Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

The one thing I wish this car had....

9K views 102 replies 32 participants last post by  Augerhandle 
#1 ·
First...I love this car...no question about that, but....nothing is perfect.
So, I wish, wish, wish...

I wish it had a zip out rear window....I miss the one on my NA often...

On these high 90º days, with the sun beating straight down, top up, rear window down....miss it.

You?

#3 ·
A storage pocket in the door. 🤔

#13 ·
Yeah, I have dropped my wallet down the side of my door a few times. A habit from my previous car.

I am happy with a glass window and no zipper. Not sure I would ever use it. Thankfully, I only work a few miles from home. I drop the top, enjoy my morning drive and the sun does little to bother me. If I lived further away maybe I would have a different opinion.

#4 ·
An aircraft hanger garage like they have in the USA or a double garage even as some people have here....in some ways it's just as well I don't have the aircraft hanger / farm shed as I would fill it with......Big Healey, MGA, MGC, TR4A (surrey top) and.....wait a minute ....sorry Bob Mate, I nearly started a thread within a thread there.....Cheers
ron

Reactions: Stevebad and Bob T
#5 ·
There are a few things I wish it had, but when push comes to shove, none of them are showstoppers for me in any real capacity. But regarding the OP in this thread, I prefer having a glass rear window because it has defogging/defrosting wires in it. If it's a sunny day, I drive with the top down. But if super hot, I just put the top up and, depending upon traffic conditions, roll the windows down for some additioanl ventilation. It's a trade off I'm okay with because I appreciate having the rear window clear to see through on humid or really cold mornings. And for those that winter drive the vehicle, even more important. IMHO.... after all, it's what you like or want that's truly important, not what anyone else thinks per say.

When the time comes to replace your roof, maybe you can get a custom replacement done for the rear window and have a zip-off plastic version sewn in for you.

Reactions: CXXIV and Bob T
#8 ·
You Pussy Graeme....... 😄

#16 ·
Better paint.

#18 ·
Oh yeah.... forgot about that. Likely because I fixed that with mine as well. And heck, while we're at it.... how about a display of all the tires' pressure and temps read from the direct TPMS sensors, including which tire they're reporting it from.

#21 ·
i actually wish my specific car has a feature that the model does come with -- the red convertible top. my car is white and i think the red top would look amazing on it. i wonder how much it is to purchase a replacement as i think it was a pretty rare or infrequently selected option.

#34 ·
Easily resolved. Do some searching here for BillaVista (he's also one of the mods), and he has a site of his own with lots of useful mods you can undertake. One of htem was converting those empty red spaces into flashing brake lights... I did a variation of that, and ran wiring to a switch mounted above my hood release that gives me two rear fogs.

Reactions: Spazzz2002
#28 ·
Basically a better digital screen in the cluster. Can be used to see digital speed readout, boost and other parameters. Something like VW put in there most basic and cheap cars. And can also replicate songs playing and nav directions. They are in every othe car.

Other than that, I've fixed everything i didnt like with mods

#29 ·
Basically a better digital screen in the cluster. Can be used to see digital speed readout, boost and other parameters. Something like VW put in there most basic and cheap cars. And can also replicate songs playing and nav directions. They are in every othe car.

Other than that, I've fixed everything i didnt like with mods
@boddle88 i saw some guy who redid his screen/infotainment system while keeping factory settings for about 1k USD. kind of a steep price for a system that works, but doesn't work well, but i think it would be worth it eventually.

#31 ·
@Davy Jordi yes, and I think installing Android Auto you could get Torque working through that.

I have hidden magnet behind the dash just below the screen, allows me to mount my phone there and I get Torque readouts on tthat. However something with the digital screen in tthe cluster would be nice!

#35 ·
Indeed. We just have one fog in the UK so I wired in the other one which looks awesome..

I did use LEDs firstly but that caused the fog lamp indicator on the dashboard to go off after 3 seconds....so I went to bright normal bulbs which works fine..

Your mileage may vary..

Reactions: CDPond
#41 ·
Pluses to both scenarios. For you, a much simpler installation. For me, I was able to use full LEDs, and run all my needed wriing up through the trunk at the same time as I had all the lining pulled out to install sound deadening tiles. They're super bright, but I wish they were tied in with the front fogs so I only had one switch to concern myself with. But already saved my a$$ a couple of times while driving through the mountains in heavy mist or fog conditions.

#40 ·
Yeah the mx5 got it in 2019 I think? Dont think it carried over to 124.

@CXXIV yes that is quite smart!

#43 ·
I think the only thing I would change from the car is the power, I'm happy with everything else

#48 ·
Yep, one of them too back on the 1990 E30 BMW 320i I think...you wee supposed to look at the needle showing how much fuel you were using, lift off and return the needle to "TightA*s* position.....I used Black asking tape, cut exactly to shape of glass...and it bothered me no more !
r

Reactions: Chipshot
#50 ·
I had an upshift indicator on my '17 VW GTI and it was annoying. I'm driving a manual, the redline is indicated on the tach, don't "suggest" to me when to shift.

#52 ·
I admit I was surprised to see it. My manual transmission has some associated electronics. How 21st century. Is Big Brother monitoring what gear I’m in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.