Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the LW around town and l received complaints about passenger legroom. What the heck is that big lump on the passenger side of the gearbox?
I was able to deflect that whining with a skillfully executed series of fast corners, but of course her comments weren't as entertaining as Ricardo Patrese's wife in that classic youtube video. :)
But that inevitably led to another series of complaints.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was driving the LW around town and l received complaints about passenger legroom. What the heck is that big lump on the passenger side of the gearbox?
I was able to deflect that whining with a skillfully executed series of fast corners, but of course her comments weren't as entertaining as Ricardo Patrese's wife in that classic youtube video. :)
But that inevitably led to another series of complaints.
Best regards
Pete
The hump next to the center console (on the passenger side of the gearbox) is from stamping in the floor boards to make room for a catalytic converter in the miata. It isn't needed in the fiat, but it's not like they were going to provide their own floorboards for the fiat.

The other intrusion into the passenger footwell is from the subwoofer (if Bose equipped) or a styrofoam block so that non-bose models didn't end up with more room in the footwell than the higher end Bose trim level. It is a hump located directly in front of your passengers feet. It is easy to pull out for more room in the footwell, but it makes a bit of a mess with the preformed carpeting.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The subwoofer is an absurdly large intrusion on passenger legroom. I posted this elsewhere, but here you can see how big that thing is. If you don't have the Bose system than you get an equivalent sized piece of Styrofoam. Ameridans blog has helpful info if you look for it. I took it out (and put a better sub in the trunk.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had heard about the sub woofer, luckily she isn't troubled by that. I hadn't heard about the cat location in the Miata though. I'd imagine having that heat source must require lots of insulation or a roasted passenger. In my NB, that location became very hot in the summer and the forum had plenty of fixes to make it more bearable.
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
Best regards,
Pete

·
Registered
727 Posts
I really dislike that hump. Yet my S/O passenger has never made a complaint, so I stay mum about it.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
The Cat intrusion is, of course, on the driver's side on RHD cars where you notice it less. Subwoofer still eats the passenger side stretch room though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts