Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
They do have the Abarth logo outside of North America/Canada. Seems that in North America/Canada, Fiat didn't want Abarth to be seen as "a brand", and so it's the "Fiat 124 Spider Abarth" in North America/Canada. Everywhere else it's an "Abarth 124 Spider" and Abarth badges replace the Fiat ones. On our Abarth, the only mention you will find of "Fiat" is in the owners manual. You won't find the word "Fiat" anywhere on the car (you'll find Mazda in a few places though!).

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
They do have the Abarth logo outside of North America/Canada. Seems that in North America/Canada, Fiat didn't want Abarth to be seen as "a brand", and so it's the "Fiat 124 Spider Abarth" in North America/Canada. Everywhere else it's an "Abarth 124 Spider" and Abarth badges replace the Fiat ones. On our Abarth, the only mention you will find of "Fiat" is in the owners manual. You won't find the word "Fiat" anywhere on the car (you'll find Mazda in a few places though!).
When I first took possession of my 124 Abarth, the first words out of my mouth to my salesperson were "something's wrong... it's missing it's branding". I previously owned a 2013 500 Abarth, and was expecting something similar. Watching Youtube videos led me to not anticipate anything else. So when it showed up with a Fiat button on the steering wheel, missing the Abarth fender badges, and a stock Fiat engine cover, I was pretty upset.

I love the car, but truly don't understand why they chose to hobble the branding for North America. Why would a manufacturer purposely go out of their way to annoy the user base for their premier model line?

Back to the true question, the story I got from FCA in Canada was that the airbag assembly is different for North American vehicles than it is for European models, and that they hadn't gotten the Abarth version of the steering wheel assembly certified and approved for use in North America. Given that our 500's are manufactured in Mexico, that might explain what's going on. Still not good.

As for the rest of the components, I'm gradually sourcing and adding them. I've got the fender badges in place, and am now attempting to source a red/Abarth scorpion branded engine cover to replace that Fiat thing that stares back at me whenever I open the hood. The steering wheel may be a lost cause, and I'm not about to stick a metal disk on it... which in the event of an airbag deployment would likely sever your jugular vein as it bursts off at the speed of light. :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
As I stated in another thread, I will try to cover the badge with faux carbon fiber, if it looks good I will leave that way till some one sells the Abarth badge for the steering wheel. Al least Fiat will not be noticeable.>:)

·
Registered
544 Posts
... I've got the fender badges in place, and am now attempting to source a red/Abarth scorpion branded engine cover to replace that Fiat thing that stares back at me whenever I open the hood.
If you find a place to source it let us know! I did the same with mine, all Euro specs, except the red mirror caps which (to my taste) don't fit that well with the silver aluminium color. For the steering badge, I wait 'til someone find a good solution.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As for the rest of the components, I'm gradually sourcing and adding them. I've got the fender badges in place, and am now attempting to source a red/Abarth scorpion branded engine cover to replace that Fiat thing that stares back at me whenever I open the hood. The steering wheel may be a lost cause, and I'm not about to stick a metal disk on it... which in the event of an airbag deployment would likely sever your jugular vein as it bursts off at the speed of light. :)
Please let us know if you find the red/Abarth Scorpion branded engine cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts