Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the risk of sounding like a rookie here; I have had several performance oriented vehicles in the past. Both N/A and boosted and enjoyed each in there own way. However my 17' Abarth is the first one with a "Sport Mode" selector switch. And after seeing the single paragraph in the owners manual I have absolutely no idea what it actually does other than the obvious performance boost when engaged. I did ask the salesman when test driving and well...it went something like this:

Me: So what exactly does the Sport Mode do?

Salesman: "Man!...It totally changes the exhaust sound. Makes it sound like it has a WAY bigger engine. Its pretty cool huh?

Me: Right....so....where's the bathroom again???

Wondering if any of you guru's on here could elaborate on that a bit more???

·
Registered
68 Posts
So at the risk of sounding like a rookie here; I have had several performance oriented vehicles in the past. Both N/A and boosted and enjoyed each in there own way. However my 17' Abarth is the first one with a "Sport Mode" selector switch. And after seeing the single paragraph in the owners manual I have absolutely no idea what it actually does other than the obvious performance boost when engaged. I did ask the salesman when test driving and well...it went something like this:

Me: So what exactly does the Sport Mode do?

Salesman: "Man!...It totally changes the exhaust sound. Makes it sound like it has a WAY bigger engine. Its pretty cool huh?

Me: Right....so....where's the bathroom again???

Wondering if any of you guru's on here could elaborate on that a bit more???
I ask the salesman and he stated ,,, "It's a go fast switch! makes everything go race mode".... Went to another dealership!

·
Registered
719 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
could an additional function be wired to the sport mode switch....like a relay to open the valves on a ragazzon exchaust? Anyone know how this is wired?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Would you feel cheated if they called Sport Mode “Normal Mode” and Normal Mode “Eco Mode?” Because that’s really what it is lol
How true! I call it the "de-tune" button. With my Lusso, I always have full output without having to push any silly buttons that pretend to make the car more powerful. :)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
It is for having two different tunes 😉!

·
Registered
483 Posts
it's where the four more horses hide. when you put the car in sport mode it is like taking those horses which were asleep in the stable, and hitching them to your wagon. in sport mode you just have more horses pulling your wagon. at least when in sport mode, there is no necessity for additional clean up, grooming, but maybe a bit more feeding.....

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
How true! I call it the "de-tune" button. With my Lusso, I always have full output without having to push any silly buttons that pretend to make the car more powerful. :)

Not totally. If I remember correctly it also changes the tranny shift points and a couple of other things. The Lusso doesn't have that. The Abarth in the normal mode has the same HP as the Lusso, and are essentially identical. So the sport mode adds a little more than the 4 HP to the mix.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Missed post #4 by Rglass. It explains it perfectly

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Not totally. If I remember correctly it also changes the tranny shift points and a couple of other things. The Lusso doesn't have that. The Abarth in the normal mode has the same HP as the Lusso, and are essentially identical. So the sport mode adds a little more than the 4 HP to the mix.
Actually, if I recall correctly Greg and co at EC figured (based on dyno testing) that the non-Abarths use the the sport profile full-time. Haz has it right in saying the non-sport mode is really an Eco mode not available on the Classica and Lusso.

Your 4 extra horsepower are entirely down to the exhaust on the Abarth not having a resonator in the midpipe.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Actually, if I recall correctly Greg and co at EC figured (based on dyno testing) that the non-Abarths use the the sport profile full-time. Haz has it right in saying the non-sport mode is really an Eco mode not available on the Classica and Lusso.

Your 4 extra horsepower are entirely down to the exhaust on the Abarth not having a resonator in the midpipe.

Well there you go, I was not aware the Classica or Lusso had the sport profile at all.

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts

I respect the EC gang, but I find that very hard to believe, and it would make NO sense from a marketing perspective.

My non-scientific testing on test drives also suggests that it's not the case - mind you that was on ATs, and the sport button on my Abarth does make the car seem very different.

ALL the media reviews state four things change with Sports Mode
- Engine mapping
- Auto trans
- ESP sensitivity
- Steering weighting

The Abarth is equipped with a Sport button and when engaged the Abarth's throttle response is more aggressive, and the engine's 184lbs-ft of torque is now available at 2500 rpm, 700 rpm lower than when not in Sport mode and the other Spider models. Classica and Lusso models do not have a Sport button. By comparison, these other models make 169lbs-ft of torque at 2500 rpm, 15 lbs-ft less than the Abarth in Sport mode at the same rpm.

In Sport mode, automatic transmission shift calibrations are also changed, and gears are held longer, and shifts are made quicker. Steeringcalibration is also modified, and stability control settings have more oversteer dialed in for an even sportier handling feel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In terms of at least throttle response, I find the Sport Mode mapping to be different from that of the Classica and Lusso. The non-Sport Mode of the Abarth seemed similar to the Classica and Lusso. This says nothing about the power output (which is really what the dyno can test), but rather, only pertains to how responsive a motor is. The Classica and Lusso were really tough to heel toe at lower rpms because of how sluggish the motor response is down low. The Sport Mode alleviates that problem to a point.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
To me it just seems like throttle mapping and maybe some slight willingness to boost slightly earlier. If it changes steering or damping or ESP thresholds or overall outputs, then I damned if I can pick it. But it definitely affects the throttle mapping.

·
Registered
719 Posts
To me it just seems like throttle mapping and maybe some slight willingness to boost slightly earlier. If it changes steering or damping or ESP thresholds or overall outputs, then I damned if I can pick it. But it definitely affects the throttle mapping.
It affects steering for sure, best way to test it is to flick in and out of sport while taking a few turns. You can, or at least should, feel it...if it's working properly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sport mode effects the auto trans big time. Holds the gear much longer before shifting.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I guess EC or another tuner would be able to tell for sure whether the Abarth sport mode map is any different from Classica/Lusso maps since they can see all the parameters.

I guess it also depends on which market you're talking about. There's a 30 hp difference between Abarth and non-Abarth in Europe so I wouldn't be surprised if the lower trims in Europe are highly detuned. NA, not too sure, the 4 hp difference can easily be from the exhaust alone.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sport mode effects the auto trans big time. Holds the gear much longer before shifting.
Which one can easily do by using the AT in manual mode.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts