Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my fs about 2 weeks- I have noticed that SOMETIMES when I start the car, for a few minutes there is a strange (pretty nasty) smell the comes through the vents. At first I thought it smelled like manure and assumed it was due to the previous owner living on a farm. My husband thinks it smells more like a dead animal, which probably makes more sense as it's been a couple of weeks since the car left "the farm". I'm now wondering if a mouse or something crawled up into the motor and didn't make it out.... Does anyone have any similar experience and how do I find out and/or get rid of the nasty smell? Fortunately (and oddly) it only smells funky for a few minutes, and it only happens sometimes- I'm trying to narrow down when it happens and so far it seems to happen when it is hot outside or when I restart the engine while it is still warm from a previous drive. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
393 Posts
I had a similar experience and it ended up being a rat (still very much alive) that had decided to make a nest beneath the windshield cowl in the area that houses the AC blower motor. There is no screen or barrier to this location; I believe a few others have experienced this.

To check this you can pull up the cowl on the passenger side enough to see down in. Cleaning pretty much requires that you remove the windshield wipers and cowl completely - not too difficult if you have a socket set. I cleaned mine and the smell went away after a few days. Some members have added some metal screen material to keep rodents out.

Check out this thread:mice, keeping them away from my stored car

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

The area you want to check is the black plastic opening on the passenger side near the set of sockets in the picture.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth, MT
99 Posts
I experienced the "manure" smell on a test drive in an X 1/9 I bought several years ago. The car had been stored in a barn for several years, and the floor mats were a little muddy. Since it really smelled like manure and not mice, and there were no visual signs of mice in the car, I assumed it was farm mud that had been tracked in.

Turned out it was, in fact, mouse infestation behind the dash.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,320 Posts
My Spider stinks of exhaust fumes when I turn on the AC.

As bad as that is, I will take that over a dead rat...

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
93 Posts
I've had my fs about 2 weeks- I have noticed that SOMETIMES when I start the car, for a few minutes there is a strange (pretty nasty) smell the comes through the vents. At first I thought it smelled like manure and assumed it was due to the previous owner living on a farm. My husband thinks it smells more like a dead animal, which probably makes more sense as it's been a couple of weeks since the car left "the farm". I'm now wondering if a mouse or something crawled up into the motor and didn't make it out.... Does anyone have any similar experience and how do I find out and/or get rid of the nasty smell? Fortunately (and oddly) it only smells funky for a few minutes, and it only happens sometimes- I'm trying to narrow down when it happens and so far it seems to happen when it is hot outside or when I restart the engine while it is still warm from a previous drive. Any suggestions?
Here is a good writ up from a couple years back when rodent issues came up:

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
93 Posts
This is a long explanation of my encounter:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your insightful responses. Though I don't relish the idea of what this means as far as clearing out the problem- It is good to know that my instinct is probably accurate. I am so grateful for this forum- what would I do without y'all?!:love:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Reactions: Chipshot
1 - 8 of 8 Posts