Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a couple of interrupted (sounds like misfiring while the engine is trying to stop) stop button experiences. I'm thinking maybe I just didn't fully engage the start/stop button. Has anyone else experienced this?
Drew

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Drew, I have nothing to offer you as assistance, but if this results in a dealer visit I'm sure interested in the answer.

But in my mind the question comes up, is it possible to retrofit the push button system to a keyed ignition switch system? I'll take a key over an eletronic proximity fob for the most basic system in a car (starting and stopping the engine) anytime. Call me old fashioned...

Steve.

·
Registered
133 Posts
5 months of winter storage required 3 to 4 start attempts, but eventually it fired. The sound of the attempts was unsettling, but after it fired, all seemed normal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
5 months of winter storage required 3 to 4 start attempts, but eventually it fired. The sound of the attempts was unsettling, but after it fired, all seemed normal.
While mine sat for only 3 months, it started and was idling perfect all within 1 second. I timed it. The only thing I did that likely made a difference was that I cycled the fuel pump twice with a pause after it had completed each cycle and then finally let the car try to start. My Guzzi always preferred that procedure after it had set for a week or more. May be worth a try.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am now diligent about making sure i am pushing on the brake peddle and there is "no problem" since!

·
Registered
133 Posts
While mine sat for only 3 months, it started and was idling perfect all within 1 second. I timed it. The only thing I did that likely made a difference was that I cycled the fuel pump twice with a pause after it had completed each cycle and then finally let the car try to start. My Guzzi always preferred that procedure after it had set for a week or more. May be worth a try.
Sounds right. I assume cycling the fuel pump is just pushing the start button without the brake pedal pressed?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Lusso manual sat for about 4 months. The first start attempt was indeed "unsettling." The engine cranked for one revolution, then the engine just spun until I hit the stop button. Then I hit the button without my foot on the clutch, and then again to put in in Run mode. Listened for the fuel feed pump to stop. Cycled though to start again with clutch in, again a very short crank, then just spinning. One more time through the process, listen for fuel pump to shut off, again no start, just spin. One more time... and it finally caught, ran roughly for a couple of revs, then idled normally.

So I assume that the symptom occurs when the fuel pressure sensor doesn't send a steady pressure reading to the ECU. The intake valves are apparently held open so the engine will spin with no compression. Am I correct in my assumption?

I'm surprised that pressure in the fuel rail leaked off. Our 11-year-old Acura MDX sat right next to the Fiat, in storage for the same length of time, and it started on the first crank.

Both cars were connected to a 2-bank Battery Tender during storage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts