Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone touched on this in another thread recently. I don't know about you, but I cannot afford more sunburn in my life. Honestly, this was a big issue for me in deciding if I want to become the owner of a convertible automobile. I need the proper clothing to protect from the destructive forces of ultraviolet radiation upon my tender epidermis and dermis (skin) as I'm roaming the countryside top down. Forget tee-shirts, long sleeve dress shirts, or other casual clothing, they do really nothing for UV protection. And I hate smearing sunscreen on myself, what a mess! And cloudy days do not protect you from UV rays. UV protective clothing is my choice. More info- http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/clothing

I'll show what I'm going to do from at least above the belt line. In the attached photos, I've placed my new "convertible driving hat" upon an old, curmudgeonly, sourpuss wax figure that's been stored in a dark, musty corner of my basement for years- the sunglasses helped mellow his look some, I think. The hat was purchased at my local Cabela's store. It is the Outback Trading Company "Flinders Reef Hat."
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outback-Trading-Mens-Flinders-Reef-Hat/1617402.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=outback+trading+14904
The hat is still available from Cabela's, and maybe others, but it is not shown at the Outback Trading Company website. Maybe it is discontinued, maybe it is made specifically for this vendor...? Anyway, I bought it in a slightly loose size (full contact, but not snug) so it could sink right down nicely on my head to help from being blown off. The adjustable draw cord will help with that as well. Cotton oilskin to resist water, nice side vent holes for cooling, and it comes in two colors. The brim is the best part, I can form it a little bit, such as the rear side, so it drapes down over my neck blocking the sun and still easily clears the seat back and seat headrest in the car; I took it to the dealer to find out. And the brim ranges from just under 3" on the front and sides to 3.5 inches in the rear. Nice! Outback Trading also makes a few similar hats with stiffer brims that even have a bendable wire in the outer edge of the brim, allowing you to really shape the brim and hold it in place. http://www.outbacktrading.com/products-search?qs=hat I use their "Eagles Pass" hat for general purpose poor weather wearing when I'm working outside, it has the stiffer, wired brim.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Oilcloth-Eagle-Pass-Hat/1226954.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=eagles+pass+hat
I'll try it in the Spider as well once the car arrives, but this hat has a somewhat taller crown section, so I'm not sure how it will respond to wind with the top down. The brim is similarly sized to the Flinders Reef, 3" all the way around. Both hats have broad, flat brims vs. upturned brims on cowboy-style hats. These are more akin to Aussie-style hats (as we know them in the USA, probably called "hats" in Australia). They have other wide brim hats that also have mesh for more cooling, if you have hair to protect you from the sun! (I don't.) Look for hats that give as close to a 3" brim as possible to shade your head and neck.

Tilley could be another hat source, but they don't have many with 3" brims, and many are a bit more flappy (made crushable for suitcase packing) than I would want to wear in a convertible. I've got a Tilley that I love, but the brim is narrower than I want for driving.

For shirts, I've got a couple long sleeve, button-up, collared (3-height position collar, a few of their shirts do this) shirts from Exofficio. They make a lot of UPF clothing (ultraviolet protection factor, how UV protection is measure in clothing), pants, shirts, etc. Lots of good UV protection info right at this page of theirs- https://exofficio.com/exofficio-technologies/technology-sun-protection.html
UPF clothing is not necessarily cheap in price, but in the long run it is cheaper than buying bottles of sunscreen, or paying for medical care for skin cancer. Search the interwebs, you'll likely find other UPF rated clothing out there as well. I'd guess outdoor recreation stores should have stuff, too, maybe REI, Cabela's, etc. Look for high UPF numbers, as close to 50 as possible. And now is the time of year to start shopping for this stuff.

I might have to think about gloves, too. Golf or baseball batting gloves may work- thin and flexible, relatively cool..

Well, be ultraviolet safe this summer. I've experienced, and seen firsthand, the real damage UV can cause a person, beyond a few days of stinging sunburn. Healing from 2nd degree burns from sun exposure is NOT a way you want to spend a couple weeks of your life. I've done it, I know.:mad:

Steve.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Very legit concerns...If you don't like sunscreen, get a spray, or the UPF shirts are great, but then you're stuck in long sleeve shirts all summer. With that said, that's what Mr. Prosecco likes (he can stand the sprays as well). I spent most of the time in our old Mustang convertible wearing a baseball hat. I found a cool FIAT one a couple of weeks ago...will look for an Abarth one soon too. It's a fine choice between wind-blown hair and hat head.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My dealer has two nice looking Abarth caps, light and dark color. I this month I will be passing by and get one. $15. Can maybe my sales man will apply an employee discount. LOL

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a little cloth flat cap that I stash in the glove box that I wear when the top is down. I didn't want it too big lest the wind catch it and blow it away. It's just enough visor to help me see and keeps the sun off the top of my head. Photo is not me, obviously.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well just putting a hat and sunglasses on, which is sound advice,that isn't going to protect all that unprotected skin, so the only safe way is sunscreen I'm afraid, one with the highest uva/uvb number.This was told to me by a nurse at the skin cancer clinic

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is no joke!

I was on a 5 hour road rally last weekend with the top down in some great weather.

I wore a hat in the office all week because the peeling was so unsightly. Bought some SPF 70 to keep in the glove box, that was my one burn for the year!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've also considered this in quite a great deal. Living in Australia, where the skin cancer rates are one of the highest in the world, we "slip slop slap" as part of our summer routine, but I'll be doing it even more throughout the year once the car arrives.

A hat is always good, but we know that sunscreen is probably the most effective barrier against UVA and UVB rays.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have not yet received the results from my 23andMe submittal, but I suspect I have some anti-skin cancer genes. I was a lifeguard when I was in my teens and 20's. I spent 6 straight summers in the sun before sunscreen was invented. Just past 70 years and have not had any sign of cancer. I play golf a couple of times a week and don't burn.

The problem I have is wind burn, and of course, thinning hair. Any hat that covers the top of my head is good. For fly fishing, I bought a very light and airy hat that is supposed to have excellent UV protection. I don't wear it while driving, but it may be what you sensitive guys want.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
On a separate, but related note, what does "insured against loss" entail on the Tilley cap?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts