Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been looking to buy a used Abarth 124 in my area for a very long time and one finally come up for sale. However I noticed that the seats don't look like any seats I've seen in another Abarth. All the Abarth seats I've seen so far have had the horizontal stitching through them, even the Recaro ones. However in this picture it just has the one vertical stitching through the middle. It almost looks like a leather version of the Classica trim's cloth seats. Is this normal/stock or is there something I should be worried about here? (I'm specifically looking for a fully stock car).

4f45f91b-505a8.jpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, those are not stock seat covers. Judging from the wrinkled material in the bottom, I'd be skeptical of the quality. Plus, what they did to that poor Sahara...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, those are not stock seat covers. Judging from the wrinkled material in the bottom, I'd be skeptical of the quality. Plus, what they did to that poor Sahara...
Thanks Kain. Such a shame because the car looks so perfect except for these seats. I just found it strange because they had the Bose logo on the headrest and also looks like the speaker holes, but the stitching made it look fishy. Was hoping it was just some optional seats you can get, but I guess the wait continues...

·
Banned
2,881 Posts
Thanks Kain. Such a shame because the car looks so perfect except for these seats. I just found it strange because they had the Bose logo on the headrest and also looks like the speaker holes, but the stitching made it look fishy. Was hoping it was just some optional seats you can get, but I guess the wait continues...
It’s just a cover bro

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Banned
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I'm guessing its a slip on cover too now that you pointed it out. Will definitely make sure to remove them to check the seats beforehand.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Those look like Katzkin seat covers. They are usually of very high quality but it looks like they were poorly installed.
Or the seat cushion padding is worn out from a very heavy driver...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Those look like Katzkin seat covers. They are usually of very high quality but it looks like they were poorly installed.
Or the seat cushion padding is worn out from a very heavy driver...
I too would bet on Katskins. As noted, either poorly installed or seat underneath are problematic. Check before you buy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weird, person was specifically advertising having the abarth racing heritage stripe. But I'm pretty sure the highlighted part in the picture, that little bar between the trunk and the roof, isn't supposed to be painted in the heritage stripe.

Inked17d33de6-73a6-46dc-ac56-32934dbc2b88_LI.jpg

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Absolutely horrendous seat covers in a really grim colour of red!

And no, that is not meant to be painted. Probably third party effort and they didnt look at a factory example before doing it.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Weird, person was specifically advertising having the abarth racing heritage stripe. But I'm pretty sure the highlighted part in the picture, that little bar between the trunk and the roof, isn't supposed to be painted in the heritage stripe.
When I do a search (I don't have the heritage stripes), it appears most don't have that strip next to the roof painted black (see first image), and yet, I see several images of this car that does (see second image). I know they don't land on our shores with the stripes on, so I'm wondering if perhaps two different outfits do it differently? Strnage...

·
Registered
308 Posts
It appears that the original 124 Rally had the trunk lid painted black but not the tulip panel. Given that the black was to cut down glare I can't think why as I'm not sure you'd spend a lot of time looking behind in a rally. I sorta think it looks better painted anyway.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
815 Posts
Have you seen the vehicle in person, or are these simply photos that have been provided to you? I almost wonder if the heritage stripe is a wrap? But you are correct that the strip next to the roof would not be painted in stock form, which means either the entire heritage stripe was added later, or for some reason they later painted or wrapped the strip.

And as noted, the seat is obviously not a stock cover. Either a seat cover or poor re-upholstery job. The red color is definitely off as well.

All that aside, if the car is otherwise in fine shape I don't think any of that should be a deal killer. The stripe doesn't bother me and the seats seem easy enough to deal with so long as it's just a bad cover and not a seat issue.

Reactions: Kturley

·
Registered
615 Posts
When I do a search (I don't have the heritage stripes), it appears most don't have that strip next to the roof painted black (see first image), and yet, I see several images of this car that does (see second image). I know they don't land on our shores with the stripes on, so I'm wondering if perhaps two different outfits do it differently? Strnage...
View attachment 77246 View attachment 77247
I recall seeing somewhere that the tulip panel was painted black on European Heritage Abarth and not in NA. But it doesn't resolve this mystery!

Reactions: CDPond

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I recall seeing somewhere that the tulip panel was painted black on European Heritage Abarth and not in NA. But it doesn't resolve this mystery!
Especially since the photo of one I found with it painted had NY plates on it. Baffling. And even though I'm personally not a big fan of the heritage stripe (somewhat pointless when my car is black to begin with, as it wouldn't provide any visual contrast), if I were to have one, I knid of like the looks of it being done all the way to the roofline. But it's all subjective. What I like makes zero difference in the big picture, it's what the potential buyer of the car likes is what's important. IMHO, the seats I'd be concerned about.... the stripe, not so much.

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys! For me the thing is, if I'm going to get a heritage stripe (and I was willing to pay a bit more for it), then I want to know it was an original stripe, not some after-market add-on. Not that I would mind an after-market wrap or something, but I just wouldn't be willing to pay more for it.

And as for the seats. So I contacted the seller. He told me that these are not just seat covers, but in fact the seats have been replaced with the seats seen in the picture. I asked the seller if he has the original seats still and they said they will check and get back to me. I don't personally like the look of these seats (though that's subjective). And I wouldn't really buy a car without the original seats, as I want a fully stock car. I suppose I will keep you guys updated! But if I'm being honest, it's looking bit by bit that this particular car just might not be the one... I guess patience is key when looking for a car as "rare" as this is around here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts