Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 30km yesterday and stop the car about 1.5 hours. Than I started to drive again, I surprise dash shows outside temperature 38 Celsius. Real temperature was 27. After I drive 20km without red lights it starts to drop. And stop at 29. I think engine bay cooling is not nice or temperature sensor is not great location. Also when stop, I open the hood and check the engine bay. It was extremely hot. Only mod GWR High flow mid pipe and quad exhaust

·
Registered
64 Posts
My observations:

1. The displayed temperature is not accurate at all in this car :-(.

2. The engine bay gets very hot (due to the turbo I think).

3. I love the car so these things don't really bother me...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Outside temp indicators take a while to stabilize and then indicate a fairly true ambient temp after some minutes. Your experience is normal. Park the car in the sun, and start again, it will show much higher temp that actual. In a few minutes it will stabilize.

Under hood temps will tend to be hotter that expected, all normal stuff. Don't worry...enjoy....

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The sensor is in the left side fender in front of the wheel, behind the front light. It's a fairly tightly enclosed space, with very little air flow. I don't think much air can be cycled in, so will take a while to stabilize - as in 10-20 minutes depending on the temperature disparity.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the turbo makes the engine compartment really hot on comparison to a na car. there are turbo blankets available which reduce under hood temps. also when the car is stationary, the cooling system is not working, so the temps will rise without the airflow of the vehicle's motion, and the coolant circulation. also radiant heating of the car being parked in the sunlight will cause temperature to rise dramatically, effecting the temperature. within 15 minutes, a car's interior can rise 30 degrees Fahrenheit if parked in direct sunlight. down here, it is not uncommon for people to cook pets and children who were left in cars for "just a few minutes".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts