Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main attraction to me when I purchased my 2020 124 Abarth was it's external styling. Sure, I loved the fact that it handled way above its "weightclass" and that the platform was super light, but the external styling, to my eye, was among the most beautiful on the road today. That said, the interior has always struck me as remarkably eclectic in terms of the use of materials/finishes. It almost seemed as if they finished the interior with leftover parts.

For example, in my Abarth (US), the steering wheel uses wonderful perforated leather yet that material appears nowhere else in the interior. The shift boot is almost black plastic with black stitching yet the dash is a different leather with red stitching. The starter ring and steering wheel hub rings are shiny chrome, yet the vent rings are brushed chrome and the shifter plate and steering wheel trim are more like a faux brushed silver. In terms of the use of black, the cup holders are gloss black (used nowhere else), the center dash vent trim panel is satin black (used nowhere else) and the between seat console parts are flat black.

Now, I'm quite aware that you only get so much for $30K and if I wanted a uniform/highend interior, Mercedes and Porsche have fine offerings albeit for $40K+ more. That said, I think a lot can be done with aftermarket modding to make our cars "interiorly" more cohesive and a bit more premium looking. Granted, these types of efforts are not everyone's "cup of tea". That said, while I am far from finished, here are some of the efforts I have made to make my interior more uniform thanks to the creative minds here at 124Spider and at the Miata site:

Attachments

· 124 Spider Vendor
1,331 Posts
Yes, Miata platform, and yes Fiat barely redressed the interior that remains essentially the same as ND Miata. That said, Fiat made some nice changes where they could. For example the steering wheel is slightly and nicely thicker in Fiat version.

· Registered
727 Posts
Also, the door cards are different. Where my arm rests and my hand falls on the handle are perfectly ergonomic for me.

Reactions: Mikeydred

· Registered
Fiat 124 Spider w/ Abarth LSD & RM
350 Posts
Mx5 door cards are more simple, they really have worries on the weight... I can imagine that ours have just a few grams more, but everything added they have a less then 1000kg car. Of course the motor and gearbox mainly make the difference. But I think our car can't be lighter then 1050kg.
So I think one of the most interesting improve in the interior can be some lighter seats... :unsure:

But OK, for those you just want cosmetics and comfort mods... what matters it's the way you use the car, and what makes you feel better.

· Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,568 Posts
I much prefer the Spider’s door panels than those weird MX-5 doors.

Fiat’s design is much classier.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: wolf18t

· Registered
2,568 Posts
For reference, this is the MX-5 door
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Grey Automotive design

· Registered
2,785 Posts
The Spider's silver door pull makes a big difference in my opinion. I do wish our doors had at least a small storage bin. Still gotta get myself some of that red piping.

I think the Mazda looks better when there is more color contrast between the black lower area and the body-color upper area, I like the stitching on its armrest.

· Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
450 Posts
I wouldn’t mind swapping to the Mazda doors but you also have to swap the dash pad as the place where the doors and dash meetup are different. Mazda also makes Alcantara versions of the door cards that match the Recaro seats.

· Registered
2,785 Posts
@Aldo, I would have enjoyed some of that contrast in my Abarth. My 2020 Giulia has red seats and red on its door trim and instrument panel that I think looks very nice. Sadly, newer Alfas only have red seats and console bin lids.

· Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got around to switching my Abarth HVAC silver dials with orange tabs to the black dials with white tabs from a used Miata Club HVAC unit off eBay.

Attachments

Reactions: james.today

· Registered
Fiat 124 Spider w/ Abarth LSD & RM
350 Posts
For reference, this is the MX-5 door
View attachment 93167
Pretty much in line with some lotus exige door cards...
Automotive parking light Grille Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I admit I bought the car because of the exterior color and tan interior. But if the door cards were like this, I would buy it again and again... no problem.

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,945 Posts
I would pay any amount of money to change out all the ugly AF silver aluminum whatever colour bits with carbon fiber. This car deserves carbon and Alcantara everywhere! The quatrofogilio designers know what’s up, the loaded interior of the first gens was absolutely perfect. Unfortunately I hear it has changed but haven’t had the new one next to the old one to compare yet.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
The bright accents don’t bother me. Mazda used it judiciously, IMO.

I even added some of my own.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part

An all-black interior would look drab AF.

Black is overused these days.

Reactions: Chipshot
1 - 16 of 16 Posts