Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
934 Posts
I'm old enough to know what all that stuff is, although we never had SU carbs on Fiats or Alfas, that was a British car thing.

I'm glad you like it. You used the term "more consistent" that's a very good way to put it. As the stock valve opens and closes it doesn't always close consistently, the GFB is much more consistent. I forgot to point that out.

Greg
I added the GFB to my Lusso and find that boost seems to come on a little earlier and smoother. Does that make sense?

The only difficulty in the installation was that I had to remover the V1 intake tube because it is thicker than stock and made the GFB a tight fit. Once the GFB was on, the V1 intake tube went back on with only a little coaxing into the narrowed gap between the GFB and the turbo.

Reactions: NYProf

· Registered
934 Posts
Hey, at least you have an excuse in being a home wrench. I used to be an aircraft mechanic and had the idea of "never doing anything without instructions in hand, no matter how many times you've done it before" totally ingrained into my way of thinking. Or, at least I used to.
I couldn't wait to install mine as soon as I got it, so in the mean time, I watched the video and read the instructions. It makes it so much easier.

· Registered
934 Posts
I just received mine and am puzzled about the use of the spring resulting in a CEL. There was no mention of this anywhere else and it's going to be a PITA if this is a regular occurrence.
What experience have you others had?
Pete
No codes here. I followed the instructions and never had an issue. Checked for codes yesterday and had none.

· Registered
934 Posts
I got the 2 big clamps that came with the V1 that go at both ends. Do the other 2 connectors need clamps I don't know.
I can confirm that you don't need the two smaller clamps. I installed it with them, then removed them after EC confirmed that they are not needed, and it looks better without them.

· Registered
934 Posts
That is an indexing guide for the original intake tube...
You are correct. It is a guide for the stock intake and an obstruction to the EC intake. Since it is not necessary for the EC intake to slide on any further, it is of no consequence.

· Registered
934 Posts

· Registered
934 Posts
sorry if this request may be redundant but I'm not pretty sure on what I've read until now. I've purchased the GFB valve for my Abarth and I'm in the process of installing it: should I fit it WITH the main central spring or WITHOUT it?

thanks for your help
Use all the parts that came with the GFB.

Reactions: Greg

· Registered
934 Posts
A bit off topic: I'm looking at the ad for the Infiniti QX80 over on the right side of the page. It reminds me of a pilot whale. From that angle, it has got to be the ugliest thing since the Pontiac Aztek.

· Registered
934 Posts
Just to be clear, once you have moved the yellow part away from the connection, you must push in on the black tab to release the connector. It is a two part lock. The black part snaps into the connector to hold it in place. They yellow part locks the black part from accidentally being pressed in and releasing the connector.

· Registered
934 Posts
I used the spring and it works fine. I'm not sure what "compressor surge and turbo flutter" feels like, but the turbo spools up quicker and smoother with the GFB DV+. I've put 10,000 miles on mine since installation, with no issues.

Reactions: PureAdrenaline

· Registered
934 Posts
Got everything fitted today - no real complications other than I had to loosen up the coolant reservoir and move it aside to tighten up the DV+ - I couldn't get my 5mm hex socket in to the third screw with it in place. No biggy. I did do the DV+ while the intake was off during the swap out for the V1.

Thanks for all the advice on this thread. Not going first sure has its benefits...:)
I'm really surprised that you had to loosen the coolant reservoir. When I installed mine, the coolant reservoir was not an issue. To get the "third" screw aligned, I just made it the first screw. Once it was in place and loosely fitted, the other (top) screws were easy to align and tighten.

· Registered
934 Posts
Guess my tool is bigger than yours ;):)
Just the opposite. A bigger tool allows me to slip it in all the way, without any interference.>:)

Reactions: 68wooley

· Registered
934 Posts
True, but I didn't work on those much either. I have done some work on the 280Z/ZXs, but those were fuel injection.

It's interesting, but the Japanese had copies on nearly every type of fuel system from Europe. They had SU clones, and Weber clones. They also built an exact copy of Bosch's early L-Jetronic fuel injection system, which was in all the fuel injected Z cars up until 1990!

In typical Japanese fashion, although it was an exact copy they made improvements in the way it was setup. For example wiring and hoses had better supports to reduce the chances of poor connection and or leaks.

Greg
I love talk about SUs. It takes me back to my high school and college days. I had a '53 TR3, until it was broadsided by a '65 Impala. Then I had a '58 MGA. I miss the morning routine of topping off carbs everyday before going to school or work.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.