Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 124 started doing a strange knocking sound when turning the steering wheel in either direction while travelling at a low speed (parking speed). I made an appointment with the brilliant folks at Galeana Fiat here in Fort Myers (18 day wait for an appointment) and after two days, they said they didn't hear anything abnormal. I pick the car up and immediately hear it when I got home. The kicker here is while I drove the same path at the same speed to try and replicate the issue, there's a chance that this doesn't happen. Any ideas?

The car is a 2017 Abarth (9k miles) with no suspension or brake modifications (yet).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've actually been having this same phenomenon. It only happens at low speeds like in a parking lot, as you say. I only notice it when doing a full left turn (and the steering wheel has been turned fully/all the way). Doesn't seem to happen when turning to the right. It's been like that since day 1 (I'm at about 11k miles).

Unfortunately I don't have any other input besides "me too" as I haven't tried to take it in yet. I'll be getting underneath this weekend to install the AR muffler delete so I'm going to take a look at the front axle area as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Usually a sound like that could be an axel or a CV boot or summat (possibly loose motor mounts but I think she's not old enough for that). I have the same year (2017), about the same milage, and have just started to hear that sound myself. As soon as I can get it on a lift I'd like to take a look. Have you inspected the undercarriage?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had this same strange sound coming from what sounded like the front left. Only happened at low speeds, going into a turn, most especially if the turn was uneven like turning out of a driveway. It turns out that all the bolts and push fasteners for the front clip along the hood edge were missing. The whole thing was flexing and making a clunking noise when it was torqued in a turn. I bought and installed the fasteners and no more noise!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Usually a sound like that could be an axel or a CV boot or summat (possibly loose motor mounts but I think she's not old enough for that). I have the same year (2017), about the same milage, and have just started to hear that sound myself. As soon as I can get it on a lift I'd like to take a look. Have you inspected the undercarriage?
Im almost 100% certain it is this. I had this issue on another car, and the CV boot was loose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So: update. That weird knock knock sound disappeared and in its place I started hearing a strange rattle at random times that didn't quite sound suspension related. We'll, I had a look underneath and there's a silver panel covering near the transmission bits (it probs has a name). Twas missing two bolts and two more were hella loose (pardon the Californian expression)! They're 12mm bolts with the washer built in with a green protective coating. Maybe this will help others hearing similar sounds of worry and fright.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
this?

aloha mike

Attachments

Reactions: Toobamoo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had this same strange sound coming from what sounded like the front left. Only happened at low speeds, going into a turn, most especially if the turn was uneven like turning out of a driveway. It turns out that all the bolts and push fasteners for the front clip along the hood edge were missing. The whole thing was flexing and making a clunking noise when it was torqued in a turn. I bought and installed the fasteners and no more noise!
My dealership claims it is a worn strut mount and is warranting the repair... Mine started about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Is the sound coming from the front end? If so, it probably isn't the CV joints. Maybe Ackerman instead? That's usually the reason for the common Alfa Romeo Giulia complaint. There's actually a TSB for it (02-003-17) that is really just an explanation.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Interesting, I have developed the same thing, a repeating clunk when turning left at low speed. It happens when the steering wheel is all the way to the left, rolling forward or reverse.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting, I have developed the same thing, a repeating clunk when turning left at low speed. It happens when the steering wheel is all the way to the left, rolling forward or reverse.
Hello sharkcohen,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. Please feel free to let us know via private message if you decide to address this with your dealer and we will gladly assist you during that process.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
CV joint noise when turning sounds more like a FWD characteristic.

Alfa Giulias are known for Ackerman steering geometry noise at low speeds. Spiders, too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the input. I'm having the same issue (2017 Classica, 5k miles). This is very helpful and I'll try to deal with it myself before taking it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have any photos you can share - I would greatly appreciate it as I have the same issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
So the 124 started doing a strange knocking sound when turning the steering wheel in either direction while travelling at a low speed (parking speed). I made an appointment with the brilliant folks at Galeana Fiat here in Fort Myers (18 day wait for an appointment) and after two days, they said they didn't hear anything abnormal. I pick the car up and immediately hear it when I got home. The kicker here is while I drove the same path at the same speed to try and replicate the issue, there's a chance that this doesn't happen. Any ideas?

The car is a 2017 Abarth (9k miles) with no suspension or brake modifications (yet).

I had a similar problem and the solution was rather simple. I came across this info on a Mazda forum. My car was still under warranty and showed the tech this info. Ten minutes later, problem solved. Easy to do at home if you have a lift.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts