Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I noticed when I am backing out of my garage my breaks squeak rather loudly. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just the lucky one?
Mine do that also.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Mine don't do that because I don't back out of the garage. I back into it. Seriously, I don't remember hearing any brake squeaking. It could be from the parking brake as it disengages.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Mine squeak.

·
Registered
476 Posts
if it only does it when you back up out of garage first time in the day but seems ok the rest of the day if you back out of a parking spot or something, then i would say it is likely just a film of rust from sitting overnight and not to give it much more thought. seen many cars that do that.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't have squealy brakes, either. Did leave the hand brake on for a week or so and it stuck, slightly, but nothing dramatic.

How hard have you leaned (leant?) on the brakes? I don't think it is a concern, but then I don't know what the mechanism is from an engineering stand point that causes brakes to squeal or not.

I've had cars with squeaky brakes in the past. It is annoying as ****, even though they work fine and are not the 'squeal' from the deliberate bit of metal that tells you your brakes are low. Usually, brake grease on the pistons has solved it (obviously, shouldn't have to on a new car).

·
Registered
727 Posts
Some high speed hard braking can sometimes clear things up a bit. Just make sure there's no one behind you, like a Lincoln Navigator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is pretty common with the material FCA uses in their brake pads. If it goes away after a stop or two then it is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This is pretty common with the material FCA uses in their brake pads. If it goes away after a stop or two then it is normal and nothing to be concerned about.
Disc brakes have been known to squeak every once in a while....think back to the seventies when a lot of cars had squeaky brakes (not breaks!!!)...as long as you have plenty of pad thickness left...don't worry as long as it stops....a little hard braking once in a while will help sort things out....

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Mine only squeak when backing up and the brakes are cold. Now the Brembos in my Charger squeak all the time, drives my wife crazy LOL.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i had a neon that was the worst ever for brake squeak, they actually had concerns with brakes wearing fast and had a modified pad that could be used for longer life but in the bulletin they flat out said they they will be noisy. even my other half's 16 mercedes has a slight squeak with a cold backing out of garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Haven't started to squeak yet (4,000kms) but I've had Brembos before and the ones on my Megane RS were proper squeakers! Sometimes embarrassingly so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the exact same problem. They squeak while backing out of the garage. I've noticed it's usually only when I back out first time of the day. Later in the day, if I'm backing out of a parking spot, they don't squeak. I'm assuming this is happening when the brakes are cold at the beginning of the day.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts