Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or should I say, the Spider who cried tire pressure warning.

I have a Classica, so the system doesn’t rely on individual sensors, but differences in wheel speed. I got new tires, and after getting three alarms within two weeks, all while in the left lane of a multiple lane freeway, I diagnosed that one tire was a pound and a half above the rest.

I will assume that most of us on this forum are knowledgeable about cars and will take the time to sort out an issue. What concerns me is the average American who will automatically think oh it’s another false alarm and keep driving when there is actually a real problem with a tire.

The Mazda system needs to do a better job at sorting out the “iffy” from the “oh sh#t”. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
342 Posts
Unfortunately since the Classica has no real sensors and not real pressure readouts like the 500 does, it basically trains you to ignore the warnings. Warning went off in mine and I pulled over and there tires were just fscking fine. No idea why it freaked out. Hasn't gone off since. I have considered retrofitting an aftermarket tpms so I can know what actual pressures are .

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
658 Posts
Huh. Does the abarth have real tpms?
Yes…and the 2019 & 2020 Classicas and Lussos as well, according to Aneridan’s blog.

“ABARTH (and MY 2019, 2020 Classica & Lusso) wheels have/require
individual TPMS sensors:
→ →• North America: 315 Mhz
→ →• UK/Europe + Australia: 433 Mhz; details
Note: If the sensors are the new rubber type, they are not reusable on replacement rims, per MAZDA bulletin.”

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,587 Posts
The early Classica / Lusso system is fine and works great. To me it's very clever and has the advantage of no wheel sensors to go bad.

I don't think of it as a low-tire-pressure warning system; I think of it as a difference-in-pressure-between-tires warning system. It works using the wheel speed sensors and starts with the presumption that the tires are all the same pressure thus and all the same diameter. Once cold tire pressures are set and the system calibrated by pressing the reset button on the dashboard, any subsequent difference in rotational speed is due to one or more tires being low with respect to the others.

The driver who ignores the warning does so at their own peril. I stupidly ignored it on a local drive and got home to find out I had a metal staple in a rear tire and it was noticeably deflated.

The system is not designed to protect idiots who drive around without checking air pressure at all, relying on the TPMS to tell them that their neglected tires finally reached 24 PSI (or whatever the trigger point happens to be). That kind of functionality should only be needed for SUVs and minivans, not sports cars. Pragmatically the early Classica / Lusso system probably would function as a low-pressure warning for neglected tires, because in all likelihood the tires would lose pressure at different rates and thus eventually there would be enough pressure differential to trigger the alarm.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Annoying as this beeping noise is, it has always correctly heralded an actual puncture for me - And my car seems to be a magnet for them!

This week's visit to a tyre fitter caused by an animal tooth!

Reactions: Magoffin
1 - 7 of 7 Posts