Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When we last peeked in the trunk of this little Spider I had just added a sub-woofer.

I liked the Rockville subwoofer at first but quickly realized it lacked real deep bass and wasn't "musical', it just added thumps.
So I decided to replace the all in one slimline powered subwoofer with better speakers and a larger amp.
I had a Dual Electronics BP1204 subwoofer with dual 12s that I had purchased a few years back but never used.

I decided to cannibalize it for parts. The speakers handle 600 watts RMS and have nice beefy 2 1/2 inch voice coils .
The speakers were originally in a ported box but I decided to build a sealed enclosure using the recess in the trunk as the box, lining it with several layers of sound deadening mat.

The top of the box is 1 inch thick oak plywood (had it left over from a shelving project) that is attached to the trunk floor with silicon so it is all removable should the need arise.
I sat two 50 lb bags of sand on top of the panel while the silicon sealant dried. Then ran a bead around the edges just to be sure it was air tight.
I used a 1/2 inch thick piece of plywood to make the panel wall at the rear of the trunk. I also filled the enclosure with a couple of bags of acoustic poly-fill for damping.

While I was upgrading the subs I added a Rockville 800w RMS 4 Channel CEA Compliant Car Amplifier to drive the Rockville RXM68PRO mid-range speakers in the doors and the JBL tweeters in the windshield columns.
The 450 watt RMS rated ( 2500 watt peak) mono subwoofer amplifier is on the back side of the panel supporting the 4 channel amp.
I still have a couple wires to run and some trunk panels to replace but I think its coming along nicely.
I'm also thinking of going over all the trunk pieces with automotive spary fabric dye to get the colors all the same shade.

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
Very cool. What about speakers in the cabin? I didn’t get Bose so in the future might upgrade.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Very cool. What about speakers in the cabin? I didn’t get Bose so in the future might upgrade.
I don't have the Bose system either.
I upgraded the door speakers to Rockville RXM68PRO mid-range speakers

I did have to make a custom speaker ring to fit these as the magnets are HUGE, but that makes them so efficient - 103 db sensitivity

I replaced the factory tweeters with JBL CLUB750T 3/4" 270W Edge Driven Dome Tweeter and molded them into the windshield columns.

Finally, I used a PAC AOEM-MAZ2 Interface to tap into the factory audio system and add the amps.

Final note: Don't know what your experience level with auto sound is, but if you are looking for great step by step instructions, check out
XtremeRevolution's very detailed installation guide for amps and speakers here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts