Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just ordered and received the wrong color aerosol paint from Automotive Touchup. Does anyone absolutely know the paint code?

I'm with Jks9256. I just want to buy the darned thing and be done with it.

BTW, in an email exchange with Desiraparts (UK) they told me that at some point they will be selling it but they don't have a timeline.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Jim, yesterday I popped that sucker out, took a aerosol can of 206 Ford Red plastic-kote engine enamel paint, sprayed it 3 times over several hours, popped it back in that evening and today she is as pretty as can be.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jim, yesterday I popped that sucker out, took a aerosol can of 206 Ford Red plastic-kote engine enamel paint, sprayed it 3 times over several hours, popped it back in that evening and today she is as pretty as can be.
Steve, to clarify, the Ford 206 paint is a good match to the red mirror caps and lower red front grill trim?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jim....I worked for the government...close enough
So I ordered the Ford paint online today (the local Pep Boys doesn't carry it). Steve, did you use primer and/or a final application of clearcoat?

·
Registered
493 Posts
So I ordered the Ford paint online today (the local Pep Boys doesn't carry it). Steve, did you use primer and/or a final application of clearcoat?
No..the only thing that I did prior to painting was to take an old manicure sandpaper block of my wife's and used it to rough up the surface of the plastic for better paint adhesion. I put on one surgical glove and held the cap by one of the edge clips and sprayed away. Since it was a plastic-kote type paint, I did not see a reason to spray with a clear. I bought this can of paint about 16 years ago at a Pep Boys and used it to spray the center caps on my '99 Miata after they had begun turning yellow.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
No..the only thing that I did prior to painting was to take an old manicure sandpaper block of my wife's and used it to rough up the surface of the plastic for better paint adhesion. I put on one surgical glove and held the cap by one of the edge clips and sprayed away. Since it was a plastic-kote type paint, I did not see a reason to spray with a clear. I bought this can of paint about 16 years ago at a Pep Boys and used it to spray the center caps on my '99 Miata after they had begun turning yellow.
Was it hard to pull it out, did you use a heat gun or what. tia

·
Registered
493 Posts
Was it hard to pull it out, did you use a heat gun or what. tia
I just used a flat bladed screwdriver and pushed in the lower hook-type tab, which loosen the lower portion, and it popped out. I did, on the final paint application use my wife's hairdryer, just to fasten the drying time a tad.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yesterday, I was watching a YouTube video of a young Italian couple (?) visiting a dealership to check out the 124 Abarth. In the video, they did a close-up of the tow cap cover, and it is the exact same surface molding pattern as ours, only in red ....so, paint away my friends

·
Registered
575 Posts
This red is eluding people.. has anyone tried to take the car to a paint shop and see if they can use the scanner to get something ?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Forum member 'SteveWy' gave me permission to post this photo on his behalf. He used Ford Red 206 Plastic-Kote on his tow cover. Judging from the photo (computer monitor considered), it looks like a good match. Thanks Steve.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Forum member 'SteveWy' gave me permission to post this photo on his behalf. He used Ford Red 206 Plastic-Kote on his tow cover. Judging from the photo (computer monitor considered), it looks like a good match. Thanks Steve.

Was it the cover that got painted or painted directly on the toe. Cause I check mine the front is all one piece. So if paint the toe directly, off course tape all surrounding that should do it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hmm.. that does look to match up fairly well, but looking at it through the computer and with it being in the shade makes it a little harder to tell for sure. To me the tow seems a bit darker in color but I could just be seeing things

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm not going to be fussy about it if the shade is close enough, as I just want something to tide me over while waiting for the real deal to hit the market. Besides, I'll want a spare anyway. The thing pops out easily with my fingernail and I could see it bumping off on a rough road or being stolen by a nefarious Abarth owner, lol.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Frank ...I bought the lower bar, and soon to be installed mirror caps off of Ebay from Desira Group in Great Britain. If I am understanding your question, the only thing that got painted by me was the tow cover cap (3 coats) ....the bar and mirror caps come red.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Frank ...I bought the lower bar, and soon to be installed mirror caps off of Ebay from Desira Group in Great Britain. If I am understanding your question, the only thing that got painted by me was the tow cover cap (3 coats) ....the bar and mirror caps come red.
What about if Masked the rest of the front spoiler, instead of buying the lower bar, you paint it directly, it's the same thing, except painting the bar you don't need to mask the rest of the front car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts