Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Own a 2018 Fiat 124 with a standard shift. Was surprised to find out that when I did a national search (Edmunds, Carvana, Autoguru) for Fiat 124's... there were very few Fiats with standard shifts available for sale... plenty of automatics. My thinking is perhaps the manual shifts are more popular thus the scarcity. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
RED and manual shift are the standards to the 124, but there's always the exception.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
219 Posts
"Standard shift". Remember when that term was because that was the transmission that came as standard equipment? Hmmm you're showing your age. LoL

Reactions: FLAbarth

·
Registered
949 Posts
"Standard shift". Remember when that term was because that was the transmission that came as standard equipment? Hmmm you're showing your age. LoL
“Fill ‘er up with Ethyl.”

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Took me a while to work out what standard shift meant! Not a term I've heard over here !

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Here's the story for the young generation....Uk has always had "Manual" transmission as the majority, automatics were for disabled people and the few that found changing gear too much information for their brain, so they took the driving test in an automatic car, which meant that they could NEVER drive a manual geared vehicle on a full licence, so limited. As in North America and everywhere else I think we used to have "Column" change (which I liked) so you had a stalk next to your steering wheel and declutch on the pedal whilst shifting the column, all good fun.
For most folk today....I would say that "The Majority" of "Sports car" fans want a manual transmission as it is all part of the Sports car heritage. Autos, as I said, for folk with disabilities and for people who are just not comfortable with a manual gearbox, preferring their autos..... Cheers
ron

Reactions: NellyNel 1TWO4

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Its wierd though that modern autos are now so much faster than a manual! Not the 124 obviously but modern twin clutch, PDK, DSG are lighting quick. A mates Golf GTI changes gear in about 20% the time of a fast manual shift....madness

Still prefer a manual, but from a pure performance stand point they'll be phased out soon I think.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I think you are correct......PDK & DSG particularly had early problems / failures but have since crept into the manufacturing process steadily and now manuals with DSG gearbox specified have become the norm....but, like column change, older folk mourned it's passing whereas the younger generation, as I was then, who only started driving (legally) in 1968 as a 17 year old found the floor gear change easy and the column change vague until I got used to it.
Fully automatic, single gear? "Electric" cars are now the near future,in fact...just been looking at the new Honda E....
I did a configuration for one in Black and was impressed...until I watched the youtube motoring press videos that is....
Aircraft style dash layout that stretches the length of the dashboard, looks good but weak graphics, wing mirrors that are actually cameras built into door , one gear box button thing ?...but bilsteins and handles apparently....that's the future. already here today....it looks like a mini VW Golf GTI to me, has very little space and costs about £30000.00 !!
And..130 miles MAX on a charge ! Batteries that last a few years and cost a fortune.....
Continue to enjoy our ownership of the 124 Spider I say because the future motoring "will be" very different indeed.
Cheers
ron

·
Registered
784 Posts
To our Brit friends, stick shift you now know about. Column shift in the US was "three on the tree". Ethyl was premium, ie highest octane gas. Other terms for a manual trans.include straight drive (mainly in the South), standard trans, four on the floor. BTW, cheaper gas was Methyl. I remember when premium gas was around 30cents, filling my MG Midget cost all of $1.80! We used to have full service gas stations...they would check the oil, clean the windows, air up your tires while filling the tank. There was a song a long time ago with the refrain:"Check the oil, clean the windows, dollar gas"! Cheers. Two nations separated by a common language.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I grew up with the term “5 speed” used for manuals, regardless of the actual number of gears it had. During those days , autos were 4 or less gears so I guess it did differentiate

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,820 Posts
To our Brit friends, stick shift you now know about. Column shift in the US was "three on the tree". Ethyl was premium, ie highest octane gas. Other terms for a manual trans.include straight drive (mainly in the South), standard trans, four on the floor. BTW, cheaper gas was Methyl. I remember when premium gas was around 30cents, filling my MG Midget cost all of $1.80! We used to have full service gas stations...they would check the oil, clean the windows, air up your tires while filling the tank. There was a song a long time ago with the refrain:"Check the oil, clean the windows, dollar gas"! Cheers. Two nations separated by a common language.
I grew up working at Bell's Shell Full Service Station owned by my Grandfather and his older brother, they opened it after they returned from WWII. Two islands with 5 pumps and three bays (2 w/ lifts). I started at 12 pumping gas, washing windows, checking fluids, etc for arcade money and by 14 I had rebuilt my first V-8 solo. I got to drive a little of everything over the years, the old 56 Chevy C/10 work truck was a 3 on the Tree and what I cut my teeth on as far as manuals, that thing bucked hard when you got stuck in the clutch dump loop! I REALLY wanted to be a mechanic first and foremost until I found I was also good at electronics theory and troubleshooting, so I blended the two and have made a career of being a "fixer/fabricator" on everything from copiers and lighting ballasts, to telecom, to multi million $$ semiconductor process machines and Anti Aircraft Missile Systems.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I grew up working at Bell's Shell Full Service Station owned by my Grandfather and his older brother, they opened it after they returned from WWII. Two islands with 5 pumps and three bays (2 w/ lifts). I started at 12 pumping gas, washing windows, checking fluids, etc for arcade money and by 14 I had rebuilt my first V-8 solo. I got to drive a little of everything over the years, the old 56 Chevy C/10 work truck was a 3 on the Tree and what I cut my teeth on as far as manuals, that thing bucked hard when you got stuck in the clutch dump loop! I REALLY wanted to be a mechanic first and foremost until I found I was also good at electronics theory and troubleshooting, so I blended the two and have made a career of being a "fixer/fabricator" on everything from copiers and lighting ballasts, to telecom, to multi million $$ semiconductor process machines and Anti Aircraft Missile Systems.
Fascinating story..picturing the garage in my mind, old West, straw hats, chequered shirts and strapped overalls, front with pumps onto the main street with bays straight back, oil drums, wrecks and repairs in waiting for parts to the side.....Don't suppose you have any photo's of the boys and "Bell's Shell Full Service Station", do you ? Cheers
ron

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I bought my US model '18 Abarth 124 (used with 12,000 miles) there were mostly automatics available. I was leaning towards an auto for several reasons. I wanted my wife to drive and enjoy it and I had read that other Italian cars, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and the US made 2020 Corvette were only available in automatics. Of course they're a different breed of transmission than the 124's.

The automatic is a $1450 option in the US. I may be mistaken but the 6 speed manual seems to be more rare. There may have been more 124s made with auto transmissions. I'm enjoying my auto but I also know I would really enjoy the manual. I'm not buying a manual 124 to go with my auto so I can enjoy both. I'll live somewhat contently with my auto.

But like Boddle88 said...
"Still prefer a manual, but from a pure performance stand point they'll be phased out soon I think." I too believe this may happen.

Final thought and prediction. The 6 speed manual will be the more desirable transmission and will sell at a premium over the auto once our cars start to become harder to find because of no more being produced.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don’t think they’re scarce because of popularity. Mine sat on a dealer lot for 14 months (during which time they sold several automatics). I got a great deal on mine-per the dealer “Nobody wants a stick”. When I’d bought it the salesman told me “you’ve got the best anti theft system in the world in that car, that third pedal. None of the younger crowd has any idea how to drive one”.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don’t think they’re scarce because of popularity. Mine sat on a dealer lot for 14 months (during which time they sold several automatics). I got a great deal on mine-per the dealer “Nobody wants a stick”. When I’d bought it the salesman told me “you’ve got the best anti theft system in the world in that car, that third pedal. None of the younger crowd has any idea how to drive one”.
Any signs of “ lot rot” from all that sitting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Own a 2018 Fiat 124 with a standard shift. Was surprised to find out that when I did a national search (Edmunds, Carvana, Autoguru) for Fiat 124's... there were very few Fiats with standard shifts available for sale... plenty of automatics. My thinking is perhaps the manual shifts are more popular thus the scarcity. What do you think?
When I decided to look for mine I had the same problem! Why make a sports car with an automatic?! I live east of CLE OH and had to go to that state up north to pick up my 2017 Classico! (OH...IO) It was from a dealer and we worked out the deal while I drove the 2 hrs to get my Spider and I am very happy with it. I've even did a couple auto-cross runs last year. I use to auto-cross a 1996 Miata a lot, but I'll only run this a few times a year for now anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts