Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Finally got around to installing the Forge BOV I ordered from EC and only wish I did it sooner . In my case my factory diverter valve could not handle the extra phase 2 boost and after taking it apart the plastic piece felt very loose and flimsy ( night and day from the forge kit ) . Thanks @Jon for posting the installation instructions, made it super easy to install. Definitely recommend using a set of pliers to really strap down the zip ties that extra click on each end . My car now has about 8500 miles and I know In some other cars the factory diverter valve works just fine. I know I had a faulty DV since i notice more boost from the beginning to the end & no longer feel shaky deliver above 5k 🙌 . Can’t wait to get back out to the track
I definitely need to upgrade to the Forge valve.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Some pics from this past track event . A lot more to come this year . Great meeting you @sdlynx 🙌 we must do it again & hope many other 124s meet us out !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
What a thrilling time by the looks of it. Are you able to hold your own against the Honda S2000's?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What a thrilling time by the looks of it. Are you able to hold your own against the Honda S2000's?
The S2000 community is awesome with some pretty incredible cars . Many of them I’m friends with and similar with the 124 given the right power to weight ratio and supporting mods it’s very competitive . The guys here are all time attack runners & very capable drivers. They are either boosted / supercharged set ups. On straight always with the exception of the white one behind me which is lighter and making 150+ more wheel horsepower we run neck to neck and in the corners it really comes down to the driver. Some with aero I pull on through corners & some with aero in higher speed turns pull on me . Also to note this is my second time on this track and I’m still learning it as it’s very technical & these guys are regulars . I think that alone speaks volumes about the 124s potential. Time wise at buttonwillow these guys range from 1:58 to 2:02 as their person best on this track & the white one ran a 1:52 that day . ( no one was able to reach their PB this day due to track conditions so everyone ran slower times they they have in the last , tons of debree and traffic . I ran a higher 2:04 in the last session of the day . Given the right conditions I know my car is good for a 2 minute lap time here ( now we just gotta get the driver up to speed :) and with aero I can begin scratching those 1:58s or better . Can’t wait to get back out there .

·
Registered
248 Posts
Some pics from this past track event . A lot more to come this year . Great meeting you @sdlynx 🙌 we must do it again & hope many other 124s meet us out !!!
DEFINITELY have to do this again. Spoolin has a fantastic setup. Honestly, those Sparcos in the car really increase the amount of confidence you get in the car. My times were not down as far as his, with my best at about 2:10. I can tell I was letting off when I felt a bit of sliding in the stock seats.

Spoolin is right about the debris and traffic. Here's just one lap with a McLaren and BMW GTS on my tail. McLaren passes and goes off-track. At the end of the lap, a more careless S2k does the same thing. BMW smartly waited for a straight where his power can easily overtake.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The car is feeling fantastic with more driver improvement potential on my end to push it to its limit .

Really didn’t take much to get it there either
Phase 2 EC tune, intercooler & intake ( phase 1 also felt plenty fast and until you master the handling characteristics of this car more power won’t help you much out on the track . But phase 1 even made for a super competitive car and I was passing track spec M3s, porches , AMGs on the smaller tighter streets of willow . Pretty **** impresssive and similar results out on buttonwillow

KW clubsport coil overs 570 front 400 rear spring rates come standard which is perfect in my opinion & federal tires to make this car a rocket at the local track. Seats are nice and deffinitely keep you planted during transitions ( I got them because I needed to drop 3” lower to clear my roll bar) running my classica at auto club I wasn’t bothered Too much by the factory seats but again being held in place is always nice 🙌

No other suspension mod feels needed with the clubsport coil over .Abarth Oem sway bars seem to sufficient as coils are doing their job and keeping the car well balanced and turning In as needed . Not experiencing any understeer with the heavier front end nor oversteer ( once tires warm up 🙂 ) if you have the classica I wound jump on the progress sway bars .

I did upgrade to Custco strut bar to have better accessibility to the dampening and love it

If I had to start over and pick 3 things to start with :

ECPhase 1 tune or 2 if you can swing the IC & Intake
Coil overs
Tires ( 235 -255 range ) wider the better 🙂

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Front Chassis mounted splitter

Finally the time has arrived to add black magic 😬. Had a custom front splitter drawn up today and it’s getting carved up and installed this week. Super excited & if anyone is interested it’s only 300 bucks 😍
This guy has built voltex splitters for most of the s2000 out there running them and now has the blue prints for the 124 👍
Oh and it will be cut at the first line away from the bumper not the far out one . About 3.75 to 4” in the deepest areas . Can’t wait

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Finally the time has arrived to add black magic 😬. Had a custom front splitter drawn up today and it’s getting carved up and installed this week. Super excited & if anyone is interested it’s only 300 bucks 😍
This guy has built voltex splitters for most of the s2000 out there running them and now has the blue prints for the 124 👍
Oh and it will be cut at the first line away from the bumper not the far out one . About 3.75 to 4” in the deepest areas . Can’t wait
Definitely interested! I've been looking for a front splitter for the Abarth and all the vendors are coming up empty.

Although honestly, I'm at the point where I need more downforce in the rear than in the front. But I don't want to throw on a gigantic spoiler.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You're my hero Spoolin32. :D

As soon as I get my roll bar installed (next month) I will try to join you on a more frequent basis. I'd like to start getting out at least once a month or every other month. I don't expect to be as quick and my car won't be at the same level, but hopefully I can shave a few seconds off my times just by standing next to you. :laugh:

Of course until I get the bar I can always just take the Volvo. This heat has kept my away in general though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Definitely interested! I've been looking for a front splitter for the Abarth and all the vendors are coming up empty.

Although honestly, I'm at the point where I need more downforce in the rear than in the front. But I don't want to throw on a gigantic spoiler.

This will be a mild splitter to compliment a rear wing , once this is on the wing is next :). Will help quite a bit keep the front tires planted and Piointint where you need the to through those faster corners. Feel free to text or call him , his number is 626-893-1893 his Instagram page is o.ma_racing .

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
You're my hero Spoolin32. :D

As soon as I get my roll bar installed (next month) I will try to join you on a more frequent basis. I'd like to start getting out at least once a month or every other month. I don't expect to be as quick and my car won't be at the same level, but hopefully I can shave a few seconds off my times just by standing next to you. :laugh:

Of course until I get the bar I can always just take the Volvo. This heat has kept my away in general though.

Yesssss !!! We’ll get faster together 👍 . Can’t wait man. today was so hot , we were pushing it through 98 degree weather windows down ac off and still having fun . I though my car was going to melt . One positive is I had grip for days with the super hot tires :) . Cooler days are coming

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yesssss !!! We’ll get faster together 👍 . Can’t wait man. today was so hot , we were pushing it through 98 degree weather windows down ac off and still having fun . I though my car was going to melt . One positive is I had grip for days with the super hot tires :) . Cooler days are coming
I know what you mean. It was a little warm in Colorado today as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts

I'm working on both a splitter and a spoiler for ours, and I think the way to do the rear spoiler would be one permanently connected to the OE spoiler. That way, you buy a spare OE spoiler and just add and remove the race spoiler as you need to. No unsightly holes when it's off, unless you go crazy with support rods- but I'm not that far along in thinking mine through. My car is being built for auto-X, so I'll need something pretty big for it to be functional, but I'll want to be able to remove it for street use. I won't be seeing more than 75mph with our splitter and spoiler on, but I'll be testing both at highway speed. I actually have a splitter cut out of ABS plastic, but After I put it on, I realized I wouldn't be able to get our car on the trailer with it on :O so I shelved it until we were closer to getting a tune and making enough power to actually need it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm working on both a splitter and a spoiler for ours, and I think the way to do the rear spoiler would be one permanently connected to the OE spoiler. That way, you buy a spare OE spoiler and just add and remove the race spoiler as you need to. No unsightly holes when it's off, unless you go crazy with support rods- but I'm not that far along in thinking mine through. My car is being built for auto-X, so I'll need something pretty big for it to be functional, but I'll want to be able to remove it for street use. I won't be seeing more than 75mph with our splitter and spoiler on, but I'll be testing both at highway speed. I actually have a splitter cut out of ABS plastic, but After I put it on, I realized I wouldn't be able to get our car on the trailer with it on :O so I shelved it until we were closer to getting a tune and making enough power to actually need it.
I think you mentioned that your splitter wouldn't fit up with an Abarth bumper though?

The rear spoiler idea is good because I do want more DF in the rear, but I don't want a ricer looking wing when my wife drives the car around on the street. How would that work though? Is it a lot of work to swap out that assembly?

EDIT: I did some searching and I realized that you're talking about the spoiler assembly section.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think you mentioned that your splitter wouldn't fit up with an Abarth bumper though?

The rear spoiler idea is good because I do want more DF in the rear, but I don't want a ricer looking wing when my wife drives the car around on the street. How would that work though? Is it a lot of work to swap out that assembly?

EDIT: I did some searching and I realized that you're talking about the spoiler assembly section.
Correct. I've found that the rear spoiler comes as an OE part, like the rockers, already in body color. Unfortunately, it's stupid expensive, so it's going to have to wait. And I have the same issue as you - my wife uses the car as a fair weather DD (which is great, so I can keep track of how mods affect fuel economy) so I wouldn't want her driving around with a giant spoiler on the back or a big splitter on the front (to feed to parking lot obstructions). As to the front, I don't know. I'd need to see an Abarth up close. I know the ND underside has curves that don't match the 124, so if someone makes a front splitter for the MX-5, it likely WON'T fit flush along either 124 fascia. But one to the other, I don't know. The lamp positions seem the same (even though it looks really different) and the undercarriage parts look to be the same part numbers... so maybe? Hopefully? I guess whomever has the best solution wins, because if there's something good and affordable out there, I'd rather jump on that than have to invent my own just for me.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

The trailer is what is on my mind the most, I have the Texas Bragg custom car hauler and it’s so low that I might just be ok but fingers crossed next week I’ll find out . Blackbird fabworks also has a similar rear spoiler with some additional support beams that may need drilling but I haven’t really researched them. He does claim they work extremely well . Maybe that can help you visualize it

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
This will be a mild splitter to compliment a rear wing , once this is on the wing is next :). Will help quite a bit keep the front tires planted and Piointint where you need the to through those faster corners. Feel free to text or call him , his number is 626-893-1893 his Instagram page is o.ma_racing .
Please post pictures of with the new splitter. How will it install? Is bumper removal required? Does it bolt up to factory points underneath? I hate drilling if I don't need to.

What about a clip-on wing mounted to the side edges of the trunk lid?

Similar to the way this luggage rack is mounted
https://autoricambi.us/products/luggage-rack-kit

Then position the wing pillars on top of the clips. Is that doable?
That's actually quite an interesting approach. I'm not sure if it will work in practice. I feel like the rear DF aspect is pretty futile without a large wing bolted. Perhaps this car is max-ed out for me after the front splitter.

41 - 60 of 364 Posts