Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had real doubts about changing my car. I loved my "Jurassic Park" Jeep, the kids loved it, people photographed it, the kids cried when I told them I was trading it.

Driving my Spider home from the dealer last night, I knew I had made a great decision! I just loved the drive, its responsiveness, as many people look at it at traffic lights as they did at the Jeep. I never even tried Sports mode yet - it's quite incredible in regular mode. My wife was following in her car and had no chance at keeping up. I had one of my kids in the passenger seat, the one who had cried the loudest at losing the Jeep. Well, the instant grin on her face as we took off from the traffic lights, top down, middle of winter at night (10 degrees C here in Australia at the time) - just loving it.

THE RIGHT DECISION.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Aloha!!!!!

great looking Abarth...the only other option I would have requested...if it was available to me...would be the right hand drive! That would be sick in Hawaii! Now its time to use the sports mode and get a few upgrades (muffler delete exhaust) You think your daughter had a grin?!?!?!...wait till you hear the rumble of a new exhaust!!! Yippeeee you won't be able to stop grinning.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow, congratulations!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ha-too funny! I took my nephew for a spirited spin up in NC over Thanksgiving. I was doing a pretty good clip through a neighborhood and there was a slight rise at the end of a block. We went airborne for about 10 feet. I think he's probably finally stuck his head out of his jacket by now....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went from a beloved Jeep Wrangler to my Spider as well. It’s been a total blast. I’ll always love and miss the Jeep, but I have zero regrets about getting the Spider. Such a joy to drive. One year and 12,000 miles later and still smiling. Congrats!

Mine lives in Sport mode now. The heated seats also get a decent workout. Love this car!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fiat 124 Spider

Test drove a number of 124's yesterday, both 2019 & 2018's. Each time I noticed the vehicle with the 16" wheels ran much smoother than the 17' wheels and rims.
Is this something you all know or might the air pressure on the 17" possibly insufficient?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Test drove a number of 124's yesterday, both 2019 & 2018's. Each time I noticed the vehicle with the 16" wheels ran much smoother than the 17' wheels and rims.
Is this something you all know or might the air pressure on the 17" possibly insufficient?
Thanks.
More likely the tire pressure in the 17"s were way too high. The cars come from the factory with the pressures set high (like 40 to 50psi) to avoid the tires flat-spotting during transportation. The dealers are meant to set them to the correct pressure as part of the pre-delivery checks, but a lot of them never do.

Reactions: Butterpants

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info, thanks.
We test drove the 2018 Red Top Lusso and loved everything about it but is seemed to almost vibrating on the road. Much different than the Classica's we drove but my wife of course loved all the bells and whistles on the Red Top.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Smaller rim diameter generally means a taller side wall on the tire. I personally prefer a smaller wheel. The tires are cheaper and the ride is generally better. Besides, I'm 95% just driving around, 5% taking it to the limit. That's one of the reasons I got a Classica. Plus, I like the look of the silver alloy rims. But then I'm old. My kids like the larger black rims of the Abarth cause their "sick".

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had real doubts about changing my car. I loved my "Jurassic Park" Jeep, the kids loved it, people photographed it, the kids cried when I told them I was trading it.

Driving my Spider home from the dealer last night, I knew I had made a great decision! I just loved the drive, its responsiveness, as many people look at it at traffic lights as they did at the Jeep. I never even tried Sports mode yet - it's quite incredible in regular mode. My wife was following in her car and had no chance at keeping up. I had one of my kids in the passenger seat, the one who had cried the loudest at losing the Jeep. Well, the instant grin on her face as we took off from the traffic lights, top down, middle of winter at night (10 degrees C here in Australia at the time) - just loving it.

THE RIGHT DECISION.
Jeeps must be rare where you are, they're a dime a dozen here in the States, no one really looks twice at them. Sport mode makes a difference you can definitely feel, I never drive mine without it on. Welcome to the group, and enjoy your Spider!

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just got my Abarth!
I put 450 miles on it in two days! Mostly cruising in the spring Texas air. It was really a joy at night with the top down!
Comfort and Tech meet nature and the road.
Perfection.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Butterpants I am with you......beautiful clear cool Texas air after a nice spring rain....top down and take a deep breath!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts