Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR - I'm a simple unfrozen caveman, your modern new car dealer negotiations frighten and confuse me... grrrr! Got any tips on how to negotiate the best deal from a dealer?

Three years ago, when I married the wife, she drove a vehicle that shall remain nameless, but its initials were "P.T. Cruiser". Yeah, I definitely didn't marry her for her taste in motorcars. Shortly after we married, the bitshox... sorry, dyslexia... bit the shed.

Now, the wife isn't real good with money, budgets, etc... and had already asked me if I'd be the money manager. I agreed, as long as she agreed to a couple things. As long as I made sure that all the bills were paid on time, and we didn't carry any significant credit card debt, she'd never question a car purchase I made, and she'd use every single possible grocery coupon she could clip, or coupon app she could download, or whatever grocer flyer deal she could find. That woman can look at the Sunday inserts and plan a week's meals before a flea's fart fades.

Since then, I've kept my end of the agreement, and she has been completely untested in keeping her side of the agreement re: commenting on my car purchases. I had the Manx before we got married, and she quickly learned that the Manx is a "DeBeers Car", it's FOREVER.

After the PT Loser died she needed a new car. I asked her what she wanted, and she said, and I'm quoting; "Something good, that has a radio and I can put bags of soil in the back." Now, I have a pathological hatred for the Stupid Useless Vehicle, and the Pickup Truck, the world's favorite Beer Guided Missile. I asked her, "How many bags of soil are we talking, and are we talking the 25 pound bags, or like 50's?" She says "Like 2... and the small ones."

I found her an immaculate 2011 Mini Cooper. She adores it. We made a deal for the car, she signed a 5 year note. I told her that we'd pay it off halfway through, because by that time I'd need a new car. At the time I was driving a 1997 Lamborghini Portofino, a car that was sold in the US as the Dodge Intrepid (I'm not kidding, look it up, the Intrepid started as a Lamborghini concept car called the Portofino). She didn't believe me that we could pay the car off that fast.

30 months later, halfway through a 60 month loan, and we're paying off the Mini this month. When she found out that I had saved up not only the cash to pay off the Mini, but the down payment for my car, she shearly nit. Sorry, damn dyslexia.

Once the Mini is paid off, we're going to wait a few weeks, for her credit rating to get the payoff bump, so we can use her awesome credit, which after the bump should just cross over into that magical 800 territory where lenders drool and pretend money falls from their rectums.

Once the bump does that bumpy bumping, we'll jump on a 124 Spider.

I didn't know I was buying a 124 Spider until about 8 months ago. I started lurking here about that time. I had been looking at the MX5, and I really found myself a bit unhappy with that choice. The car is as pretty as a gangrenous headwound, the face only Helen Keller could eoouuuugggghhh. I knew I wanted a small, light sports car, rear wheel drive. I also wanted to buy brand new, and I wanted to stay under $30K. The choices get thin down here, real fast. Especially when you look at the Subarota GTFRZ-86 and see all those engine failures, flatbilled hats and Puma kicks.

Then, a good friend of mine that flogs a collection of dis-articulated parts, flying in close formation, disguised as a Gen1 Miata, pointed out to me that Fiat "made" a car called the 124 Spider, that was actually an ND Miata cosplaying as an updated Italian roadster from the middle of the last century. I cast my mind back and recalled a neighbor that had one, rusting into his back yard. An "Italian" sportscar, that's actually a Miata, the most raced car in history? And it looks like this? YES PLEASE.

I want an Abarth, mostly for the LSD. The type of driving I do is a bit specific. I live in the foothills of the Appalachians, very close to The Dragon, in fact, about as close to The Dragon as a person can live without having wheels on their house, and banjo skills. When the Manx is running, I drive The Dragon 3 or 4 times a week, and I have secret roads (No, don't ask.) that are so untraveled, and go so deep down the hollows, that they've got moss growing a foot onto the asphault on either shoulder. I've seen enough open diff weenies up the gap to know I need the LSD. A 270° hairpin taken with any kind of spirit will unweight the inside tire to the point of smoke.

But, as always with me, I have a budget, and I'm not sure I can bully a dealer into selling me an Abarth within said budget, I'll definitely try. A spankin' Abarth for $20K flat would be a major coup, methinks.

I believe it's far more likely I'll end up in a Classica, for something between $16K and $18K, if my estimation of the current market is correct. At that price, I can afford to throw the OSGiken LSD in the rear end and go dance with The Dragon.

My plan of attack first is to dangle the prospect of an eager buyer, with a cash down payment and Uh-Mazing credit in front of them, and then kick them in the JuJuBees with a lowball offer, see if a large dealer with a large inventory of '19s wants to play ball.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try to see if I can get a dealer close to me to match the advertised price of a dealer not so close to me.

Thing is, I've never actually negotiated a new car deal before. I've only ever made used car deals, and I've only bought from a dealer once.

Anyone got any advice on negotiating tactics? Tips, things they've done to get deals?

I know I'll get into a car, I'd just like to maximize my buying power, by any means necessary.

Thanks guys, I cannot wait to be spiding a driver... damn dyslexia...

·
Registered
45 Posts
A spankin' Abarth for $20K flat would be a major coup, methinks.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. You can probably get a new Abarth around $25k-$27k. I got mine at $24k + tax. Used title, but actually brand new with only 60 mi on the clock.

I got lucky this time, but the most I ever got off a new car was 17%, but never less than 10% off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TL;DR - I'm a simple unfrozen caveman, your modern new car dealer negotiations frighten and confuse me... grrrr! Got any tips on how to negotiate the best deal from a dealer?

Three years ago, when I married the wife, she drove a vehicle that shall remain nameless, but its initials were "P.T. Cruiser". Yeah, I definitely didn't marry her for her taste in motorcars. Shortly after we married, the bitshox... sorry, dyslexia... bit the shed.

Now, the wife isn't real good with money, budgets, etc... and had already asked me if I'd be the money manager. I agreed, as long as she agreed to a couple things. As long as I made sure that all the bills were paid on time, and we didn't carry any significant credit card debt, she'd never question a car purchase I made, and she'd use every single possible grocery coupon she could clip, or coupon app she could download, or whatever grocer flyer deal she could find. That woman can look at the Sunday inserts and plan a week's meals before a flea's fart fades.

Since then, I've kept my end of the agreement, and she has been completely untested in keeping her side of the agreement re: commenting on my car purchases. I had the Manx before we got married, and she quickly learned that the Manx is a "DeBeers Car", it's FOREVER.

After the PT Loser died she needed a new car. I asked her what she wanted, and she said, and I'm quoting; "Something good, that has a radio and I can put bags of soil in the back." Now, I have a pathological hatred for the Stupid Useless Vehicle, and the Pickup Truck, the world's favorite Beer Guided Missile. I asked her, "How many bags of soil are we talking, and are we talking the 25 pound bags, or like 50's?" She says "Like 2... and the small ones."

I found her an immaculate 2011 Mini Cooper. She adores it. We made a deal for the car, she signed a 5 year note. I told her that we'd pay it off halfway through, because by that time I'd need a new car. At the time I was driving a 1997 Lamborghini Portofino, a car that was sold in the US as the Dodge Intrepid (I'm not kidding, look it up, the Intrepid started as a Lamborghini concept car called the Portofino). She didn't believe me that we could pay the car off that fast.

30 months later, halfway through a 60 month loan, and we're paying off the Mini this month. When she found out that I had saved up not only the cash to pay off the Mini, but the down payment for my car, she shearly nit. Sorry, damn dyslexia.

Once the Mini is paid off, we're going to wait a few weeks, for her credit rating to get the payoff bump, so we can use her awesome credit, which after the bump should just cross over into that magical 800 territory where lenders drool and pretend money falls from their rectums.

Once the bump does that bumpy bumping, we'll jump on a 124 Spider.

I didn't know I was buying a 124 Spider until about 8 months ago. I started lurking here about that time. I had been looking at the MX5, and I really found myself a bit unhappy with that choice. The car is as pretty as a gangrenous headwound, the face only Helen Keller could eoouuuugggghhh. I knew I wanted a small, light sports car, rear wheel drive. I also wanted to buy brand new, and I wanted to stay under $30K. The choices get thin down here, real fast. Especially when you look at the Subarota GTFRZ-86 and see all those engine failures, flatbilled hats and Puma kicks.

Then, a good friend of mine that flogs a collection of dis-articulated parts, flying in close formation, disguised as a Gen1 Miata, pointed out to me that Fiat "made" a car called the 124 Spider, that was actually an ND Miata cosplaying as an updated Italian roadster from the middle of the last century. I cast my mind back and recalled a neighbor that had one, rusting into his back yard. An "Italian" sportscar, that's actually a Miata, the most raced car in history? And it looks like this? YES PLEASE.

I want an Abarth, mostly for the LSD. The type of driving I do is a bit specific. I live in the foothills of the Appalachians, very close to The Dragon, in fact, about as close to The Dragon as a person can live without having wheels on their house, and banjo skills. When the Manx is running, I drive The Dragon 3 or 4 times a week, and I have secret roads (No, don't ask.) that are so untraveled, and go so deep down the hollows, that they've got moss growing a foot onto the asphault on either shoulder. I've seen enough open diff weenies up the gap to know I need the LSD. A 270° hairpin taken with any kind of spirit will unweight the inside tire to the point of smoke.

But, as always with me, I have a budget, and I'm not sure I can bully a dealer into selling me an Abarth within said budget, I'll definitely try. A spankin' Abarth for $20K flat would be a major coup, methinks.

I believe it's far more likely I'll end up in a Classica, for something between $16K and $18K, if my estimation of the current market is correct. At that price, I can afford to throw the OSGiken LSD in the rear end and go dance with The Dragon.

My plan of attack first is to dangle the prospect of an eager buyer, with a cash down payment and Uh-Mazing credit in front of them, and then kick them in the JuJuBees with a lowball offer, see if a large dealer with a large inventory of '19s wants to play ball.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try to see if I can get a dealer close to me to match the advertised price of a dealer not so close to me.

Thing is, I've never actually negotiated a new car deal before. I've only ever made used car deals, and I've only bought from a dealer once.

Anyone got any advice on negotiating tactics? Tips, things they've done to get deals?

I know I'll get into a car, I'd just like to maximize my buying power, by any means necessary.

Thanks guys, I cannot wait to be spiding a driver... damn dyslexia...
Most eloquent!
A short search on google will find you an awesome 2017-2018 Abarth for about $28-$30k.
That being said, you can easily find “new” old stock 17 and 18 Abarths for $23-$24k!
I just bought a new, fully loaded Brembo, Bose, Recaro, Adaptiv headlight Abarth for $23,500.
Incredible car, fun to drive. If you want to tune it and pimp it out, go for it! If you want to drive the crap out of it stock, go for it!
Best bargain in a true sports car available today, IMHO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds to me like you already got the hang of it. The "eager rube" with cash shtick might be Oscar worthy and I encourage you to video the experience for our edification.

·
Registered
254 Posts
All of the above..........I am UK based so it could be a different scenario and I know you read my, "Brexit Mods" thread so you know what my route has been to producing "MY" 124 Spider. Cash is king, Bank loans here almost always outdo a Garage loan in APR (annual percentage rate) Garages use Fixed Rates that may say 6% which looks okay to some but actually means 12%, they may offer 0% deals but don't want to knock any cash off, so...Bearing in mind that an ex demo 124 Abarth has been got for $23500, set your target, get a list of deals from different dealers and contact them all telling them that you have been researching the market place, have best prices to hand so what can they do for you ? Your choice of LSD is perfect should you go there but it will most likely need special long reach tool to ease out and remove should you go Classica/Lusso however....if I was living in the USA knowing that an "Abarth" is so cheap and desirable then I would have most likely "Grabbed one", whereas, here they were silly money, the 124 GT stupid money as it did not warrant that price.
Your dealer wants to trade and shift stock, YOU must remain in charge...not too keen and be prepared to walk away....there are always other Spiders...For Now anyway. Best of Luck, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I don’t see why people spend so much effort over this - when you don’t like the scummy car buying haggle. What’s the car worth to you? If you see a price you like, go and buy it. If not, don’t. People say ‘I saved x grand!’ No, you didn’t. You spent ten times x grand.

if you want to do it, get the cash from a bank up front, tell a dealer that’s what you got to spend, cash, and walk away if they don’t deal. It sounds like you actually don’t care weather it’s a 124 or some other sports car: price is more important. That May not be actually true, but you have to come to terms with the truth - you are going to be spending unnecessary money on an unnecessary vehicle.

bottom line, if you want to negotiate the ‘best deal, keep all your emotions out of it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't have much to offer but that was a very funny read.

A new Abarth at $20,000 is a stretch. I would expect them hovering at the line for $30,000.

Very gently used is doable though.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I don’t see why people spend so much effort over this - when you don’t like the scummy car buying haggle. What’s the car worth to you? If you see a price you like, go and buy it. If not, don’t. People say ‘I saved x grand!’ No, you didn’t. You spent ten times x grand.

if you want to do it, get the cash from a bank up front, tell a dealer that’s what you got to spend, cash, and walk away if they don’t deal. It sounds like you actually don’t care weather it’s a 124 or some other sports car: price is more important. That May not be actually true, but you have to come to terms with the truth - you are going to be spending unnecessary money on an unnecessary vehicle.

bottom line, if you want to negotiate the ‘best deal, keep all your emotions out of it.
This echoes what I was thinking. I also will say that if you want $17k-$18k, consider used.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Most eloquent!
A short search on google will find you an awesome 2017-2018 Abarth for about $28-$30k.
That being said, you can easily find “new” old stock 17 and 18 Abarths for $23-$24k!
I just bought a new, fully loaded Brembo, Bose, Recaro, Adaptiv headlight Abarth for $23,500.
Incredible car, fun to drive. If you want to tune it and pimp it out, go for it! If you want to drive the crap out of it stock, go for it!
So new Abarths available for less than 2017-18 and about the same as old stock?
Sounds as if you negotiated yourself a heck of a deal.
Decide how much you want to pay. Tell the dealer. Leave your phone number. Go to the next seller. Repeat above as many times as you can. Go home. Wait three days...... the offers will come flooding in. No haggling !!!!
Agreed, though the number of sellers varies by location.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Most eloquent!
2017 for that price?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The badge isn't important, and yeah, the cost is important, but not most important. Most important is that sweet spot in the Venn Diagram where cost, reliability and driving experience converge. In this marketplace, they converge for me on exactly 2 cars, the MX5 and the 124. The looks only come into it when comparing those two, and the 124 wins.

I grew up dirtfloor poor. Until I was free of my folks, I didn't think I'd ever have a cent. That instilled in me a slavish devotion to a household budget, saving money and trying to spend as little as possible, while at the same time trying to live life to the fullest. That is why I'm putting "so much effort" into this.

Trust me, when it comes time to grease another man's palm with my hard earned, there's only the deal, and how much of my money can I keep and still get everything I want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
$20,664 for a brand new 2018 Abarth with MSRP of $34,900 and OTD was $22k even. After salesperson came back with first offer I wrote $22k even OTD and buy today on the sales paper. They came back and forth a few times til I told them that’s my deal and they eventually took it. It probably helped with dealer having three 2019 Abarth on the lot also and we all know it takes a certain type of buyer to buy one. Had couple deals going on for 2019 Abarths but they were couple states away, cost a lil more and the dealer I bought mine from was only 30 minutes away. I

I’m happy with the deal I got and really lovin this car!!

There are deals out there, just gotta find them. I always look at KBB trade in value when buying a new car and shoot for that number when buying and most of the time that is the price I pay.

Happy Shopping!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great read!

All I can say is...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here are some other deals I got on New 2019 Abarth’s

MSRP $31,755 for $21,378. Dealer was 4 hours away.

MSRP $31,900 fo $21,182. Dealer was 9 hours away. I liked this deal but they where 9 hours away and Abarth was red. Don’t want a red car.

You should be able to at least get $10-11k off on 2019 and more on 2018 new Abarth. If not, I will do the haggling for ya for a small fee LoL!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Don Johnson Auto Group. Loaded Abarth. 27 out the door would get it.
Respectfully, that doesn't seem such a good deal compared with what has been posted here.
Here are some other deals I got on New 2019 Abarth’s

MSRP $31,755 for $21,378. Dealer was 4 hours away.

MSRP $31,900 fo $21,182. Dealer was 9 hours away. I liked this deal but they where 9 hours away and Abarth was red. Don’t want a red car.

You should be able to at least get $10-11k off on 2019 and more on 2018 new Abarth. If not, I will do the haggling for ya for a small fee LoL!!
Anything thinking about a 2020 because it may be the last year?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts