Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

381 - 400 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #384 (Edited)
Time to get this thread back on track!

massive thanks to @Chainringtattoo for selling me his beautifully built car. It was at cars and coffee in Malibu then on a drive with some exotics and track prepped gt3. On Steve’s build, with scrubbed tires, not a single one could keep up! You dialed in the most perfect dual purpose car that I almost wanted to forget about racing.

but I can’t stop racing, and we’re back to a time attack dec 6th racing agains some legendary Fd Mazda rx7s at buttonwillow. I will have a live Stream GoPro 360 so you may be able to follow along.
Toby from EC is dialing in a tune for me for the stuffed turbo that’s being transferred over, APR cut me a custom carbon fiber splitter and ends to match my previous look, and kaze spec engineering is creating a splitter mount with a quick release allowing me to remove the front splitter when I wish. my white trunk is being painted red and transferring to the new car for all the rear downforce while preserving the beautiful original trunk.
Ohlin long stroke coil overs are being upgraded to 11 front 6 rear spring rates with the helper springs and I got my hands on a set of Nankang SL-1 slicks to test which are scheduled to come out next year, and compare them to a set of Hoosiers.

March, the goal is to attend superlap battle at circuit of the americas in TX and a few other fun things will be happening from now to then.

once I figure out the live link, I’ll post here and on my Instagram if anyone is interested in following, should be a fun event with a lot of fast cars. Let’s see how she does 🔥

Oh and don’t worry, if I go off, I’ll stay off. No need to fight it to finish a lap :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Good plan. It would be cool if you could run a lap as it is right now (with new tires of course) and then see how much improvement the stiffer springs and downforce adds. Keep in mind those Karcepts already provide a much higher degree of stiffness than you are used to on the KWs with stock sway bars.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Good plan. It would be cool if you could run a lap as it is right now (with new tires of course) and then see how much improvement the stiffer springs and downforce adds. Keep in mind those Karcepts already provide a much higher degree of stiffness than you are used to on the KWs with stock sway bars.

Actually planned on that just for you. But Hoosiers are expesive and the car needs to be re aligned, that tipped the whole operation. Based on my experience driving it now, I think it would run about 6 seconds behind the aero and stiffer rate set up.

The kws with the wing at 0 degrees, the cars movement made me hesitant to push it, push it I did and it ran a few seconds behind.
One degree higher of an angle solved half the issues and running those kws a few clicks stiffer solved the other. Dropped a few seconds. That’s when I knew I needed stiffer rates even on kws.

The 11/6 is stiffer than the 10/5 I was running and really needed for full slicks. Hopefully it goes even faster.

but I am bummed because I did want to do it for you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Weather says 70 and cloudy. Perfect turbo weather. Unlike the 105 I suffered at thunderhill this summer.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Hi guys and gals,
Quick release splitter mount brackets have been made for the 124 👏. They leverage the side and inside of the crash beam, come down and are angled perfectly to connect with the front bumper support. They are pre threaded and come
off with the removal of two pins on each side. Very very snug pins, so no one paint the inside of that red 😂. I will pre measure the hole marks for the APR splitter, so going forward if you are interested in either product, they will go hand in hand👏. For anyone that’s installed a splitter, hours upon hours of your life will be saved measuring and figuring out where to tap into. You will also see a revised APR splitter this weekend for those that crave a slightly more aggressive look.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi guys and gals,
Quick release splitter mount brackets have been made for the 124 👏. They leverage the side and inside of the crash beam, come down and are angled perfectly to connect with the front bumper support. They are pre threaded and come
off with the removal of two pins on each side. Very very snug pins, so no one paint the inside of that red 😂. I will pre measure the hole marks for the APR splitter, so going forward if you are interested in either product, they will go hand in hand👏. For anyone that’s installed a splitter, hours upon hours of your life will be saved measuring and figuring out where to tap into. You will also see a revised APR splitter this weekend for those that crave a slightly more aggressive look.
I still have an unused APR splitter sitting in my garage. Perhaps I will run it with these splitter brackets!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Very cool on the brackets, do you happen to have a direct link to the post? I don't use Instagram and the website wont let me browse all the way down without asking to log in. I too have an uninstalled splitter and would love to get my hand on a set if it makes the install that much easier. Thanks!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Very cool on the brackets, do you happen to have a direct link to the post? I don't use Instagram and the website wont let me browse all the way down without asking to log in. I too have an uninstalled splitter and would love to get my hand on a set if it makes the install that much easier. Thanks!
I will ask and pass the information along 🤙.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #400 (Edited)
Can’t begin to express how nice it was to be back at a track and in the cockpit of my favorite car.
Things are escalating quickly with this build,
11/6 springs have been installed, stiffer rating compare to the 10/5 clubsports but still soft and comfortable. Even cranked to nearly the stiffest settings with upgraded karcept sway bars, the car plays and leans more than my old set up. The valving does absorb bumps much better, let’s see how this progresses as the tuning continues.

Phase 2 motor trend full rear upper and lower links/ camber arms along with Megan front upper Camber arms are en route so we can really play with geometry.

it was amazing seeing @murix and @RE-Vision, I must say he is one of the most intelligent guys at setting up his suspension and maximizing the mechanical grip from the 124, excited to see what he does. I got to drive @murix white abarth out on buttonwillow and it felt amazing being back in a white car 🥲, always great to see you and hang out brother.

CCP Fabrication hard top has arrived and it’s gorgeous. Not only does it look great, it provides a few additional inches of clearance for my head. The car is off to have a custom rear half cage built maximizing the height and width of the hard top ( 2+ inches higher from the blackbird rollbar.

I removed two turbos this weekend. The Eurocompulsion stuffed turbo from the white car to swap over to the red, and the oem turbo from the red car. I must say I’m an expert at removing turbos now :). Really looking forward to the added power, the car just does not feel the same without that turbo. This time I’m going down the path of water / meth spray VS E85. Waiting on a new Vaitrix module and a few other goodies from Eurocompulsion and I will update my post regarding that set up.

A ton of racing events are ahead starting next month and including the return to Global Time Attack this year. Time to get this thread back on track and squeeze this 124 for all it’s got :). The driver too!

Attachments

381 - 400 of 420 Posts