Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone looking for a 124 I recommend that you DO NOT give them your business. A buddy of mine was talking to them (Keith) about a Red Abarth they were expecting in and they discussed the price, etc. but the day before it arrived they found someone else willing to pay more money so they sold it to the other person. I bought my car in Jacksonville and talked to Fiat of Wesley Chapel and Fiat of Daytona and they were top notch so please give them, or another dealer, your business but NOT Melbourne Fiat!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
greed spins the wheels....

sad

·
Registered
480 Posts
a man or dealership for that matter is only as good as it's word. it is sad today our society has devolved into unscrupulous practices in an effort to make what amounts to a small amount of money. if your friend has documentation on the deal, he may pursue civil reparations for his "loss".

·
Registered
476 Posts
a lesson learned. i have met more than my fair share of car salesmen who will say the deal isn't sealed if you haven't put a down payment on the vehicle. until then it is on the market. right or wrong, fair or not that is sometimes just how some places work. if you want them to hold it even if just to think about it then make a deposit right after you get them to put in writing that the deposit is fully refundable if you want to back out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For anyone looking for a 124 I recommend that you DO NOT give them your business. A buddy of mine was talking to them (Keith) about a Red Abarth they were expecting in and they discussed the price, etc. but the day before it arrived they found someone else willing to pay more money so they sold it to the other person. I bought my car in Jacksonville and talked to Fiat of Wesley Chapel and Fiat of Daytona and they were top notch so please give them, or another dealer, your business but NOT Melbourne Fiat!
Am I the only one who doesn't see a problem with this?

If they had signed a contract and made a down payment then this would be wrong, but how was the salesman to know that they were genuinely going to buy the car if they hadn't made any financial or contractual commitment?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't see a problem with this?

If they had signed a contract and made a down payment then this would be wrong, but how was the salesman to know that they were genuinely going to buy the car if they hadn't made any financial or contractual commitment?
if you havent put money down, then you should not have an sort of expectation the car will be held.
If the salesman didnt sell to the gal who walked in 5 minutes later, based solely on previous interest.. I dont think that salesman would have a job very long.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
devils advocate...even a deposit isn't a guarantee. As quickly as the deposit is placed it can be retracted by the same individual. Also, I've seen the sale man say sorry..here's your deposit back. Can I interest you in another car? Depending on your business savy you can understand the situation, then see if you can work it into your favor. OR simply move on to another dealership and get that warm fuzzy feeling.

Simply put...Business is Business...and money makes the world go round...still sad

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He offered them a deposit and the salesman told him it was not needed since the car was not on the lot and they did not have a firm date it would arrive. They stayed in touch via email until a few days went by and he noticed it was no longer showing up on the dealer inventory page, and then they told him it sold. When he asked if they sold it for more money (non Affiliate pricing) he never heard back. So call it what you want but I call it sleezy. There are still a few Fiat dealers down here that think they can get sticker price, especially for Red manual Abarth models, and I guess some still are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was told by three FIAT dealerships that the only way to hold a car was putting down a deposit. During our hunt for a red Abarth manual, we had 1k deposits with two dealerships at different times as they tried to get us a car. We finally put a 2k deposit down on the one we ended up purchasing. Its just the way the business works these days.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told by three FIAT dealerships that the only way to hold a car was putting down a deposit. During our hunt for a red Abarth manual, we had 1k deposits with two dealerships at different times as they tried to get us a car. We finally put a 2k deposit down on the one we ended up purchasing. Its just the way the business works these days.

It depends on the dealer. I did not put a deposit down on the Red manual I just got over a week ago. When I was looking back in January I negotiated a price on my Red manual Abarth and the salesman at Jacksonville Fiat had the Manager lock it in for me, and they honored the deal. Daytona Fiat was willing to do the same so I guess it just depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
556 Posts
the guy I sail with works at my local dealership.
I knew the white Abarth was coming, told him "I'll take it"
Of course it showed up when he was on holiday, his sales manager texted him to say it was in and he called me and said "get there before they sell it to someone".. even though he had given instructions to hold it.
He was worried it would go out the door while he was out of the office.
so I went by on Saturday, took it for a spin, and signed the papers.

no check book, but no problem. I just came back the next day with a check (good excuse to have another ride in the new car).

money talks...

·
Premium Member
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
23 Posts
Just bought a new 2019 124 Spider Lusso from Fiat of Melbourne, FL. Did not have pre-sales problems. Treatment OK, pricing OK, trade-in OK.

But post-sale, I was disappointed that dealer setup of my new car was faulty. They did not prepare it for a new owner to drive away. No GPS chip, no Sirius/XM 1-year trial subscription, and missing hardware. Also, the lesson on how to use unfamiliar features was 3 min. or less, and inadequate. "Come back another time to get these problems fixed. We'll take care of it." With the sale completed, I felt unwanted.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Just bought a new 2019 124 Spider Lusso from Fiat of Melbourne, FL. Did not have pre-sales problems. Treatment OK, pricing OK, trade-in OK.

But post-sale, I was disappointed that dealer setup of my new car was faulty. They did not prepare it for a new owner to drive away. No GPS chip, no Sirius/XM 1-year trial subscription, and missing hardware. Also, the lesson on how to use unfamiliar features was 3 min. or less, and inadequate. "Come back another time to get these problems fixed. We'll take care of it." With the sale completed, I felt unwanted.
That sounds a little peculiar. Depending upon the trim level it came with, it may or may not have a navigation chip installed. As for SiriusXM, all you have to do is initialize the service. They wouldn't want to start the clock ticking down on the 1 year freebie until it actually has an owner. But back to the nav chip, did you trim include navigation, or are you saying it did include it but the dealer didn't install the chip? If they're missing stuff, it's likely there's more of the pre-delivery set-up that got bungled. Do a search on here for pre-delivery check lists and then go through it and confirm your vehicle has been properly set up.... thiings like bringing the tire pressure back down to 29 psi (from 50 for shipping), drain plugs installed under the frame, etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I thank you for your good and correct answers. My comments:

1. Nav chip was part of the purchase, and reflected on the window sticker. I believe that the dealer should have inserted this just before drive-away by the customer. Or told me, "sorry we didn't have your car ready, but it will be ready at noon tomorrow." Didn't happen. Instead, they had me drive away in a new car not prepared for delivery.

2. I can initialize Sirius/XM, but only as a paying customer. I need the dealer's action to activate the free year's service that was promised as part of buying a new car with Sirius/XM radio. It receives now only a couple of sample music stations and a sales pitch station. Dealer treatment should have been as noted in paragraph 1.

3. Your advice "do a search here for pre-delivery check lists . . . and confirm your vehicle has been properly set up . . . . " is excellent. Thanks, KT and Arthur, I'll do that. I do confess that I am worried that I will come across yet more incomplete pre-delivery actions to be done.

4. In general, it would have been great if they told me to wait two hours for all dealer items to be accomplished, or set up to deliver to me a buyer-ready car the next day.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know that I found my GPS card in the cubby with a couple other documents, so it might be around, just not installed?

Reactions: Arthur

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Good suggestion. I will look. I have had the car one day, and have not yet searched any cubbyholes or other storage areas, if any.:unsure: Thanks, Arthur.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Well, the nav chip is inexcusable. They owe you one, and installing it takes all of 10 seconds. You pop up the cover in the centre console (by the USB ports), plug the SD chip in, and you're done. After 60 miles or 100km, it's VIN locked to the vehicle.

I know they can be a royal pain the backside to deal with, but if you call the 1.800 number for SiriusXM support and explain that you've purchased a new vehicle that's supposed to get a free term. With the ID of the SiriusXM radio in your car, they should be able to confirm that and set it up for you. If not, time to kick dealership butt.

But if they missed a couple of obvious items, yes, what else did they not do. And the list to check against is exhaustive. I humbly suggest you print off a copy of this and take it to the dealership's Manager and get them to ensure everything thas been covered off... for your safety, and because you paid for it.

As for the dealer PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), this is what they're supposed to complete.... straight from Lesson 2 in the training manual they're supposed to have learned from, it clearly states that they are to follow the PDI process specific to the 124 Spider. Which they would find in the Serivce Information database that they as a dealership have access to. Specifically,:

Section 4: Vehicle Quick Reference
Subsection : New Vehicle Preparation Instructions
Sub Subsection: Standard Procedure
Article: STANDARD PROCEDURE - NEW VEHICLE PREPARATION

This would then pull up a table of activities they need to complete, and detailed instructions on how to do it. The list of activities is as follows:

Category: Vehicle Readiness
  • Keep all Protective Trnsit Film an dWheel Covers and Films on vehicle until sold, or up to 180 days
  • Install the Logistic Fuse #26 and Audio Fuse #17
  • Initialize the Indirect TPMS (I believe this step is only required for non-Abarth models, as it has Direct TPMS)
  • Initialize the Power Window System
  • Inflate Tire Pressue to max side wall pressure
  • Verify vehicle is built as invoiced
  • Install all "shipped loose" items (this would be your nav SD card)
  • Install Antenna
  • Perform all incomplete recalls and RRTs
  • Install Wheel Center Caps
Category: Underhood
  • Hood Latch and Safety Catch, adjust as needed
  • Battery state of Charge - document voltage
  • Loose attachments, routing and clearance
  • All fluid levels
  • No fluid leaks present
Category: Under Vehicle
  • Remove the underbody shield
  • No fluid leaks present
  • All fluid levels
  • Loose attachemnts, routing, clearance, damage
  • Inspect half shaft boot integrity
  • Inspect steering system integrity
  • Install the underbody shield
Category: road Test / Operational Test
  • Perform Road Test and document milegage (before and after)
  • Engine starts with all keys
  • All warning Lights and Guages / No DTCs
  • Engine starts only in Park and Neutral
  • Engine starts only with clutch depressred
  • Service and Parking Brakes
  • Brake Transmission Shift Interlock
  • Clutch / Manual Transmission Shifting
  • Automatic Transmission Shifting
  • Engine Performance - cold
  • Steering and Handling
  • Noise, Bivration, Squeaks or Rattles
  • Heater / Defrost Front
  • Air Conditioning
  • Blindspot Monitoring System (if equipped)
  • TPMS
  • Engine Performance - Warm
  • Park Assist (if equipped)
  • Back up Camera or Surround View Camera (if equipped)
Category: Interior
  • Visually inspect interior part for damage, fit, etc.
  • All interior lamps and horn
  • Rear view mirror
  • Wipers and Washers
  • All interior door locks
  • Steering wheel mounted controls
  • Power windows and Window lock switch
  • Outside power mirrors
  • Seats and seat belts - all adjustments
  • Cycle the convertible top
  • Set Clocks
  • Audio System
  • Satellite Radio (if equipped) - this would be your SiriusXM activation
  • Confirm Bluetooth language set to market
  • Verify GPS Navigation (your SD card again, in case they missed it the first time they were supposed to install it)
  • Power outlets
  • Heated seats (if equipped)
  • Tilt Steering Column
  • USB Outlets
Category: Exterior
  • Inspect body and paint for amanage and fit / finish
  • Exterior lamps
  • Lock and Unlock all doors with all mechanical keys
  • Doors - adjust strikers
  • Security alarm test
  • Remote keyless entry
  • Passive entry
Category: Vehicle Storage - I think this only applies if they hold the vehicle on the dealer's lot for a long time
  • Remove all protective transit film, keep wheel covers on until sold
  • Inflate tire pressure to max sidewall pressure
  • Periodically move vehicle to repent flat spotting on tires
  • Periodically move vehicle to rpevent corrosion on brake rotors
  • Remove the Logistics Fuse #26 and Audio Fuse #17
Category: Final Detail & Inspection - Some of this is repetitive from an earlier part of the check list
  • Inspect paint and body, touch up as needed
  • Perform all incomplete recalls and RRT's (print a current VIP Report)
  • Check and top off all fluids
  • Install the Logistics Fuse #26 and Audio Fuse #17
  • Test and record battery state of charge
  • Confirm brake rotors do not have corrosion
  • Ensure center caps are installed
  • Remove interior and exterior transportation covers
  • Wash and clean vehicle exterior
  • Clean vehicle interior

Reactions: Arthur

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Dear Arthur, Wow! What an exhaustive checklist. I will check these items that I suspect have been skipped. The checklist reads like that of a large aircraft!😲

1 - 20 of 24 Posts