Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hey Apex, how’s the Spider shopping going?!! What model you gonna get? Also have you had a chance to test drive one?

These are awesome Lil cars!!

Prices have come down so far at the dealers in driving distance that I'm totally focused on the Abarth. Targeting a pair of twins at Jake Sweeny Florence, literally two of the same car, identical twins, White, no stripe, no Brembos, black guts, MSRP is at $35,760, and I'm going to try for between $22K/$24K out the door.

This week I'm paying off the Mini Cooper, and then the second we get the alert the credit score has gone up, we're jumping.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I think some folks have difficulty reading.

I must have my financial ducks in a row. That includes: Paying Off The Car We Currently Owe On.

Then, We We MUST Wait Until The Relevant Credit Rating Receives The Bump For Paying Off The Car We Currently Owe On.

Then, I Can Go Kick Dealers In The Balls With Buying Power, Cash Down Payment In Hand, With A Credit Score Over 800.

The wife and I don't carry significant debt. Nearly none. We are paying off the car we currently owe on 30 months into the 60 month term on the loan. The only way we can do this, and have the cash to put the down payment down, and not drain our savings is by doing things in their proper order. '

You guys are impatient. How do you think I FEEL, chewing my f**king fingers off waiting. But, I have a system, and a budget, and it works. It got the wife out of debt hole when we met, it bought us a house and put us above water from the second we closed, and it's paying off the car we currently owe on in half the term of the loan, and putting us in a power position to buy.

Things have an order. If you follow that order, great opportunities happen. By waiting this long, all that has happened is prices have GONE DOWN.

Chill out guys, you're yucking my yum.
No difficulty reading Apex, Just ALL Rooting for YOU ! From all I have read so far you are on the edge of buying and we guys are just pushing (assisting) you in grabbing that deal whilst they are still about. I see that the "Abarth" model has now got your full attention and that the next week or so WILL see action.....One further snippet of advice, if you can maybe consider putting a small deposit on the "Abarth" of your choice to hold it and not risk somebody else grabbing Your car. I note that nobody on this forum is offering to sell you their Spider which tells you how much we all love them.....My fingers and toes are crossed for you as I am sure are everyone else's who has followed this thread. Very Best of Luck. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Prices have come down so far at the dealers in driving distance that I'm totally focused on the Abarth. Targeting a pair of twins at Jake Sweeny Florence, literally two of the same car, identical twins, White, no stripe, no Brembos, black guts, MSRP is at $35,760, and I'm going to try for between $22K/$24K out the door.

This week I'm paying off the Mini Cooper, and then the second we get the alert the credit score has gone up, we're jumping.
Good luck. I saw those cars online. Sweeney has a lot of Spiders. The red-on-red is more my speed.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I think some folks have difficulty reading.
. . .
Chill out guys, you're yucking my yum.
Awww come on man, don’t be that way, people are just excited for you and trying to help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm sorry guy, it's been a stressful week. I'm a volunteer with a group of at-risk kids, run a model-building club for the kids after school twice a week, and noticed over the past couple weeks that I'd been losing kids, and discovered that there has been some pretty bad bullying going on behind my back, and I've been trying to get my own crap done, and deal with that at the same time, and maintain any kind of joy.

My apologies.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I'm sorry guy, it's been a stressful week. I'm a volunteer with a group of at-risk kids, run a model-building club for the kids after school twice a week, and noticed over the past couple weeks that I'd been losing kids, and discovered that there has been some pretty bad bullying going on behind my back, and I've been trying to get my own crap done, and deal with that at the same time, and maintain any kind of joy.

My apologies.
Then even more important that you keep on chatting with your Team Mates here Apex ! I did 5 years as a Residential Social Worker, Children from Abusive backgrounds and Drugs/Alcohol Rehab .. I came home to play my guitar and write music to deal with it so totally understand what you are saying there Buddy.
Chipshot got me going talking about that Red on Red "Abarth at somewhere called, "Sweeney's"......I was almost throwing my kit in a collapsible suitcase (customs) and catching a flight to grab it myself when I remembered....it would probably be noticed on the airport conveyor belt and with the steering wheel on the wrong side it could be tricky pulling out to overtake in the UK. Just do as you must,but promise to post those photo's when you pick up the keys...no, press the starter...Best Wishes from us all I am sure, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Can anybody give me an idea what the US dealers are offering for an % rate, assuming a credit report over 750?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was given a 4% apr for 75 months with 820 credit score but thinking this is how they are making money off me. It don’t matter, after 90 days I’m paying it off. I still need to sell my 2010 PRHT Miata but waiting for spring when there are more buyers out there.

My credit union would do 2.6%

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got 3.99% for 60 months for a used 2019 Classica a couple months ago; CS 800+. I should have shopped it though - could have done better at the local credit union. Good luck!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks guys. If I get my OTD price and monthly payment, I haven't got an issue with FCA credit taking a slice of the cheddar. Knowing the APR going in helps me to determine exactly how hard to kick 'em in the hanging gardens...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Paid the MINI off today. Called the Society Of Atomic Scientists... they've moved the Doomsday Clock to 2 Minutes To Midnight... o_O

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hit Harbor Freight's Tool Disposal Sale yesterday and grabbed the wheel dollies I needed to play car Tetris in the garage.

Mission Accomplished! One Bay, Two Cars.

I'm set. Zero Hour is next Friday. I'm off from Wednesday for the rest of the week, and I start calling dealers. Whoever makes the right noises sees us and our business on Friday.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just FYI, even simple interest loans, like mortgages, pay the most interest in the early part of the loan. So if you get a good rate, it's actually best to just go with all the payments to the end. Just to screw with the loaner. If you can, either pay cash with the rebates/discounts or figure the financing for the full length of the loan. Don't let the finance guy snooker you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just FYI, even simple interest loans, like mortgages, pay the most interest in the early part of the loan. So if you get a good rate, it's actually best to just go with all the payments to the end. Just to screw with the loaner. If you can, either pay cash with the rebates/discounts or figure the financing for the full length of the loan. Don't let the finance guy snooker you.
Yeah, I know. Blows my mind that people reach adulthood not understanding that the first years of a mortgage are almost entirely interest. I'm fully aware of how much interest I'm likely to pay on this car, thanks.

I suppose asking for tips on negotiating are what cause people to think I'm not aware of things. I've had several loans before. I just haven't dealt with dealers, people that sell cars for a living.

Buying a car from Bubba Shmuck over on Elm off Craigslist is a bit different than buying from Robert J. Schmuck Chrysler Dodge RAM Jeep KIA Hyundai Genesis Mitsubishi Isuzu Alfa Romeo FIAT...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Apex, by looking at your pic in the blue buggy you look like a big guy. Just wondering if you have had a chance to test drive or sit in the Spider or even the newer Miata? I think I read somewhere that 6'2 is about max before it's just uncomfortable. My neighbor is 6'1 sat in mine today and seat was all the way back and it was quite snug for him.

Just hate for you to get your hopes up and the car isn't comfy for ya.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah, I've test fit one a Classica in Knoxville, and it's WAY roomier than the Manx, which fits more like a pair of wheeled boxer briefs. I will be lowering the driver's seat with the Aurora Auto Design Mount, to get that 1.125", but that's really about getting a touch more room under the wheel, rather than headroom. Without it, I'm fine, with it, the car will be perfect. I've actually been preparing myself too, lost 25lbs since Christmas, and working on more.

I will admit, I kinda kept an eye out for the Recaros... as I've heard they sit higher than the standard seats. Luckily, none of the cars in my target list are equipped...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Tell y'all one thing, wish I could get an accurate read on Hypnotique Red in a photograph... it's like no two photos, even from the same shoot, are the same...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hit Harbor Freight's Tool Disposal Sale yesterday and grabbed the wheel dollies I needed to play car Tetris in the garage.

Mission Accomplished! One Bay, Two Cars.

I'm set. Zero Hour is next Friday. I'm off from Wednesday for the rest of the week, and I start calling dealers. Whoever makes the right noises sees us and our business on Friday.
Month end will help you negotiate the best price. Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
That's why I'm shooting for literally the last two days of the month, dangling a definite buyer with cash down and a good FICO... should be prime buyin'...

41 - 60 of 121 Posts