Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know, I have purchased a lot of content from MOPAR Tech Authority over the past few years. I acquried hard copy training manuals, as well as the USB card versions of the 2017 Service and Wriing Manuals (Lusso and Classica), and the 2019 Service Manual (Abarth). Long story, but brief version is that I own a 2017 Abarth and they didn't produce Abarth versions of the manuals until the 2019 MY.

So a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the 2019 version of the Wriing Manual for the Abarth. It arived today. That's where the good news ends.

First, it now includes a lovely little application called "unlock_manual.exe", which means that if you copy the manual onto your laptop for ease of access, you now also need to have the USB version plugged in at the same time to open it. Okay, I get it that they're trying to protect their content from being redistributed.

BUT, that's not the end of the issues. Now, when you open it, it takes your browser in offline mode, so you can't research anything on the machine at the same time as you're reviewing the manual. You can't take screenshots. You can't print. Which sucks, because when I work in the garage, I prefer to print out the pages I need and take them with me. That way I'm not having to worry about balancing my tablet or laptop somewhere on or in the car while I'm performing work. And, if I run into a snag, I don't want to have to close the browser session on the manual so I can get an active Internet access browser session to look up information. Oh, and the last bit of great news.... only the electrical schematics display. When you click on the "connections" tab where we would normally see all the important details regarding where things are and how they're connected and accessed.... nothing. The content is completely missing.

Maybe the rest of you feel different, but for me, this is a game changer in a very big way. And by that, I mean, not in a good way. Given that they have a 25% of purchase cost restocking fee, I feel I can't in all fairness recommend anyone purchase content from them anymore. From what research I've done, I've discovered they're now managed and hosted by another company. Although I have no evidence to prove it, my suspician is that all the manuals that are provided for any Steallantis vehicles are now buggered up in this manner.

You've been warned. And for grounding, here's a photo that shows the 2017 and 2019 versions of the manal side by side. You can clearly see the huge amount of missing content.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
441 Posts
Unfortunately, just another example of how manufacturers want to keep people from repairing their own cars without them getting a piece of it. Many manufacturers are pushing the idea that the consumer doesn't actually 'own' the car due to the 'intellectual property' embedded in the car and owned by the company. Google the 'right to repair' movement. One of the issues they are fighting is manufactures declaring their repair manual 'proprietary'

I would be tempted to offer the USB to a hacker and let them publish it. But that's just me. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got in under the wire with my 4C and 124 Service manuals, but the Service and Wiring manuals I ordered for my 2018 Jeep GC EcoDiesel has the same crap TrusCont copy protection that almost makes the manuals useless. What I have found is that if I open the Unlock_Manual.exe, close out the garbage page it displays in Chrome, and use open with Internet Explorer in Windows 10 for common/html/default.htm I can still use any other browser on the internet. Not great but it is what we have at this point.....I complained to Mopar Tech Authority and I guess they don't get why we would want to copy the USB manuals to a server to use on a PC in the garage or to a laptop where the USB card is not ideal [email protected]#$

·
Registered
98 Posts
A month ago I found some electrical wiring diagrams for the Mazda Miata ND.
The problem was the app Mazda was using ran on Adobe Flash Player. And Adobe Flash now no longer exists, it’s literally been deleted from existence, so the app doesn’t work too well.
I had to find an Adobe Flash emulator and open up each of the wiring diagrams in turn until I found the one I wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
"CDPond" brings the future to the present, confirmed by The "TX_Bandit" and the resulting effect explained by "Pikeman", so...The question therefore is , "What CAN WE as a group do about it" ? copyrights and legal issues aside..we share data here and assist each other wherever and whenever we can. I am an "Oily Rag" ...Yes, I know some will agree with that but what I mean is, I print off stuff, go out to the garage and get stuck in usually resulting in the printed matter being covered in oil and grease and no use to anybody afterwards. So, now having any 124 Spider wiring diagrams myself....I would like to share with you what bits I have got...and maybe, Ameridan of 21stCenturySpider fame and Value 124Spider.org Member will see along the way any interesting and relevant wiring information he has not already accumulated and printed up for our perusal, should you also wish to add ato it along the way, as we have always done in the past. Mopar can keep their technical libraries intact as well as their extreme pricing structure for parts....Cheers
ron
I have only just add a "Very Full" list (with diagrams) in a New Thread about Fuses so here is a mixed scan of two pages to show harnesses and connections, it's not a wiring diagram as I do not have any however you can print off / download as you see fit (unless and until the site owners here have been got at by Mopar....then we will not be sharing much I fear and for a Technically sharing based website..That could be very harmful indeed.

Scan_20210223.png

·
Premium Member
2017 Abarth
164 Posts
You can't print.
I can print the diagrams, to a printer on my local wireless network (not saying hardwired wouldn't work, I just haven't tried that). I'm using Chrome on Windows. And as @wrh3 has noted as a workaround you can use another browser (Edge, Firefox, ???) for web browsing.

Agreed, though, generally this copy protection makes these significantly worse than the initial releases of the manuals, and thanks for pointing out the missing content about the connectors.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As many of you know, I have purchased a lot of content from MOPAR Tech Authority over the past few years. I acquried hard copy training manuals, as well as the USB card versions of the 2017 Service and Wriing Manuals (Lusso and Classica), and the 2019 Service Manual (Abarth). Long story, but brief version is that I own a 2017 Abarth and they didn't produce Abarth versions of the manuals until the 2019 MY.

So a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the 2019 version of the Wriing Manual for the Abarth. It arived today. That's where the good news ends.
My 2017 Wiring manual appears to have all Lusso and Abarth wiring options, so it was probably wasted money buying a "2019" version. Thanks to "Windows Update Blocker", my 2018 Service manual , which requires Flash and IE, is still working for me, and also seems to cover all models, 2017-2020.

We all thank you for the heads-up though, Cal. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
A month ago I found some electrical wiring diagrams for the Mazda Miata ND.
The problem was the app Mazda was using ran on Adobe Flash Player. And Adobe Flash now no longer exists, it’s literally been deleted from existence, so the app doesn’t work too well.
I had to find an Adobe Flash emulator and open up each of the wiring diagrams in turn until I found the one I wanted.
I think this is where I downloaded the wiring diagrams from. It extracts from a ZIP and theres a lot of files.

It unzips a folder MAZD_16ND_MAN_11

I then went onto Goggle to get an Adobe Flash emulator and found the website Ruffle Web Demo

On this emulator, I then clicked on Choose File

Then navigated through all the folders where I saved the unzipped folder. In this sequence...

MAZD_16ND_MAN_11

root

libary

MAZDAESI

Service Manuals

en_us

MX5

html

Then I had to view each diagram individually in the Ruffle emulator, in turn, until I found the diagram I wanted.

Luckily it looks like electrical systems are grouped together in number order. For example, every diagram starting in 0918 is lighting. Then 0918_2 is headlights. With two diagrams 0918_2a and 0918_2b.

While 0918_3 is the rear lights.

While 0918_5 is turn and hazard lights. etc etc

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2017 Wiring manual appears to have all Lusso and Abarth wiring options, so it was probably wasted money buying a "2019" version. Thanks to "Windows Update Blocker", my 2018 Service manual , which requires Flash and IE, is still working for me, and also seems to cover all models, 2017-2020.

We all thank you for the heads-up though, Cal. :)
In my case, it's because there was no Abarth versions of the manuals till the 2019 editions, and there are differences in both the service and electrical between the Lusso/Classica and Abarth variants. My mistake was waiting too long to purchase the 2019 version of the wiring manual. If I'd obtained it before the changover in management of the service, I would have avoided this mess. Still a problem for any new purchasers though.

I send my beyatching and whining email to [email protected], along with the photo I attached to my post at the top of this thread. They replied to say they've passed it on to their techincal people and they'll provide me with a solution in a couple of days time. I'm not holding my breath on that.

But in my eyes (and yes, I'm biased), I believe they're being decetiful in that nowhere that I can see on their site to they mention that the content is now stripped of functionality compared to what was previously sold. If they had honestly described the reduced functionality, I likely would have passed on the purchase. But not being able to see the connections data makes it a deal killer if they can't provide a fix for that. And yes, I'm not happy about the idea of having to take my $2000 windows tablet out to garage and have it sitting in the engine bay or under the car while I'm working on something. It's just so wrong for so many reason.

End of rant, but I'll keep everyone updated as to what I hear back from them and if there is a "fix" that makes the USB card useful.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think this is where I downloaded the wiring diagrams from. It extracts from a ZIP and theres a lot of files.
It unzips a folder MAZD_16ND_MAN_11
I then went onto Goggle to get an Adobe Flash emulator and found the website Ruffle Web Demo
On this emulator, I then clicked on Choose File
Then navigated through all the folders where I saved the unzipped folder. In this sequence...
MAZD_16ND_MAN_11
root
libary
MAZDAESI
Service Manuals
en_us
MX5
html
Then I had to view each diagram individually in the Ruffle emulator, in turn, until I found the diagram I wanted.
Luckily it looks like electrical systems are grouped together in number order. For example, every diagram starting in 0918 is lighting. Then 0918_2 is headlights. With two diagrams 0918_2a and 0918_2b.
While 0918_3 is the rear lights.
While 0918_5 is turn and hazard lights. etc etc
Thank you for that. But, I'm seeing the schematics (the drawings like you provided examples for). What is missing is all the "connector details" information that you'll see an example of in the left image in my attached photo below. That's where I find more of what I need when I'm working on the vehicle, and it equates to probably over 95% of the content of the manual. So I can see maybe 5% now... the rest is hidden in some manner. Using the same example, you can see how there is a huge list of subassemblies (details) that appear in the red circled list on the 2017 view that don't appear in the 2019. And that's just what shows in that photo... that list for the Audio System 2 goes on much longer than what I could capture in that photo. I can view the overall schematic, just none of the detailed assemblies associated with it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
In my case, it's because there was no Abarth versions of the manuals till the 2019 editions, and there are differences in both the service and electrical between the Lusso/Classica and Abarth variants.
Cal, as an example - the sport switch and paddle shifters, which I believe are only on the Abarth - are both in the 2017 wiring manual: Transmission > automatic > switch - driving mode selection AND switch - paddle shift are both there. What Abarth stuff is missing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts