Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I taught my 20 yr old son how to drive a stick yesterday. Fortunately, we live near a state park (Harriman, NY) which has very little traffic and FUN long winding roads. It was the perfect place to teach him and the Abarth made it easy on him.

So much so, that he took a friend for a spin a few hours later. I'm away this week and he's home from college so I'm sure he's going to have some more fun.

I think I created a monster ?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Young and impressionable, you've "scarred" him for life. Maybe his pal, too. For shame, for shame. The SUV industry will never forgive you.

Steve.

·
Registered
789 Posts
lol

I took great pleasure in teaching him something new again cuz, you know, at 20 he thinks he knows everything
When my 19 year old daughter comes home from school this summer plan to let her re-enforce her manual driving technique. At some point she hopes to be able to race with me in a Lemons or Chump Car Race.

Those roads by Harriman are nice... I used to drive them often. Right on the NJ/NYS boarder here, so not far. Challage is some of the massive potholes on the PIP heading up to that area.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, PIP is fine. Plus, 7 Lakes Drive & Arden Valley in Harriman have been repaved, so well worth the ride.

I was (still am kinda) a cyclist and Harriman was my training ground. No better place to be on the road. On two or four wheels!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ah, small world. Took my (17 yo) son up there for him to drive around as well. We are super close to Harriman, just a short ride up Rt 17. Great day for driving and my first top down excursion. Hoping to venture up there again tomorrow too.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I hope you've created a monster. The more millenials that demand the availability of manual transmissions, the longer they'll stick around (poor pun sorry).

·
Administrator
2,029 Posts
Ha!
And perhaps the best thing about teaching them to drive a stick is it guarantees they aren't texting while driving!
Exactly why I'm going to insist my sons' first cars will have manual transmissions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts