Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work from home (meaning my 124 will be for leisure/trips to the store above all else) and am garaging my 124 so I'm wondering if I should unlatch but not fold the top during those periods when I know I won't use the car. Examples include snow/ice/bad weather, or when on vacation/business trips.

I'm not saying fold it down as I realize that can lead to permanent creases, just unlatch the top to relieve pressure on the material and cover the car to prevent dust from getting in.

I plan on keeping the car long term and am looking for all tricks to keep the top looking like new. Since the car will be garaged fading isn't my enemy, but I don't want the top to stretch over the years if possible. To be honest 90%+ of the time I drive this car will be with the top down, so maybe I am paranoid, but I am careful with everything I own and experience almost no issues outside of wear and tear from regular use.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I work from home (meaning my 124 will be for leisure/trips to the store above all else) and am garaging my 124 so I'm wondering if I should unlatch but not fold the top during those periods when I know I won't use the car. Examples include snow/ice/bad weather, or when on vacation/business trips.

I'm not saying fold it down as I realize that can lead to permanent creases, just unlatch the top to relieve pressure on the material and cover the car to prevent dust from getting in.

I plan on keeping the car long term and am looking for all tricks to keep the top looking like new. Since the car will be garaged fading isn't my enemy, but I don't want the top to stretch over the years if possible. To be honest 90%+ of the time I drive this car will be with the top down, so maybe I am paranoid, but I am careful with everything I own and experience almost no issues outside of wear and tear from regular use.
I've owned various roadsters over the years, always parked them with the top latched and never had a top stretch or do anything unforeseen. I'd think that with the tension released you'd be more likely to have problems with wrinkles or deforming, especially of the inner liner. I had an MG that needed the top replaced but that was after 20 years. And the new top was easy and not terribly expensive.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've driven a few convertibles over the years. The oldest top shop in my city recommends leaving the top up, unlatched.

That being said, I'm just not going to do it. Too much hassle & worry. It will still be a long time before the top wears out. I'll just replace it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My prior convertible was stored with the top up and latched as well, no issues on these ends. I can see why you would be worried though, I would be too. These aren't really the cheapest to get re-done.

·
Registered
267 Posts
With my NC, I always flipped the top up and left it unlatched when parked either outside or in my garage. Not too scientific but after nearly 3 years the top looked great.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am not sure why unlatched is better although if someone wanted to break in they could just lower it without cutting it, if they noticed it was in fact unlatched!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts