posts
321 - 340 of 372 Posts