Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Apparently, Chris carries these for AFE. So, we will start offering them as on option with purchase of the V1 intake. We will be flow testing the filter to see how it compares to the K&N.
Probably both. In any case, I'll get back to you guys with comparison flow data for these filters.

Greg
Greg- have your folks performed the flow testing on the AFE and K&N filters yet? Maybe throwing the OEM air filter in on the test as well, along with filter specifications to help draw conclusions between the filters?

An earlier message to this thread proposed the OEM filter having about 100 sq. in. more filter surface than the AFE, but per AFE their filter flows 483cfm vs. the OEM's 361cfm. Graph from AFE here- http://afepower.com/media/catalog/product/files/pdpfiles/3/1/31-10266i1600.1473447090.jpg
At first blush, this tells me the synthetic filter media of the AFE is somehow allowing more air to flow, being that it has less filter media but possibly larger gaps between the strands of synthetic filter media. (Or maybe the engineering of the synthetic media is of the same density as the paper fibers of the OEM, but air flows more efficiently, possibly with less friction, through the synthetic media?) Momentary flow test data is good to know, but long term (i.e. filter service period) harmful pollutant stopping capacity is just as, if not more important. Which filter stops more damaging dirt primarily, and finer (possibly non-damaging) particles secondarily, over a typical service cycle?

Thanks,
Steve.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
604 Posts
So what ever happened? Now that my car is here I am thinking about a different air filter, or should I?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So what ever happened? Now that my car is here I am thinking about a different air filter, or should I?
Yeah, good question, Bob.

Hey Greg, did your guys ever bench test the aFe filters against the other filters (stock and K&N), like y'all said you would? I for one would love to see the comparison results.

I did install the non-oil version aFe filter into my factory air box when I installed the EC V1 air intake tube. This was when the car was brand new. As far as I know, it has been working just fine. I'm a bit over 5000 miles now, maybe I should pull it out and clean it.

Steve.

·
Registered
232 Posts
yes, i would clean it...

Hey Greg, did your guys ever bench test the aFe filters against the other filters (stock and K&N), like y'all said you would? I for one would love to see the comparison results.

I did install the non-oil version aFe filter into my factory air box when I installed the EC V1 air intake tube. This was when the car was brand new. As far as I know, it has been working just fine. I'm a bit over 5000 miles now, maybe I should pull it out and clean it.

Steve.
Steve... I'm been running Afe filters in my cars for a long time... the non-oiled ones.. and I religiously clean them every 5,000 miles, which is usually when I do my oil changes. Just vaucmn with your shop vac, first, then soak in 5 gallon bucket of water and DAWN dishwashing liquid, let dry overnight, and you are done. Come out looking like brand new.
Not Sure.:)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well my AFE air filter and PTP turbo blanket have arrived. I had them shipped to Florida, save some shipping cost and tomorrow I will have them. I will try to install them by next weekend.
So my V1 can breath more.

Reactions: Seagas and wolf18t

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Steve... I'm been running Afe filters in my cars for a long time... the non-oiled ones.. and I religiously clean them every 5,000 miles, which is usually when I do my oil changes. Just vaucmn with your shop vac, first, then soak in 5 gallon bucket of water and DAWN dishwashing liquid, let dry overnight, and you are done. Come out looking like brand new.
Not Sure.:)
Sounds like a good protocol, NS, thanks.

Steve.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Steve.
Hey Steve,

We have not had a chance to finish flow testing the aFe against the other drop in filters. We have flow tested both the stock and the K&N. We saw only very slight gains over stock with the K&N filter, but I am confident that the aFe filter is superior. The filter element is similar to what we use on our enclosed and cone element filters (EC and Sprint), which we have found to be superior in flow and filtration in contrast to this particular K&N filter. The aFe also has more surface area and better pleat design IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been over this before, so I'll be brief. The K&N panel filter that fits the 124 does not flow any more air than the stock filter (at least not on my flow bench). Although the actual materiel in the K&N is more free flowing, it's offset by its reduced filter area. In other words, the stock filter has deeper pleats and thus more area. So in terms of performance the two are essentially identical.

So what does the K&N filter offer? Simple, it's washable and reusable. Lots of people have been using them on Multiair engines and they work just fine. They don't filter quite as well as some other options (my opinion) but they don't let anything through that's large enough to cause any measurable wear. Generally speaking objects greater than 10 microns in diameter cause most engine wear and down to that level the K&N filters pretty darn well.

Greg

Note: This post is 124 specific. In many cases the K&N panel filters have deeper pleats and do outperform stock paper filters. I don't know why they dropped the ball with the 124 filter.
I installed a K&N filter and immediately noticed the engine revs more freely, accelerates more readily and warms up more quickly. K&N makes it almost feel like i put it in ¨sport mode¨, so I highly recommend it. They also don´t need changing for at least 20k, even 50k they say (I will clean and re oil it before that), so better performance and you save time and money.

·
Registered
2018 124 Abarth mt
43 Posts
^ One post and you resurrect a three and a half year old thread to laud a product of a company known to deploy testimonial-givers on forums all over the internet? ;)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts