Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
I kinda like the whip antenna. It fits well with the rest of the car. The biggest problem I have with it is that dragon flies like to sit on top of it and crap on the car! (really)

Reactions: AJJ and Seagas

·
Registered
350 Posts
While the look of the stubby is nice, on this car I prefer the retro look of the OEM antenna, just my personal opinion. The problem with being an old foggy is we remember too much oh how things were, LOL

Oh the hay day of the sixties with roadsters and sports cars everywhere. MG, Triumph, Austin Healy, Morgans, Aston Martin, Lotus, Jaguar, AC, Sunbeam, Fiat, Alpha Romeo, Porsche and even Datsun's copy of the Healy. What a time :)

Reactions: melandat

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am undecided between which one I prefer. I have purchased a stubby, but I am not sure how long It will remain on the car... as far as the radio reception goes, my ipod handles the majority of the music demands for my driving

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My Spider is a modern take on a classic car. I wanted the modern take on the radio antenna vs. the classic whipper-snapper antenna. Replaced the factory antenna with the Stubby when I arrived home from taking delivery of my new Spider.

Steve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sooo...what about a motorized chrome retractable antenna? The only problem is, you can't turn the radio off...

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I love the Stubby!

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sooo...what about a motorized chrome retractable antenna? The only problem is, you can't turn the radio off...
Those were the days, aways got stuck down on me. Would love a modern black version ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I always preferred not having any visible antenna like that since it does take away from design a bit if the small details get to you. I think these days we can get stealth antennas.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
62 Posts
Almost poked my eye out drying my car with stock antenna, 3 days later Stubby installed. Safety first gotta see where I am going.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Almost poked my eye out drying my car with stock antenna, 3 days later Stubby installed. Safety first gotta see where I am going.
Same thing happened to me when i was bending down to try and take off interior trunk panels. Once my eye stopped watering I fired up the computer and ordered the stubby. Loving it ever since!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered a Stubby, but will probably keep both and swap them around. The whip can't stand up to the weight of the cover I have, and I'm afraid long term I'm going to compromise it somehow. I do want to see how the Stubby looks in person though, and decide later.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just installed my Stubby. It looks great on this car!

Reactions: TPG90004

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
62 Posts
You will like the Stubby.
If you have to use the OEM antennae you could make a hole for it to pass through and Stitch around to reinforce the cover. Had that on an old 66 Mustang then put a power antennae after restoration.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, it was the cover that got me to get the stubby. The cover is too tight a fit for the whip. It came with sticky grommets for punching an antenna hole, but just putting a Stubby on there is so much less hassle. I like the look of the OEM antenna, but Stubby looks fine, too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, it was the cover that got me to get the stubby. The cover is too tight a fit for the whip. It came with sticky grommets for punching an antenna hole, but just putting a Stubby on there is so much less hassle. I like the look of the OEM antenna, but Stubby looks fine, too.
For those of you that listen to the radio and do not live in an urban area you will probably be better off with the stock one due to reception issues (as in my case). And it only takes a few seconds to unscrew it and lie it at the bottom of your soft top when using a cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts