Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to seem snarky, but who hasn’t felt bad for some decent car that has been the victim of idiocy? Granted this is an ethnocentric viewpoint, but some limits need to be respected. Out on the FB subgroup their is some guy with a 124 that is slammed, and features negative camber to the max, so the stretched tires sort of fit, and the car can be steered, more or less.
Well today I was stopped at a light with a mid90’s Maxima in front. That was a decent car in it’s day and the sled that carries the name now is a joke.
Yet someone screwed on this ugly spoiler which is all warped by the heat, and now is actually the aerodynamic equal of a sea anchor. So sad! Somebody lost control of their inner middle-schooler.

Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gotta respect builds. I've seen the stanced 124 and I think it looks nice. Just add it to the list of things a 124 can do. I've seen a rally 124, a stanced 124, a track focused 124, clean street build 124s and so on. Its a tuner car thats built off a miata. The only thing that cringes me is when people upbadge these cars and slap a ferrari crest on the fender or say how they drive an Italian car. Its built in Japan. All that's left is a LS powered 124 and a dragster 124.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Maybe the driver was using it for a luggage rack? :) But yeah, sad... sometimes you just feel sorry for the car. Whre's the love?

·
Registered
579 Posts
The only thing that cringes me is when people upbadge these cars and slap a ferrari crest on the fender or say how they drive an Italian car. Its built in Japan.
Oh, well we are all guilty of driving upbadged cars in that case, the 124 Spider!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Gotta respect builds. I've seen the stanced 124 and I think it looks nice. Just add it to the list of things a 124 can do. I've seen a rally 124, a stanced 124, a track focused 124, clean street build 124s and so on. Its a tuner car thats built off a miata. The only thing that cringes me is when people upbadge these cars and slap a ferrari crest on the fender or say how they drive an Italian car. Its built in Japan. All that's left is a LS powered 124 and a dragster 124.
Aaaaah a really interesting topic you've opened up... When is a German car not a German car... When it's a BMW X5 made in the USA at Spartanburg. Or an Audi Q5 made in Mexico. Or a MB A Class made in Hungary.... So is a Honda Civic made in Swindon a Japanese Car made in Britain.... I think of my A124 as an Italian Brand Car 75% made in Japan, 25% made in Italy. Now to the up badging... Every Abarth Badge, quite a popular item here, has a lovely Italian Flag in its design... Modern world, stuff gets made everywhere.... And an awful lot of OE components now come from China! If you want to stick stuff on your car, it's your car... If you like it then that's cool with me. I personally Hate the chromed Alloys that the US market had on MBs etc, but if you don't like it don't do it. That spoiler has probably also given many years of additional pleasure as a picnic table, bookshelf etc....!
Enjoy your Mods!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Aaaaah a really interesting topic you've opened up... When is a German car not a German car... When it's a BMW X5 made in the USA at Spartanburg. Or an Audi Q5 made in Mexico. Or a MB A Class made in Hungary.... So is a Honda Civic made in Swindon a Japanese Car made in Britain.... I think of my A124 as an Italian Brand Car 75% made in Japan, 25% made in Italy. Now to the up badging... Every Abarth Badge, quite a popular item here, has a lovely Italian Flag in its design... Modern world, stuff gets made everywhere.... And an awful lot of OE components now come from China! If you want to stick stuff on your car, it's your car... If you like it then that's cool with me. I personally Hate the chromed Alloys that the US market had on MBs etc, but if you don't like it don't do it. That spoiler has probably also given many years of additional pleasure as a picnic table, bookshelf etc....!
Enjoy your Mods!!!
Just spotted another Fiat in the picture, sorry Jeep.... Jeep Renegade in Europe being built on the 500X platform in Italy..... I did once nearly get a punch off my CEO when I pointed out his British Bentley Continental GT started life as a stretched VW Passat known as a VW Phaeton.... He knew nothing of this, but just loved his new Conti. Only other American Car I can think of being built in Europe, by Saab, when owned by GM..... A rather poorly received Cadillac... Great topic to discuss .. Fiat and Abarth.... Definitely Italian Car Brands.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I wonder whether the owner has been ticketed for an obstructed rear view.

The worst thing to do to a car, in my opinion, is not drive it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Just spotted another Fiat in the picture, sorry Jeep.... Jeep Renegade in Europe being built on the 500X platform in Italy..... I did once nearly get a punch off my CEO when I pointed out his British Bentley Continental GT started life as a stretched VW Passat known as a VW Phaeton.... He knew nothing of this, but just loved his new Conti. Only other American Car I can think of being built in Europe, by Saab, when owned by GM..... A rather poorly received Cadillac... Great topic to discuss .. Fiat and Abarth.... Definitely Italian Car Brands.
I think the Jeep you spotted (dark red, right of center?) is a Wrangler. Renegade is only available with four doors.

Good to see local flavor being maintained in a global market.

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
353 Posts
Well, at least for now Teslas are made down the road from us in Fremont, CA in the former GM plant, which in the 90's was the old Geo (Toyota and GM joint venture) plant. At least some of the batteries are manufactured in a new plant in Reno, NV and are stored in the largest warehouse I've ever seen in Livermore, CA.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Well, at least for now Teslas are made down the road from us in Fremont, CA in the former GM plant, which in the 90's was the old Geo (Toyota and GM joint venture) plant. At least some of the batteries are manufactured in a new plant in Reno, NV and are stored in the largest warehouse I've ever seen in Livermore, CA.
AKA NUMMI. I imagine Elon ditched the UAW. And I hope that Tesla battery plant and warehouse have sophisticated fire suppression systems.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I wonder whether the owner has been ticketed for an obstructed rear view.

The worst thing to do to a car, in my opinion, is not drive it.
Shouldn't be obstructed, as it's drooped enough to provide a clear view out the back window. :)

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Shouldn't be obstructed, as it's drooped enough to provide a clear view out the back window. :)
Most of it, I guess. It's also blocking the CHMSL (though that car may be old enough not to have one).
I think a runaway lithium battery fire.... in a storage facilty for them, is second only to a nuclear meltdown in terms of danger. Here's a couple of interesting reads regarding battery fires and preparedness of fire departments and first responders to deal with them.
In Case of Electric-Car Fire, Half of Fire Departments Are Unprepared
Plug-in electric vehicle fire incidents - Wikipedia
Take a lesson from Beirut?

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
353 Posts
AKA NUMMI. I imagine Elon ditched the UAW. And I hope that Tesla battery plant and warehouse have sophisticated fire suppression systems.
OMG...you're right! It was NUMMI! New United Motor Inc. or something like that. Geez, I can't believe my brain tripped over that.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
330 Posts
Yep, everything is built globally now. My last Ducati was assembled in Thailand. It was still an Italian motorcycle just as my Honda Goldwing GL1800 built in Marysville, Ohio was still a Japanese motorcycle.

Reactions: SpagWagonsScot

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the Jeep you spotted (dark red, right of center?) is a Wrangler. Renegade is only available with four doors.

Good to see local flavor being maintained in a global market.
Hi Chipshot.... Thanks but I knew that was a Wrangler...." American Jeeps" in the UK.... The most popular seems to be the Italian built Renegade.... But I still think of it as an American Brand. Seems to have opened up a topic of what is built where. Let the discussion continue... It's a broad topic, about to get broader with the FCA merger coming soon!

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Hi Chipshot.... Thanks but I knew that was a Wrangler...." American Jeeps" in the UK.... The most popular seems to be the Italian built Renegade.... But I still think of it as an American Brand. Seems to have opened up a topic of what is built where. Let the discussion continue... It's a broad topic, about to get broader with the FCA merger coming soon!
I think the global vehicle manufacturing reality is that there is no firm country of origin of a product anymore. My 2013 Abarth 500 was built in a Chrysler plant in Mexico. Our cars are built in Japan. Mini Coopers are now a BMW product built either in the UK or the Netherlands, depending upon the model. My Kia Telluride is a Korean SUV built in the US, but not available in Korea. Probably only niche products like Tesla and exotics have a single point of origin. If it's a major manufacturer, the vehicles will be produced all over the globe and assembled from components sourced from equivalently scattered locations. I guess this is the reality of a global marketplace and supply chain in action.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts