Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Good analogy!

it's where the four more horses hide. when you put the car in sport mode it is like taking those horses which were asleep in the stable, and hitching them to your wagon. in sport mode you just have more horses pulling your wagon. at least when in sport mode, there is no necessity for additional clean up, grooming, but maybe a bit more feeding.....
I have noticed though that until my car is fully warmed up, sport mode does not activate. This seems thoughtful, since I've never been one to gallop off on my horse at full speed right out of the barn.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have noticed though that until my car is fully warmed up, sport mode does not activate. This seems thoughtful, since I've never been one to gallop off on my horse at full speed right out of the barn.
best regards
Pete
Not true for me. Sometimes I forget to push the Sport button when I start, but as soon as I start driving and notice the lack of oomph, I press the Sport button, and it immediately kicks in, very noticeably. Well before the blue thermostat light goes off.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Totally off-topic but interesting fact: a horse can actually make more than 1 hp. The peak power of a horse is about 14.9 hp. Having 164 hp is like being pulled by 11 horses in full gallop. Not as glorious of a thought as being pulled by 164 horses but still, in the olden days if you owned 11 horses, you’re pretty much nobility :laugh:

·
Registered
210 Posts
A horse might have a peak horsepower of 14.9 hp, but it would get tired really fast. :)
If you used a horse to turn a mill wheel, 1 hp is about what you can expect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The non-Sport Mode of the Abarth seemed similar to the Classica and Lusso. This says nothing about the power output (which is really what the dyno can test), but rather, only pertains to how responsive a motor is.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was under the impression that the 4 extra ponies lived in the lower restriction exhaust on the Abarth (no resonator on mid pipe). I’d like the other features from the Abarth sport button though...oh well, maybe a pedal mod and some suspension tweaks along with aftermarket exhaust may have the same end result. (Why did they give our cars an exhaust that sounds like a Prius anyway?😏)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
you are correct about the extra ponies

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Since changing my axleback exhaust, I seem to get less lag in 1st thus stalling now is non existing. Plus I have a symphony on the exhaust which helps the ear and foot to synchronize.:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Considering that the so-called sport mode is essentially a toggle switch between tune files, I'd be interested in adding it to my Classica if possible. It would be handy for, say, switching fuels, or having a "learner" mode (my old Jet Ski had two different keys to perform a function like that).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does the sport mode really have a different tune or does it advance the timing on the accelerator to reduce initial lag, like Go Pedal?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Does the sport mode really have a different tune or does it advance the timing on the accelerator to reduce initial lag, like Go Pedal?
go pedal is just the throttle response, nothing to do with timing...

Sport mode means boost comes on a little earlier so more torque and power available earlier this makes the car faster. Also increase throttle input and steering

But ultimately does NOT give more HP at higher RPM

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the German spec Abart 124 Spider from 2017 with the Record Monza exhaust off factory. I have read that with the sport mode there is also an valve in the exhaust that opens up, but mine is always loud. Also in normal mode. I also heard that these valves always fail after a while. So does the sport mode open up a valve in the exhaust and is normal mode normally more quiet? Please let me know, otherwise I will have it checked.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
How about this. The car runs a lot better with it on

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I belive this valve is mechanically operated through pressure loading, the mechanism can get stuck and requires cleaning ? I don't think it's electrically controlled via the Sport Mode button. I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm.
That's spot on correct. The valve opens and closes based on changes in pressure. There are no electronics involved with the operation of the Record Monza. Although mentioned elsewhere in many threads and just to ensure it doesn't get missed, if you have a Record Monza, get under there and apply some anti-seize compound to the spring/flap assembly of the exhaust. That will go a long way towards it not ending up stuck in either an open or closed position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's spot on correct. The valve opens and closes based on changes in pressure. There are no electronics involved with the operation of the Record Monza. Although mentioned elsewhere in many threads and just to ensure it doesn't get missed, if you have a Record Monza, get under there and apply some anti-seize compound to the spring/flap assembly of the exhaust. That will go a long way towards it not ending up stuck in either an open or closed position.
Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I got underneath the car and it was stuck. I applied some WD40 and waited for 20 minuten.
Then I got a pipe wrench on the big round nut and try to move it. After a while it started to move. I cleaned it and applied some ball bearing grease and moved it with the pipe wrench again till i came very loose and flipped back from every position. I applied some extra ball bearing grease and left it there. After a smal ride I checked it again and it is all loose now.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Glad to hear you got it loosened up and moving. I'll be honest and say I don't know how well bearing grease will or will not hold up with the temperatures it will get exposed to, so when you have a chance, I recommend going to an automotive shop and ask specifically for anti-seize compound. It's manufactured for high temperature applications. A word of caution though... a wee bit of that stuff goes a long way, and it gets on everything, so take care (and use latex gloves) when you apply it. Happy motoring...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
a wee bit of that stuff goes a long way, and it gets on everything, so take care (and use latex gloves) when you apply it. Happy motoring..

I can vouch for this statement, lol.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts