Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got under the car today and loosened the all the exhaust bolts including the cross-pipe bolts/studs. After several soakings with CRC Freeze-off CRC Freeze-Off super penetrant (autozone.com) and several ginger attempts with a touque wrench they came off with no issues. I reinstalled, now awaiting delivery of the GWR System One Exhaust.

Got under the car today and loosened the all the exhaust bolts including the cross-pipe bolts/studs. After several soakings with CRC Freeze-off CRC Freeze-Off super penetrant (autozone.com) and several ginger attempts with a touque wrench they came off with no issues. I reinstalled, now awaiting delivery of the GWR System One Exhaust.
My plan on my stock Lusso exhaust is to swap the Lusso mid-pipe with the Abarth's without resonator. This is the lowest cost option and I'll incrementally modify from there if I'm unsatisfied with the result.

May I ask what torque values are you looking for at each end of the mid-pipe? Thanx in advance for a reply.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My plan on my stock Lusso exhaust is to swap the Lusso mid-pipe with the Abarth's without resonator. This is the lowest cost option and I'll incrementally modify from there if I'm unsatisfied with the result.

May I ask what torque values are you looking for at each end of the mid-pipe? Thanx in advance for a reply.
I got the exhaust yesterday, have only pulled the cross pipe instructions out box and for torque specs it says something like "Torque to MFG Specs". When ready to so the install (Waiting till a warmer weekend) I'll reach out to GWR to see if they can provide specs for "Lubed" hardware as I plan to apply Anti Sieze. I also ordered via Amazon an assortment of Serrated Stainless Flange Nuts in case I decide to not use existing hardware.

I know alignment and clearances may take time, wondering if there is a recommended thighting sequence.

I have not unpacked everything/inspected yet, but looks well packaged with all the components is separate bags, with their own instructions in a sturdy box with convenient handle cutouts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got the exhaust yesterday, have only pulled the cross pipe instructions out box and for torque specs it says something like "Torque to MFG Specs". When ready to so the install (Waiting till a warmer weekend) I'll reach out to GWR to see if they can provide specs for "Lubed" hardware as I plan to apply Anti Sieze. I also ordered via Amazon an assortment of Serrated Stainless Flange Nuts in case I decide to not use existing hardware.

I have not unpacked everything/inspected yet, but looks well packaged with all the components is separate bags, with their own instructions in a sturdy box with convenient handle cutouts.
I'm excited for you. Waiting for improved BTUs also. Good luck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Goodwin got back to me and indicated 15-20 ft lbs dry, which is what Ill comply with. They apparently got that from the factory service manual.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
24 Posts
Would it be possible to post some exterior pics? I have a 2020 Mare Blue Lusso w/saddle interior and thinking of some cosmetic enhancements. The first that comes to mind is the Mopar white racing stripe but I'd love to see yours. Mare Blue seems to be a rare beast. Sweeney Fiat has 65 new Spiders and not 1 M-B.
Sure. Love sharing pics of this beautiful car

·
Registered
69 Posts
Beautiful car and surroundings. It's special to share a special car with a special co-pilot. I bet it goes like lightning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What part of the country are you guys from?

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
24 Posts
What part of the country are you guys from?
We're from Connecticut...

I couldn't possibly be happier with the car and all the mods. Everything is working in perfect harmony and it is a hoot to drive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We're from Connecticut...

I couldn't possibly be happier with the car and all the mods. Everything is working in perfect harmony and it is a hoot to drive.
What's your experience, opinion, on the catch can? That's one mod that some people point to that may be a waste. I would imagine it would depend on how spirited you push the beast.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
24 Posts
What's your experience, opinion, on the catch can? That's one mod that some people point to that may be a waste. I would imagine it would depend on how spirited you push the beast.
I rarely get more than a teaspoon out of it (check every oil change - 4000-5000miles), but it did keep oil from dripping out of the air filter.

Prior to installing the CC, I would always have a drop or two of oil on the bottom of the air filter cannister. It would drip down and make a mess in front of the ECU. The CC seems to eliminate that. I think the CC could use some baffles to help catch the oil, but I'm afraid to put anything in there that might break and get into the engine.

FWIW, I inverted(?) the air filter orientation from what was intended by EC so that the big end of the cone is towards the turbo...they show it the other way, but I thought that was a recipe for sucking in contaminants through the cannister. The cannister fits pretty tightly, but if oil can drip out, air can get in.

I hope that makes sense...If there's a darn good reason for it being the other way, I'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Brian: Thanks for the heads up. Got mine recently, have not installed it due to the weather. Unit was well packaged and I am looking forward to installing and posting before and after sound clips and install/driving observations. Thinking of getting EC Phase 1 tune updated post install.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth
56 Posts
Brian, I've been considering your System One exhaust with cross pipe. Do you recommend wrapping the cross pipe for heat management. Do you think the System One would accommodate the Curt Miata hitch some people have installed on their 124 Spiders?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Brian, I've been considering your System One exhaust with cross pipe. Do you recommend wrapping the cross pipe for heat management. Do you think the System One would accommodate the Curt Miata hitch some people have installed on their 124 Spiders?
I'd be interested in his response, but for now I plan on applying gold reflective DEI Heat tape/film in the immediate area where it passed close to engine/trans.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Recently had a customer create an install issue....because he wrapped the crosspipe. Shop tried again and again and could not get it right, not understanding customer wrapped it and thereby made it thicker before he handed it off to them. Item came back, installed normal in my own 124 after we stripped that off, then went back to customer and another shop got the install done right. Thus, really not a fan of folks wrapping the crosspipe, or any part of the exhaust system frankly. If your goal is to destroy the stainless material, and perhaps burn your car to the ground, then wrap it. The wrap holds moisture and also gathers petroleum emissions from under the hood like any oil leaking (meaning eventually you can have a fire). Result includes fast degradation of that gorgeous polished stainless surface and the welds. Wrapping headers is something that came from Drag Racing, but the Pro Drag Racers know it kills the header in exchange for another 1 or 2 hp scavenging benefit and they accept that it also means they get to rebuild the headers at the end of every race season. For all those reasons every header maker in the world VOID THE WARRANTY if you wrap it. Other than all that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?;)

On the hitch, have not tried it but we did leave a pretty big gap back there. Just make sure after hitch installed that exhaust cannot hit it, because that would beat on it like a hammer and eventually kill welds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Recently had a customer create an install issue....because he wrapped the crosspipe. Shop tried again and again and could not get it right, not understanding customer wrapped it and thereby made it thicker before he handed it off to them. Item came back, installed normal in my own 124 after we stripped that off, then went back to customer and another shop got the install done right. Thus, really not a fan of folks wrapping the crosspipe, or any part of the exhaust system frankly. If your goal is to destroy the stainless material, and perhaps burn your car to the ground, then wrap it. The wrap holds moisture and also gathers petroleum emissions from under the hood like any oil leaking (meaning eventually you can have a fire). Result includes fast degradation of that gorgeous polished stainless surface and the welds. Wrapping headers is something that came from Drag Racing, but the Pro Drag Racers know it kills the header in exchange for another 1 or 2 hp scavenging benefit and they accept that it also means they get to rebuild the headers at the end of every race season. For all those reasons every header maker in the world VOID THE WARRANTY if you wrap it.

On the hitch, have not tried it but we did leave a pretty big gap back there. Just make sure after hitch installed that exhaust cannot hit it, because that would beat on it like a hammer and eventually kill welds.

Thanks for the info. I was considering wrapping the cross pipe until today.
Just ordered my system one and cross pipe.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
24 Posts
Recently had a customer create an install issue....because he wrapped the crosspipe. Shop tried again and again and could not get it right, not understanding customer wrapped it and thereby made it thicker before he handed it off to them. Item came back, installed normal in my own 124 after we stripped that off, then went back to customer and another shop got the install done right. Thus, really not a fan of folks wrapping the crosspipe, or any part of the exhaust system frankly. If your goal is to destroy the stainless material, and perhaps burn your car to the ground, then wrap it. The wrap holds moisture and also gathers petroleum emissions from under the hood like any oil leaking (meaning eventually you can have a fire). Result includes fast degradation of that gorgeous polished stainless surface and the welds. Wrapping headers is something that came from Drag Racing, but the Pro Drag Racers know it kills the header in exchange for another 1 or 2 hp scavenging benefit and they accept that it also means they get to rebuild the headers at the end of every race season. For all those reasons every header maker in the world VOID THE WARRANTY if you wrap it. Other than all that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?;)

Well, damn! Now I'll have to reconsider that wrap on my crosspipe!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, damn! Now I'll have to reconsider that wrap on my crosspipe!
I wrapped mine. No issues at all with the wrapping if you first fit it, taking note of where it comes close and then tailor your wrap accordingly. The only issue I had with fitment was as described in a post above....the welds interfere with the nuts at the flange with the cat. It's a poor design which, unless it's been remedied will require some small spacers machined to allow the nuts to sit flat.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
If you folks want to give the oil pan a bit of thermal protection from radiant heat coming off the Crosspipe my preference would be just a strip of thermal tape on that section of the oil pan, like CoolTape by DEI. Leave the Crosspipe NOT wrapped.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Was anyone able to get clarification on what hardware gets reused? I’d like to have new bolts on hand before I start installing.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts