Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taught several years ago the proper steps for detailing a cars exterior.

1. Wash with Dawn dishwashing soap.
2. Clay bar painted surfaces, windows, mirrors, etc.
3. Polish
4. Sealant (you can buy polish that has a sealant in it)
5. Wax

I use PoorBoys products that can be found on their website and Amazon.
www.poorboysworld.com
When I was a moderator on the Solstice forum, they offered a discount to forum members. We even had a representative come to one of our mod meets to instruct us in the proper use of their products.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Have you tried Chemical guys clay Mitt? I haven't used it yet, and based on their claims, it appears to make the clay bar process a lot easier

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried Chemical guys clay Mitt? I haven't used it yet, and based on their claims, it appears to make the clay bar process a lot easier
I have not, but someone else tried it and gave it a positive recommendation. I may have to check out the chemical guys.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most detailers here say never to use dishwashing soap as it contains salt
Dawn was recommended to me by several professional detailers and I’ve used it in the past with very good results. I’m sure other car soap products are probably just as good, maybe even better. I’d like to hear others thoughts/recommendations.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Most detailers here say never to use dishwashing soap as it contains salt
I don't know about that, but the whole point of using dishwashing soap is that it removes all greases - and specifically waxes - from the surface. Obviously, you are going to rinse away any deposits remaining, so salt content would most likely be irrelevant.

The reason, I believe, Dawn is specifically recommended, is the consistency and reputability of the product with respect to its grease cutting ability. A cheaper dishwashing liquid may do the job, but may be weaker, and have chemicals which may be damaging to paint.

If you are following up (as the OP notes) with additional protectants, then there shouldn't be an issue with using dish washing liquids. Essentially, a poor mans tool for stripping wax, without the expense of more 'specialized' products.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just back from the grocery store with a 32oz bottle of Dawn, and ordered a Chemical guys Clay Mitt and Poorboy's polish with sealant through Amazon:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've used Ammo NYC products since I got the car in January, and it's been great. The one-two combo of Ammo Reflex and Skin work perfectly and makes cleaning the car so easy. In fact, this month when I went to reapply the Reflex and Skin, I went to clay bar it after using the Dawn dish detergent to strip the old stuff off, and the paint was smooth as glass, and the clay bar came out looking new. I was pretty impressed, and look forward to seeing how another year of the stuff holds up!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just back from the grocery store with a 32oz bottle of Dawn, and ordered a Chemical guys Clay Mitt and Poorboy's polish with sealant through Amazon:)
Looking forward to your thoughts on the detailing products you ordered jetlag.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You will have them. Having a cold snap here this week, but hopefully all will arrive in the next couple of days. I presume I should use lots of dawn to remove the wax from the car? It has been waxed a couple of times already.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I guess Dawn could be used for totally removing coats of wax prior to doing a full paint correction, but I'm not sure why one would use Dawn for wax removal instead of a clay bar. I had a total paint correction done prior to having a ceramic coating installed, and even then, no Dawn from my detailer.

Again no judgement, but I'd only ever use stuff specifically for car paint.

From Proctor & Gamble:
"Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car."

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I was not aware clay bar would totally remove wax. I was under the impression you removed the wax first

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My current steps are:

1. Rinse with hose to remove loose dirt.
2. Shake frostbite out of hands
3. Wash using Meguiars Gold, two buckets, separate wash mits for upper areas, lower areas and wheels.
4. Rinse with hose
5. Dry with MF towels.
6. Clay bar with Meguiars Quick Detailer as lubricant.
7. Question sanity.
8. Compound with DA applicator.
9. Curse as I realize I’m missing the first half of the game
10. Polish with DA applicator.
11. Tell wife I’ll be finished in 10 minutes for the 63rd time.
12. Wax with DA applicator
13. Break down in tears of joy to be finally finished with the paintwork.
14. Try 18 different products to clean the windows streak-free. Give up.
15. Vacuum and wipe down interior.
16. Praise the Lord and admire results.
17. Drive to store to pick up celebratory beers to watch the last few minutes of the game with.
18. Because it’s black, realize it’s now dirtier after drive to store than it was when you started.
1o. Curl in to fetal position and whimper for a while.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My current steps are:

1. Rinse with hose to remove loose dirt.
2. Shake frostbite out of hands
3. Wash using Meguiars Gold, two buckets, separate wash mits for upper areas, lower areas and wheels.
4. Rinse with hose
5. Dry with MF towels.
6. Clay bar with Meguiars Quick Detailer as lubricant.
7. Question sanity.
8. Compound with DA applicator.
9. Curse as I realize I’m missing the first half of the game
10. Polish with DA applicator.
11. Tell wife I’ll be finished in 10 minutes for the 63rd time.
12. Wax with DA applicator
13. Break down in tears of joy to be finally finished with the paintwork.
14. Try 18 different products to clean the windows streak-free. Give up.
15. Vacuum and wipe down interior.
16. Praise the Lord and admire results.
17. Drive to store to pick up celebratory beers to watch the last few minutes of the game with.
18. Because it’s black, realize it’s now dirtier after drive to store than it was when you started.
1o. Curl in to fetal position and whimper for a while.

As Darth Vader would have said IMPRESSIVE":laugh:

·
Registered
102 Posts
My question is why are some of you removing wax and clay barring a car that is essentially new.
Why not wash it and polish it and add another coat of wax
I haven’t fussed with a car since my 2010 Challenger and it had 10 coats of wax on it
I drove it on nice days
I washed it with Maguires or Griots
I waxed it
The finish looked like a mirror and when I hosed it the beading was incredible
I wish My phone download a sharp picture to this site
Anyway have fun with it
But claybaring a brand new car that you brought home and kept wax on seems like unnecessary work to me

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Trebor. I took advantage of a 55F day at home today to wash the car. Being it is a new car, after washing with lots of Dawn, water still ran off as if the wax was still there. Then I tried the Clay Bar Mitt from CG, and it seems to work very nicely. You won't have to worry as far as dropping it, as it slides in your hand just like a washing mitt.I then tried the Poorboy's world polish and Sealant. It went on and off very easily. I still see small scratches or small imperfections on the paint in places with the sun shining just right. Red paint tends to do that, I think, easier to see imperfections. I will wax tomorrw, will put it in the shop with the big kerosene jet heater, lol. The temps will not go above low 30"s for the next 7 days, with lows in the teens. Our northern brothers are sharing this cold mess with us I am afraid

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trebor. I took advantage of a 55F day at home today to wash the car. Being it is a new car, after washing with lots of Dawn, water still ran off as if the wax was still there. Then I tried the Clay Bar Mitt from CG, and it seems to work very nicely. You won't have to worry as far as dropping it, as it slides in your hand just like a washing mitt.I then tried the Poorboy's world polish and Sealant. It went on and off very easily. I still see small scratches or small imperfections on the paint in places with the sun shining just right. Red paint tends to do that, I think, easier to see imperfections. I will wax tomorrw, will put it in the shop with the big kerosene jet heater, lol. The temps will not go above low 30"s for the next 7 days, with lows in the teens. Our northern brothers are sharing this cold mess with us I am afraid
Glad to hear you had a chance to do this. One thing I forgot to mention is that I use a buffer/polisher which makes the whole process less laborious and, by using the right polishing pads, will virtually eliminate any swirls/scratches. I’m assuming you did yours by hand. I’m glad you liked CG’s clay bar mitt, I may have to consider one in the future.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Glad to hear you had a chance to do this. One thing I forgot to mention is that I use a buffer/polisher which makes the whole process less laborious and, by using the right polishing pads, will virtually eliminate any swirls/scratches. I’m assuming you did yours by hand. I’m glad you liked CG’s clay bar mitt, I may have to consider one in the future.
Ok so what type/brand of polisher do you use? I have been afraid of polishing the paint right off, lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear you had a chance to do this. One thing I forgot to mention is that I use a buffer/polisher which makes the whole process less laborious and, by using the right polishing pads, will virtually eliminate any swirls/scratches. I’m assuming you did yours by hand. I’m glad you liked CG’s clay bar mitt, I may have to consider one in the future. Chemical Guys website has a link to their forum on their website. They have several videos regarding detailing that are excellent and the forum itself can be very helpful. http://chemicalguysforum.com/forum.php

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thank You, I will check it out

1 - 20 of 36 Posts