Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Strange Crash

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Th3Tr3mors 
#1 ·
I wonder why speedometer and tach were frozen at 130 mph and 7k rpm? they acted like black box>

Speedometer Vehicle Tachometer Plant Trip computer

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: Th3Tr3mors
#4 ·
I would break the speedometer glass and bring that needle down, that way the police won t ticket you for speeding and and insurance won t find an excuse not to pay for the accident.

#6 ·
I may be wrong, but I thought they could poll information from the electronics in the car to retrieve the driving conditions prior to a crash (speed, acceleration, braking, etc.). Manually pushing the needles on the dials around won't hide much from the insurance folks or police, if they choose to pull the data from the vehicle's computer systems. Maybe not true for vehicles more than a couple of decades old, but for our Spiders, I think the data is all safely stored away for retrieval.

#11 ·
Book Publication Font Paper Paper product
This is from pg's 146-147 of my 2018 owners manual. The full text continues onto pg. 148, basically explains what is recorded, why, what happens at/after an event. In short, the system records data such as vehicle speed, accelerator, brake and steering inputs, occupancy detection and if seat belts were buckled - for a short period of time before, during and after a crash. It also, upon a crash event, cuts off vehicle power and fuel delivery and unlocks the doors. It will set a DTC indicating a crash has occured, which you cannot erase, and special equipment (available to police dept's as well as the manufacturer and dealers) is required to access this data. Best, s

#12 ·
About recorded/saved data - a quick little story about one of my customers and his car ( not a Fiat, and not crash related ). A good customer I had known for years brought his car in due to the check engine light being on. He also needed a state inspection sticker which requires that the cause of the CEL be fixed. Well, turns out it was a transmission selected gear / road speed correlation issue, as well as front wheel speed and rear wheel speed correlation DTC set in the ABS system. I also had to fail the car for a sticker because the front tires were worn absolutely bald, with straight line grooves cut into the circumference of the tire ( it was a front wheel drive car). I told the customer I could clear his codes, he didn't need any mechanical or electronic repairs at this time ( transmission fluid level/odor/color all ok, and transmission performed and shifted properly at this time), but that he would need two new front tires for a sticker. "WHAT!? The cars only got 10,000 miles on it!!! Why the F--- do I need new tires?". Good question, I understand why he's pissed, I would be too, but . . . So, I showed him the data that the car recorded when the codes set: front wheels smoking at 112 mph, rears were only going about 25. Then I showed him his tires - fronts terribly worn as described above, rears almost perfect. "Oh, . . . " He said. "Guess I gotta go home and have a very one sided chat with my boy . . ." 😃 Hope you all enjoyed this little true story. Best, s

#14 ·
About recorded/saved data - a quick little story about one of my customers and his car ( not a Fiat ). A good customer I had known for years brought his car in due to the check engine light being on. He also needed a state inspection sticker which requires that the cause of the CEL be fixed. Well, turns out it was a transmission selected gear / road speed correlation issue, as well as front wheel speed and rear wheel speed correlation DTC set in the ABS system. I also had to fail the car for a sticker because the front tires were worn absolutely bald, with straight line grooves cut into the circumference of the tire ( it was a front wheel drive car). I told the customer I could clear his codes, he didn't need any mechanical or electronic repairs at this time ( transmission fluid level/odor/color all ok, and transmission performed and shifted properly at this time), but that he would need two new front tires for a sticker. "WHAT!? The cars only got 10,000 miles on it!!! Why the F--- do I need new tires?". Good question, I understand why he's pissed, I would be too, but . . . So, I showed him the data that the car recorded when the codes set: front wheels smoking at 112 mph, rears were only going about 25. Then I showed him his tires - fronts terribly worn as described above, rears almost perfect. "Oh, . . . " He said. "Guess I gotta go home and have a very one sided chat with my boy . . ." 😃 Hope you all enjoyed this little true story. Best, s
Nah, just rotate 'em.

Reactions: Mike34
#15 ·
It's also possible that the frontal impact lifted the rear wheels off the ground to free spin for a moment before the engine fuel shut off on the engine kicked in.

Reactions: Brody
#19 ·
.... Assuming it hit a stationary object. It could look like that if it rear-ended something that was travelling at highway speed, possibly?

#26 · (Edited)
This is wild!!! This was actually my old spider.. I was turning at a protected light and someone ran the red and slammed into me. I was going maybe 15 miles an hour, literally just easing into a turn from a stop. Lady had to have been going around 45ish. I got beat up a bit, compression fracture in my back and ankle.

proof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.