Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Apparently, Chris carries these for AFE. So, we will start offering them as on option with purchase of the V1 intake. We will be flow testing the filter to see how it compares to the K&N.

·
Retired Moderator
674 Posts
Apparently, Chris carries these for AFE. So, we will start offering them as on option with purchase of the V1 intake. We will be flow testing the filter to see how it compares to the K&N.
I would like to see that comparison test...same day 3 filters back to back to back...that will be some great data...post up as soon as possible...I will be watching;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Will you be offering the Oiled or Dry AFE? Or both? I plan on running the Dry, it's just one less step in cleaning the filter and fits my lazy life style perfectly. haha

·
Vendor
3,428 Posts
Will you be offering the Oiled or Dry AFE? Or both? I plan on running the Dry, it's just one less step in cleaning the filter and fits my lazy life style perfectly. haha
Probably both. In any case, I'll get back to you guys with comparison flow data for these filters.

Greg

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would like to see that comparison test...same day 3 filters back to back to back...that will be some great data...post up as soon as possible...I will be watching;)
I thought you had the V4 intake?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I actually have a V1 and a V4 intake...I am currently running the V1 intake...
Is there a reason why? I was going to go with the V4 just before spring gets here. There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason not to, but maybe there's something not mentioned.

Reactions: JFernald

·
Retired Moderator
674 Posts
Is there a reason why? I was going to go with the V4 just before spring gets here. There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason not to, but maybe there's something not mentioned.
The V4 performs as expected...Greg in an earlier thread spoke of the when cleaning your filter if you take it apart watch not to damage the o-ring on the inlet end or oil that gets in the filter will leak out...these cars have a lot of blow by and oil pools at the inlet of the turbo...it then runs downhill in the intake tubing to the filter...the V4 filter tubing from the turbo is more downward inclined than the stock filter allowing any pooled oil to drain towards it...even the stock system will do this to some extent but the ridges in the tubing and the tube itself being almost level prevent it from getting to the stock air box...now that being said all these cars have blow by...some have more than others...according to FCA 1 quart of oil consumption in 2000 miles is acceptable with higher use in aggressive driving conditions...although I have never seen the oil low on the dipstick...I have seen more oil in the intake than I like...so I have put my V1 back on until a suitable catch can can be installed...this is not being caused by the V4 intake...I believe that my car just has more blowby than some other cars and to be quite honest I drive quite often in the 3000-6000 rpm band which is considered aggressive driving by FCA and where this will happen the most...I have also seen other members running the V4 without any oil in the filter...the V4 is a great product and I will run it again when I get the catch can installed on my car...:D

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the V4 and have had no issues with oil getting into it. I checked it this morning and could not ever smell oil in the V4 filter, much less see or feel oil anywhere in the V4 intake upstream of the evap hose connections.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I will run it again when I get the catch can installed on my car...:D
Although I have not had the same issue, I am also searching for a catch can. I have not yet decided on which one to get since there are so many options, yet limited fitment capabilities. The fittings need to be of appropriate size, flow rates need to be sufficient and connection to the vehicle needs to be convenient to allow for cleaning or draining.

If anyone comes up with what they think is the perfect fit, let us know.

Reactions: PureAdrenaline

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Okay, so just a slight oil problem, potentially. Nothing that an inspection and clean of the filter shouldn't take care of, it seems.

Instead of the crankcase oil vapor being sucked back into the throttle intake it's 'condensing' on the intake boot and rolling back into the filter housing? Is that correct? The catch can (first I've heard of such a thing to be honest) catches the vaporized oil before it reaches the intake system?

Reactions: PureAdrenaline

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
A lot of folks with the Dart 1.4L were getting oil in their air intake via the hose from the PCV oil collector box, but my Dart never exhibited the issue. I even put a catch can on the line for a time and it stayed bone dry. We will see how my 1.4L does in this regard in my 124.

·
Retired Moderator
674 Posts
Okay, so just a slight oil problem, potentially. Nothing that an inspection and clean of the filter shouldn't take care of, it seems.

Instead of the crankcase oil vapor being sucked back into the throttle intake it's 'condensing' on the intake boot and rolling back into the filter housing? Is that correct? The catch can (first I've heard of such a thing to be honest) catches the vaporized oil before it reaches the intake system?
That is correct...but obviously some cars have more than others...yours may be like John's and have none...

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
A lot of folks with the Dart 1.4L were getting oil in their air intake via the hose from the PCV oil collector box, but my Dart never exhibited the issue. I even put a catch can on the line for a time and it stayed bone dry. We will see how my 1.4L does in this regard in my 124.
Let me add, I DID have a lot of oil in my intercooler pipes. I believe my Dart had a leaky oil seal in the turbo.

·
Vendor
3,428 Posts
This car throws a surprising amount of oil into the intake. I thought the 500 Abarth and the Dart threw in a lot, but this one is worse. In the case of the stock intake or our V1 intake, all that oil goes through the turbo, intercoolers, and so on. When you shut off the engine, the oil sits in the intake tube until you start the engine again and it continues its journey.

I have always been surprised at how little oil it takes to make a big mess. Even a thimble full of oil can coat a large area, an amount equal to about 1/2 a shot glass can make an incredible mess.

In the case of the V4, the same amount of oil goes in, and the oil takes the same journey, but when you shut off the engine some of it can trickle downhill and collect in the filter. It's a very small amount, and once the engine starts the oil continues its journey, but at any given time there will be some oil collecting in there, it's normal and it's harmless. The V4's filter has a rubber 0-ring to prevent the oil from dripping out. In the case of Pure's car, his was one of the first V4s (may have actually been the first) and his didn't have that o-ring. We sent him one but for some reason it didn't seal. I am taking care if it for him.

The air:eek:il separator (aka catch can) is a bit off topic, but it's sort of related. The factory separator is poor, so we going to release a kit that adds an additional separator. We were ready to release it, but one of my guys figured out a way to make a worthwhile improvement at almost zero additional cost, so we are delaying it until this new version is ready. Assuming that this change works as we think it will and passes testing, I think that when other vendors see it, every one will copy our configuration, or the do-it-yourselves out there could buy a catch can hoses, bracket, etc. and duplicate with good results. So there is no point in releasing the current version which has been seen on another thread.

Greg

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
This car throws a surprising amount of oil into the intake. I thought the 500 Abarth and the Dart threw in a lot, but this one is worse. In the case of the stock intake or our V1 intake, all that oil goes through the turbo, intercoolers, and so on. When you shut off the engine, the oil sits in the intake tube until you start the engine again and it continues its journey.

I have always been surprised at how little oil it takes to make a big mess. Even a thimble full of oil can coat a large area, an amount equal to about 1/2 a shot glass can make an incredible mess.

In the case of the V4, the same amount of oil goes in, and the oil takes the same journey, but when you shut off the engine some of it can trickle downhill and collect in the filter. It's a very small amount, and once the engine starts the oil continues its journey, but at any given time there will be some oil collecting in there, it's normal and it's harmless. The V4's filter has a rubber 0-ring to prevent the oil from dripping out. In the case of Pure's car, his was one of the first V4s (may have actually been the first) and his didn't have that o-ring. We sent him one but for some reason it didn't seal. I am taking care if it for him.

The air:eek:il separator (aka catch can) is a bit off topic, but it's sort of related. The factory separator is poor, so we going to release a kit that adds an additional separator. We were ready to release it, but one of my guys figured out a way to make a worthwhile improvement at almost zero additional cost, so we are delaying it until this new version is ready. Assuming that this change works as we think it will and passes testing, I think that when other vendors see it, every one will copy our configuration, or the do-it-yourselves out there could buy a catch can hoses, bracket, etc. and duplicate with good results. So there is no point in releasing the current version which has been seen on another thread.

Greg

·
Registered
615 Posts
A compelling reason for anyone with non-fluoro (FMVQ) lined silicon hose intakes (from any manufacturer) to fit a catch can is that over the long term oil and silicone do NOT play nicely together.

I've fitted one solution today, some happy snaps to follow tomorrow on the catch can thread (to keep this one on topic)...

http://www.124spider.org/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/8466-catch-can.html

21 - 40 of 49 Posts