Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a chance to drive my car along with some friends cars. I most compare the Abarth to a buddy's S2K. I feel like our steering is way too light. On more spirited drives I feel like I have to really clench my arm to keep the steering wheel in a desired position. Slightest breath and it moves very quickly. I like the responsiveness but I wish there was a bit more weight to the steering, a bit more effort needed to turn it.

I'm hoping that when I move up to 17x8 wheels that perhaps that'll add a bit of weight to it.

Has anyone noticed that wider wheels add more weight to the steering or any thoughts on how to make it a bit stiffer?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The steering is light..its electrically assisted. The s2k used a pretty trick system of variable ratios etc.

I didnt noticed anything going to slightly wider tyres.

I'm gonna say that I've driven other electrically assisted cars with better feel than the 124...the mx5 gets similar criticism in the reviews.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,820 Posts
After some reading up on alignments, try adding 1* of caster. More forward wants to center more, the closer to straight down or rearward makes for wobbles. Think shopping cart or pretty much any chair or cart casters....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Thays always been the MX5 advice - max out the castor. Been that way since the mk1 I think. I'm at 8.1 and it does improve the feel.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Alex check your tire pressure maybe too high, bing it down to 31 when cold.

·
Registered
784 Posts
After some reading up on alignments, try adding 1* of caster. More forward wants to center more, the closer to straight down or rearward makes for wobbles. Think shopping cart or pretty much any chair or cart casters....
Calehdron:

Allow me to elaborate. Adding more positive caster, ie upper ball joint BEHIND lower ball joint adds stability and aids self centering, which will, as you say make it steer a little harder. The example you gave are good ones, but the most telling one is a bicycle where the upper steering pivot, the handle bar, or upper ball joint in a car, is way to the back compared to the lower pivot. That is why you can ride your bike hands free and still go straight. As a historical example from racing NASCAR racers started to add a lot of positive caster to their cars to aid in straight line stability, but had to resort to power steering to reduce the steering effort. All modern cars use positive caster and P/S. When was the last time you counter steered after a turn to go straight again? You just loosen your grip on the wheel, and the car straightens itself. We do this without even thinking about it! That is positive caster.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My tire pressure really was high with the recent heat, up to 35 PSI. brought that down to 31 and maybe it made a slight difference. Still waiting to order my rims & tires then I'll do a alignment and adjust the caster.

Will post if the feel changes after that.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Alex got my yellow fog lights, installed them look pretty good. My Die cast plate stll in Napoli international customs, I never trusted those Napoletanos. LOL No, news from our Friend, maybe vacationing.
Hope to see you some time next week, I let you know when I get in your area.

Reactions: Vincent Venat

·
Registered
784 Posts
My tire pressure really was high with the recent heat, up to 35 PSI. brought that down to 31 and maybe it made a slight difference. Still waiting to order my rims & tires then I'll do a alignment and adjust the caster.

Will post if the feel changes after that.
Why not go ahead now with alignment and adding positive caster? It may do the trick, and save you money by not getting new wheels etc...unless you really want the new wheels. In any event, alignment has to be done anyway, why not now?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Vincent,
You are not the only one with this steering comment.......... Please note my original post
here --> Odd tradeoff.....

Odd , isn't it ? I assure you my tire pressures are perfect...... Now, I am NOT recommending you run that way, I merely note that this is so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts