Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
321 - 325 of 325 Posts

· Read Only
1,690 Posts
The instructions for the DV+ T9356 mention two types of set-up.
  1. Progressive mode (use with the “main spring”)
  2. Standard (bang-bang open/close) mode (use without the “main spring”)
With a manual transmission, I can see the benefit of Progressive mode. But the caveat is possibly throwing fault code P2261.

My car is an automatic. My main interest is earlier and smoother transition onto boost. Since I’m not rapidly closing / opening the throttle during shifting, I’m thinking to install in Standard mode and avoid the chance of throwing the code. Thoughts?

Also, there is no bolt torque specification in the instructions. Has anyone seen the spec?

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
2,218 Posts
Pure rampant speculation on my part but...

If I recall the stock piston is plastic is it not? It may be self lubricating to a certain extent but over time might suffer a little wear and then become more leaky. The GFB brass piston would do the opposite but might benefit from a periodic lubrication in its lifetime. Anybody care to nominate an appropriate mileage?

Don't be afraid to call this speculation out as arrant nonsense as I'm just musing on a Sunday morning stuck inside with the sun out and perfect driving weather.
From what I know about brass is that it is very slick. They made incredible paintball barrels! So brass would be self lubricating, of course oil will help it seal and slide better. Plastic I’m not too sure about. Likely plastic with its light weight is prone to wedging itself from whatever slop there is. Plus plastic has more drag than brass.

· Read Only
1,690 Posts
Dropped in the GFB DV+ T9356 this evening. I hemmed and hawed about whether or not to use it in progressive mode; in the end I just decided to give it a try.

There was some engine oil on the factory piston and some oil in the valve chamber on the turbo. This must have been residual from before I installed the catch can. It was a nice opportunity to clean it up. I also found that the diverter valve connector was fairly oily, so I used some electrical contact cleaning spray to clean up both sides.

I only went out for a short drive and didn't yet have an opportunity to try various driving conditions. But I did notice that the transmission shifts were much snappier in full automatic mode. Whereas before, there was an odd little hesitation during the shift, now it's more like blip and you're in the next gear without any sensation of power being interrupted momentarily.

321 - 325 of 325 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.