Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed System One this afternoon, and while overall it was pretty straight forward, I am a bit concerned about the amount of clearance between the top of the resonator and the drive shaft - it’s less than a finger width.

whilst it seems pretty solidly mounted, it does seem posssible a large road Impact could cause them to make contact and I know someone else had this issue. How much clearance have those of you who have installed it seen and have you been able to adjust it to create more clearance?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
It can get quite close, and one person has reported it hitting the driveshaft. One of the flanges on the resonator is not square, so rotating it can alter the orientation of the midpipe and how close it gets to the driveshaft. Note that this can also move the tips around downstream. With some trial and error, I was able to get a perfect fit with the resonator far enough from the midpipe that it has not been an issue for me.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
20 Posts
When I initially installed mine, it had no issues. When I tried out the straight pipe for the first time, then reinstalled the resonator, it did come into contact with the drive shaft. I ended up putting the straight pipe back on for the time being since I didn't have time to make proper adjustments. I'm sure I could get it back on without issue if I tried again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It can get quite close, and one person has reported it hitting the driveshaft. One of the flanges on the resonator is not square, so rotating it can alter the orientation of the midpipe and how close it gets to the driveshaft. Note that this can also move the tips around downstream. With some trial and error, I was able to get a perfect fit with the resonator far enough from the midpipe that it has not been an issue for me.
I hear a rattle when I shut the car off, so I suspect I need to shift things around as well. Thank you for the reminder.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Unless you have a downpipe, you should really use straight pipe, it’s not that loud at all :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Graeme, one more thing, just loosen the V-band clamps enough to allow the resonator to rotate, no need to take them off. Also, you will notice that just loosening them will cause the whole assembly to drop. So, loosen, rotate a bit, tighten, check, repeat if necessary.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had the one that was rubbing on the driveshaft, and just put the straight pipe on because I didn't want to mess with readjusting everything. Ended up liking the sound of the straight pipe, so I just left it lol.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Graeme, one more thing, just loosen the V-band clamps enough to allow the resonator to rotate, no need to take them off. Also, you will notice that just loosening them will cause the whole assembly to drop. So, loosen, rotate a bit, tighten, check, repeat if necessary.
That worked - thanks.

Just back from test drive. Resonator in, its a great compromise between more noise and being spouse / neighbor friendly. At cruise on the freeway there's very little difference innoise over stock. That's with the stock down pipe and cross pipe. I'm staying with the stock downpipe and I'll put the Roadstersport crosspipe on in a couple of weeks when I do the turbo. Didn't fancy dealing with those studs twice.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,442 Posts
I'll put the Roadstersport crosspipe on in a couple of weeks when I do the turbo. Didn't fancy dealing with those studs twice.
I saw a Spider Sport DP on Instagram yesterday that had a 100CEL Cat, but the real interesting part was the flange. It just had a normal lemon shaped flange and then a SS hanger strap welded to the lower part of the pipe, extended out and down, bent ear and a hole to put a single bolt into the block to hold it in place. No three piece clamp BS to deal with at all.

It might be able to vibrate more though, so that is something to consider. But wrapping the cross pipe with heat wrap will take up a lot of the space available to move around and insulate any metal to metal contact at the oil pan. May be something for the others to investigate looking to upgrade from Turbo back later down the line.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That worked - thanks.

Just back from test drive. Resonator in, its a great compromise between more noise and being spouse / neighbor friendly. At cruise on the freeway there's very little difference innoise over stock. That's with the stock down pipe and cross pipe. I'm staying with the stock downpipe and I'll put the Roadstersport crosspipe on in a couple of weeks when I do the turbo. Didn't fancy dealing with those studs twice.
What turbo you getting? EC tune?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What turbo you getting? EC tune?
EC turbo and tune. Already have it sitting in the garage. Hoping to get it installed weekend after next.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, shout out to @Good-Win Racing - ordered the exhaust Sunday night, had it by Thursday - and that was the free shipping option. That’s pretty good in my book.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put the straight pipe in this afternoon. Took about 20 mins to swap over. The sound is awesome - predictably loud on cold start, but once its warmed up it idles pretty quiet and steady throttle cruise is not bad either. Under acceleration and on the overrun, it sounds great. The noise level is roughly similar to the Auto Ricambi resonated axle back I had briefly if anyone's interested, and quieter than cars I've heard with the full Roadstersport system including the 200CEL downpipe.

The straight pipe definitely not going to pass muster with Mrs 68wooley, but with the resonator in, I doubt she'll notice. And that is pretty much the point of System One, right? Do I sound pleased?

·
124 Spider Vendor
923 Posts
Glad you like that.

Note to all on clearance to drive shaft. The V-band flanges are NOT square to the removeable resonator, one orientation will pull entire midpipe toward shaft, one will push it away. Thus, always inspect clearance to drive shaft on installation and rotate that resonator with V-band clamps loose until it pulls away from drive shaft, which it will in correct orientation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts