Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sadly...no aloha in this thread. I debated long and hard on the title of the thread and if I should even post it... I still don't know or like it. My heart broke yesterday...sitting at a traffic signal light...waiting like the several other cars in front of me for the light to turn green.

BANG!!!!!

what the Fudge was that? (BTW I didn't say fudge) look around...car has stalled...look in the rearview mirror...and theres a HUGE GOLD BOWTIE on my a$$.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

yep....knucklehead was looking at his phone and foot let up on his brakes. rolled into me while sitting at the light.

we pulled over and I went OLD NAVY SAILOR on the guy. (In the end I actually apologized to him for my reaction...**** snowflakes) He said sorry.. I cursed more..asked what he was doing or thinking..."I was looking down... YOU WHERE TEXTING?!?!?!...no..no... " then why did you rear end me? No response....

ME CURSING AGAIN....

So in the end...(pun) I get to go thru the Lusso of getting quotes...hassles of fighting with his insurance (BTW it's a NO-Fault State) to get my repairs done to MY satisfaction. (Which I don't know if I will ever be satisfied)

so the damage...as I said...he rolled into me..THANKFULLY... if there is anything to be thankful for... is the truck a (2008 Chevy 2500 work truck) only struck my bumper...the trunk/lights spared.

His tow hooks hit and pushed the bumper in...popped the backup sensors in (they don't work now) and damaged the rear tow hook cover. Put a nice new crease in the bumper too.

I got home and started my attempt at body repairs 101. Did a decent job for what its worth. Also...from my observations nothing underneath was damaged. All the brackets, mounts are intact, even the lower back-up lamp is ok. So from what I can see its just the bumper. (Not even foam from the factory in the bumpers...kinda surprising theres none).

But saying that...the bumper has all kinds of mounts, brackets, rivets, connectors, tie points etc.etc.etc.

I don't think any shop will put it back like its from the factory. SMH. (jeez I wonder how many months for parts I'l have to wait)

first photo was at the accident
second photo was at home
third was after my repairs.

My GREATEST fear came true..poor Wendi is no longer a virgin.

Attachments

Reactions: jyudell and Seagas

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sorry this happened to you, it's such a shame people can't put the GD phone away when driving.

Your repairs look good, but I'm guessing there's a new bumper in your future.

From what I understand, the "No Fault" law does not apply to property damage
or vehicular damage. It applies to medical payments for those injured in an accident. There is no need to prove fault for medical claims, you still need to prove fault for property damage.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure we have some insurance pros on the forum.

Good luck with the inevitable hassle in getting the car fixed. Thank goodness it was a glancing blow.
Wendi is a big girl now!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
F********************************ck!

THAT REALLY STINKS
good luck w/ the repairs
I think it's time the PD took a more active role in getting people to leave the phone alone until they aren't behind the wheel.. like in OZ

·
Registered
850 Posts
F********************************ck!

THAT REALLY STINKS
good luck w/ the repairs
I think it's time the PD took a more active role in getting people to leave the phone alone until they aren't behind the wheel.. like in OZ

https://youtu.be/9N1iw5Vdim8
Love the last comment "You have no idea what's going on around you". The cop is next to her with his lights flashing and she is oblivious......

·
Registered
461 Posts
Arrgh! That sux. I feel for you.

I gave up cycling because on a good day most people can't drive well. Put a phone in their hands and there are NO good days behind the wheel.

Personally, I wish phones were still connected to the wall.

·
Registered
769 Posts
you are lucky. you are unhurt and btw did you see my rosso? hit on the side about 10x worse than yours.... and the repairs have left her sadly nowhere close to original.....

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@hefbadr

you're right in regards to the no-fault in Hawaii...The property damage is still covered by the other party as the fault is still theirs.

[Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Hawaii is considered a no-fault state. This means that when you are in an accident, you will automatically be covered for your injuries and any injuries suffered by your passengers, up to your policy's limits.
This type of no-fault car insurance is personal injury protection, most commonly referred to as “PIP."
Hawaii requires no-fault insurance as a way to limit lawsuits for car accidents to only those that involve very serious injuries.
In Hawaii, the required minimum PIP limit is $10,000.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you are lucky. you are unhurt and btw did you see my rosso? hit on the side about 10x worse than yours.... and the repairs have left her sadly nowhere close to original.....

I know bro..I did see yours and it made my heart stop. Wasn't it a motorcyclist that hit you?

Just so frustrating. You work hard/smart,you plan/save and the carelessness of others dictate your day. ugh

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
446 Posts
Oh no! So sorry to see this. Glad you are okay and that it wasn't more serious in that regard. New bumper will look great. If there is no other damage, it should be good as new given that it will be a new part.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no! So sorry to see this. Glad you are okay and that it wasn't more serious in that regard. New bumper will look great. If there is no other damage, it should be good as new given that it will be a new part.
thats true...but I like the original bumper!!! Thankfully, its an easy color to match. My main concerns are parts availability and the competency of the technician doing the work. Have you crawled underneath to take a good long look at all the contact point for the bumper?

Gone are the days of 6 chrome bolts to hang a new bumper. lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
That really stinks! Hopefully all goes well with the repairs and Wendi will be back to normal.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Yep. She's been banged and in your eyes will never be the same. My heart goes out to you. I check my Fabiana daily for that first parking lot ding. I know how proud you are of Wendi from your numerous posts. Thankfully no mechanicals were damaged. As you said a new bumper fascia will take care of the damage. The trick is finding a shop that can match the paint unless you can get the part color matched from the factory.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I considered just going all David duchovny in californication with the Porsche headlamp

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ohhhhh Noooooo

I know your anguish !! We have all been there before

I find that all you need to do is to stoop stressing, find yourself a top quality panelbeaters ("bodyshop" I believe you call them) and let them do their magic

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mahalo 124spider members for the love.

I've been up since 1:30am with the stress and worry about Wendi. Of course in the grand scheme of things this is NOTHING. But it's sure funny how nothing hurts!

I've been in touch with 3 body shops (in hawaii ...that could mean strip club!) and I can't get in till next week. The body shops..not the clubs...those are easier to get into..ha!

The other parties insurance has been in contact with me several times today. Being proactive..which is great.

I contacted the local studio parts dealer and they said the rear facia is 2-4 days out at $600. I'm going to request all the parking assist and blind reverse modules be replaced too.

All looks good underneath. But I'm only looking at surface. Once you go to unbolt or pop rivets.. all heck could break loose.

Oh and btw..at least once an hour I mumble or shout an F-bomb.

If the body guy's take pride in their work..it should look new...darn should is a BIG word.
Aloha

·
Registered
549 Posts
If it makes you feel any better .........

A lot of "brand new" cars need a bit of body work before that are delivered to their unsuspecting owners - and they are none the wiser

·
Registered
850 Posts
If it makes you feel any better .........

A lot of "brand new" cars need a bit of body work before that are delivered to their unsuspecting owners - and they are none the wiser
I worked at new car dealers in a previous life. I was in charge of PDI department for several years. If you knew what some of these cars went through before delivery you would cringe. Swapping parts, body work, paint...the list is endless. There were always cars in the back lot with various missing components that were removed to repair and ready other cars for delivery....It was always hilarious when a salesman sold one of those "donors" without actually looking at it...here he thought it would be a quick delivery, yet the donor was awaiting parts, often on backorder....tough to explain to an eager buyer awaiting a paid for car....It's a dirty business.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I know bro..I did see yours and it made my heart stop. Wasn't it a motorcyclist that hit you?

Just so frustrating. You work hard/smart,you plan/save and the carelessness of others dictate your day. ugh
Nope. dodge truck. hurt her real bad. no one injured except my car. it's not the same. story of the repair is too long unless we are at a bar with a few drinks... but all is good. still love my rosso. 10.5K on her already, and she's not going to be new and perfect forever. but sure is fun to drive...

Reactions: depotdan and Mike34

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope. dodge truck. hurt her real bad. no one injured except my car. it's not the same. story of the repair is too long unless we are at a bar with a few drinks... but all is good. still love my rosso. 10.5K on her already, and she's not going to be new and perfect forever. but sure is fun to drive...

ugh....well I guess the mopars love each other so much and wanted to say aloha..up close and personal. Sorry man.

I'm going through the process now to get quotes. Got one yesterday (incomplete as they don't know pricing yet on the parts).

Reactions: Seagas
1 - 20 of 48 Posts